Grammar Police: Capitalization Questions

Thunderbroom

• Members

I'm preparing a position paper for a new position that I am in the running for at work. I want to make sure that I'm using proper capitalization in the document.

Here are the instances I have questions about:

Instance #1

When referring to my specific school without using the specific name, is the word that references it capitalized?

1a. I have good working relationships with senior administrators at the College.

or

1b. I have good working relationships with senior administrators at the college.

Instance #2

When referring to my specific department within the school, is the department name capitalized?

2a. It is my belief that the Technical Department is the best on campus.

2b. It is my belief that the technical department is the best on campus.

Instance #3

When referring to the aspired to position within my specific department within the school, is the position name capitalized?

Example:

3a. I believe that I will make a good Chair because...

3b. I believe that I will make a good chair because...

• Members

1) If you're referring to the college as a proper pronoun, IE (Clark College) it would be capitalized.

2) Is the technical department the name of the department, or a colloquialism for several different facilities? If it's the proper name, capitalize.

3) You would be a chairperson, and if this is your title, capitalize Chair.

• Members

Instance #1

When referring to my specific school without using the specific name, is the word that references it capitalized?

1b. I have good working relationships with senior administrators at the college.

Instance #2

When referring to my specific department within the school, is the department name capitalized?

Instance #3

When referring to the aspired to position within my specific department within the school, is the position name capitalized?

Example:

3a. I believe that I will make a good Chair because...

^^^

These.

• Members

I'm preparing a position paper for a new position that I am in the running for at work. I want to make sure that I'm using proper capitalization in the document.

Here are the instances I have questions about:

Instance #1

Answer:

Instance #2

Answer:

Instance #3

Example:

Answer: Neither, because referring to oneself as a "Chair" sounds too cheeky. Say "department-chair" and do not capitalize. Or say Chairperson and capitalize.

:D:D:D

3a. I believe that I will make a good Chair because...fat chicks can sit on me and my structural integrity will not be compromised.

3b. I believe that I will make a good chair because...fat chicks can sit on me and my structural integrity will not be compromised.

:thu:

• Members

1) If you're referring to the college as a proper pronoun, IE (Clark College) it would be capitalized.

2) Is the technical department the name of the department, or a colloquialism for several different facilities? If it's the proper name, capitalize.

3) You would be a chairperson, and if this is your title, capitalize Chair.

1. Right. Not capitalized unless the proper name. You are not naming a specific college (although you are referring to only one); do not capitalize.

2. Right - IF (and I have no way of knowing) "Technical Department" is actually the name of your department. That makes is a proper name; capitalize it.

3. Right. Chair or Chairman or Chairperson are considered titles; capitalize it.

Trust me on this.

• Members

1. Right. Not capitalized unless the proper name. You are not naming a specific college (although you are referring to only one); do not capitalize.

2. Right - IF (and I have no way of knowing) "Technical Department" is actually the name of your department. That makes is a proper name; capitalize it.

3. Right. Chair or Chairman or Chairperson are considered titles; capitalize it.

Trust me on this.

Yep.

• Members

Whee!!!

I'm putting in a lot of effort into the document. I just wonder if anyone will actually read it. The more I've reflected on this, the more I think I really do want the job. It's a huge step-up in responsibility as I'll go from managing an $8000 budget and no employees to over an over $5.5m budget, 23+ full-time employees and over 100 part-time employees.

• Members

Whee!!!

I'm putting in a lot of effort into the document. I just wonder if anyone will actually read it. The more I've reflected on this, the more I think I really do want the job. It's a huge step-up in responsibility as I'll go from managing an $8000 budget and no employees to over an over $5.5m budget, 23+ full-time employees and over 100 part-time employees.

If you email it, I will proofread it for you and send it back. Being confidential was a big part of my job.

• Members

Instance #1

Instance #3

Example:

Answer: Neither, because referring to oneself as a "Chair" sounds too cheeky. Say "department-chair" and do not capitalize. Or say Chairperson and capitalize.

:D
:D:D

3a. I believe that I will make a good Chair because...fat chicks can sit on me and my structural integrity will not be compromised.

3b. I believe that I will make a good chair because...fat chicks can sit on me and my structural integrity will not be compromised.

Nice. Unless OP is, in fact, going to become a piece of office furniture.

Archived