Lakland 550-01 or G&L 2500 Tribute?

sub5ound

• Members

this is an almost impossible question to answer.

the G&L has every tone immaginable... nearly.

The Lakland is amazing as well if you like MK1s, which I find very one dimensional.

that being said, if it were my money? an MTD kingston and some Aero pickups! ;)

or the G&L. :D

• Members

Smooth modern toanz? Lakland

Raw nasty RAwk toanz? G and L

Lakland Neck is a bit flatter and wider, too wide for my wee hands. The G and L has a 1 3/4" nut width, which can be too small for some, but is perfect for me. Agree that G&L wins the versatility contest hands down, but that can be as much a hindrance as a help (lots of controls).

I'd get the G&L, but thats me :)

• Members

Smooth modern toanz? Lakland

Raw nasty RAwk toanz? G and L

Lakland Neck is a bit flatter and wider, too wide for my wee hands. The G and L has a 1 3/4" nut width, which can be too small for some, but is perfect for me. Agree that G&L wins the versatility contest hands down, but that can be as much a hindrance as a help (lots of controls).

I'd get the G&L, but thats me
:)

:thu:

word.

but don't they make different nut width tribbys too?

• Members

I own a L2500 Tribute, and I love it. I've tried to sell it twice now, and ended up pulling it after a few hours.

The construction is top notch, very solid bass....as good as American basses. (mine is korean)

The electronics are similar to the USA I think? Either exactly the same as the MIA ones or same designs made overseas?

The options are what are awesome. Passive/active/treble boost switch, and series/parallel switch. Plus the active mode sounds fairly passive, which is nice.

The bass is voiced very aggressively in the mids and has tons of output. Lots of punchy snarly bite.

You can dial it out by backing the mids off on your amp to achieve a smoother tone.

The neck is narrow at the nut and fat from board to back, but very comfortable. I would imagine it would be nice for all hand sizes. I have huge hands and it's fairly comfortable. I dig 2" nut widths too.....:o

The low B is really nice for a 34" scale bass. It's probably due to the pickup placement, and the mid emphasis.

Overall, very solid basses for the money.

Although, if I had $500 sitting around I'd buy a USA Millennium 5. :love:

It's very different from the L2500 in nearly every way. Thin neck profile.

As for the Lakland, no clue....but I did install a MK1 preamp and pickups in my Bulldog. I really didn't care for the tone either. It did sound 2D and too scooped for my tastes.

Archived