Gear bag/toolbox recommendations...

bassthumpintwin

• Members

Had to do a little electrical trouble shooting in my basement, so I figured the easiest/fastest way was with an outlet tester and a voltage indicator.

Found some no name "combo kit" at the local super walmart, in the small electrical section for $20.

EM9807_d.jpg

DT830_d.jpg

GK7_d.jpg

Comes with a small canvas zip-up carrying case too. It's no bigger than a small book, so it will easily fit in a glove box, guitar case, gig bag, gear bag, or toolbox.

I'll probably go pick up another just to keep in my car. I'm not gonna say it's top of the line equipment, because it's not; it's all made in china. But I've tested everything, and it seems to work pretty well for average DIY use.

I think everyone should at least have an outlet tester in their bag. A DMM even comes in handy from time to time. Definitely takes some of the guess work out if you go to a practice space and your gears not working right/powering on, etc... Plus you can test your batteries and power supplies to make sure they're working right as well.

I'm sure any local hardware/box store has the same type of kits for similar prices, but I thought I'd just pass it along. It's not Fluke, but it's better than nothing when your on a budget. And you can't beat the size/price.

• Members

Well, like I said, you don't have to just keep it JUST in your gear bag. It will fit in your glove box or under your car seat. But if you're like me, you run into a bad outlet, tripped breaker, bad power supply, faulty fuse, or half dead batteries that get mixed in with the good ones from time to time, and it's nice to have an electrical tester on hand from time to time to rule things out and narrow things down.

Granted, with my electrical background, I probably do a lot more of my own troubleshooting/repair that the average musician/sound tech knows how to do, so I suppose this may not be a viable accessory for everyone, although I think everyone should learn how to use a basic multimeter and understand SOME basics of electricity. Especially since it surrounds so much of what we deal with/work with everyday.

And since this weights all of 1lb and can just about fit in a pants pocket, I don't see what it would hurt to shove under a car seat, in the back of a rack case, or in a case or gig/gear bag. :idk:

And it's cheap! ;)

• Members

As far as a gigging toolbox goes, I have a checklist.

1 Roll, Gaff Tape

1 Roll, Masking Tape

1 mini-MagLite.

1 box, fuses, assorted (in my case I have 2 of every type my rig, and my guitarist's rigs use, as well as a few others in case anyone else blows one)

2 sharpies, silver and black

1 set of extra strings (they're usually the set from the last time I changed, coiled up)

1 multimeter (as cheap as I can get away with)

1 outlet tester

1 extra strap (cheapie)

2 extra 20' patch cables

1 pair wire cutters

1 6-piece screwdiver

1 2-pack of 9v batteries

1 extra IEC power cable.

1 bag, assorted zip ties

It all fits in a backpack, and it's saved my ass on a few occasions/made me a hero at a gig.

Archived