(OT) Balanced signal path....

knuckle_head

• Members

I am designing a balanced circuit and am perplexed by a few things.

Can a balanced tone pot share a capacitor or will I need one for each side?

I am familiar with ceramic caps, but am finding all the Sprague stuff to be non-ceramic - is this an issue?

I am doing all the balanced shaping/control before the transformer - is this bad?

I bet I'll come up with one or two more.....

• Moderators

One is fine. As long as it's not tantal,
electrolyte
, or a supercap they work in equally in both polarities. Doesn't even matter which way you put them into the circuit.

I've seen an increasing number of bipolar electrolytics. More dummy proof than before! :D

• Moderators

Depends on how you're going to do it, I suppose. Seems to me that there is no inherent ground side to a pickup, so you'd have +, -, and ground. The tone cap would be shorting the highs not to ground, but from + to -, so the highs wouldn't be going into the signal path to the amp. One cap should be fine.

• Members

Depends on how you're going to do it, I suppose. Seems to me that there is no inherent ground side to a pickup, so you'd have +, -, and ground. The tone cap would be shorting the highs not to ground, but from + to -, so the highs wouldn't be going into the signal path to the amp. One cap should be fine.

If a humbucker were wired to be balanced (+ - and ground) and share a common ground a single cap would work....

• Moderators

If a humbucker were wired to be balanced (+ - and ground) and share a common ground a single cap would work....

I'd think so. However, a cap from each (+ and -) to ground would also work, but then you'd need a stacked pot as well, right?

I'd try a single cap in series with a single pot wired as a rheostat, straight from + to -.

Archived