Pondering an LDS Build

mlwarriner

• Members

:lol:

Is he behind bars yet?

Playing gigs, loving life and not shipping cabs. I bet he's still taking orders though. I'm not up to date since the TB thread was shut down but every once in a while I sneak a peek at his Facebook or MySpace to see that he is doing better than he would like his customers to know. Then I go check out the "Boycott Dr. Bass" page to find, suprise suprise, people still waiting years for a cab. Anyway, don't mean to derail, Matt i think you should definitely rock the LDS 6x10 if he comes back to you with a good price. Then sell it to me for 40% off in a few weeks :lol:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
just for {censored}s and giggles see if Dr. Bass will shoot you a quote

AFAIK, I was the first on the forum to buy Dr. Bass. I loved that little rig and I like his product in general. And, as much as Marc has earned his rep and then some, I feel bad for the guy. I can't believe how many customers I've sent to him, kinda gives me a weird feeling when I think about it. :facepalm:

• Members

i got a quote of about 600 for a 2-way neo 6x10 - tilt-back, fridge style, 900 watts, etc.

and 550 for the non-neo version.

i figure it's a pretty basic cabinet, that should pretty well cover my needs.

and for the dumb kid - what's the (tonal) difference (in general) between sealed and ported?

• Members

i got a quote of about 600 for a 2-way neo 6x10 - tilt-back, fridge style, 900 watts, etc.

and for the dumb kid - what's the (tonal) difference (in general) between sealed and ported?

Ported = deeper/looser response

Sealed = tighter/quicker response

• Members

Generalization: Sealed cabs will roll off earlier in the low end but do it more smoothly. Ported cabs will have more sensitivity under ~150hz but will roll off very rapidly and may, depending on the design, have a "bump" around 100hz that, in worst cases is boomy - in many cases it gives a "warm" tone, when it's subtle.

The Basslite s2010, which is probably what Don would use, has a high enough QTS that it will behave decently in either type of cabinet, but I'd suggest porting it. No real reason not to get some extra sensitivity. Just my opinion though.

The neo version will not sound like an old vintage 70s fridge, just FYI. The neo drivers have a much different midrange breakup than those old speakers (which are basically guitar drivers).

The 6x10 ported with basslites probably has more in common with the new Mesa PH610 than anything, if I had to take a guess. Sealed, I'd expect it to be kind of similar to an NV610, but I expect there would be some differences in the midrange tones of course.

All ballpark guesses of course.

• Members

WOW! 600.00 for a loaded neo 610? I wonder what they would build a loaded neo 612 for???? :love:

can ya see the wheels spinning in here?

• Members

Ported = deeper/looser response

Sealed = tighter/quicker response

Well, ported cabs with the same driver will go deeper but everything else here is urban legend. Depending on what you mean by "tighter."

The quicker response thing is perception based entirely on the frequency response of cabs. Poorly designed ported cabs are the real culprit here since a big boom in the upper bass from a too small ported cab is what makes it sound "slow" most of the time.

• Members

FYI: Be sure to request the ultralight plywood. It might cost a few bucks more but it's well worth it. Figure 10+lbs difference in weight.

• Members

Well, ported cabs with the same driver will go deeper but everything else here is urban legend. Depending on what you mean by "tighter."

The quicker response thing is perception based entirely on the frequency response of cabs. Poorly designed ported cabs are the real culprit here since a big boom in the upper bass from a too small ported cab is what makes it sound "slow" most of the time.

I'm not talking poorly designed vs not poorly designed vs driver a vs driver b. I'm talking similar cab dimensions and similar drivers. This being the case, ported cabs will go deeper and have a "looser" (slower low-end rolloff) response than sealed cabs.

• Members

so, if one were going to try and build (or have built for them) a good all-around cabinet. stand-alone. full in sound from top to bottom. good lows, good mids, good highs, etc.

would one choose ported or sealed?

Ported for the style of music you generally play.

• Members

I'm not talking poorly designed vs not poorly designed vs driver a vs driver b. I'm talking similar cab dimensions and similar drivers. This being the case, ported cabs will go deeper and have a "looser" (slower low-end rolloff) response than sealed cabs.

You are backwards. Ported cabs roll off very quickly but do it lower. Sealed cabs start earlier and roll off more slowly.

And in terms of "looser" vs "tighter" vs "quicker response" - the quicker response thing is not really true. It might sound like it, but it's purely an artifact of the way the cabinet responds frequency-wise.

• Members

so, if one were going to try and build (or have built for them) a good all-around cabinet. stand-alone. full in sound from top to bottom. good lows, good mids, good highs, etc.

The biggest choice for highs is going to be the tweeter and crossover. I would suggest you consult with the goons on talkbass, but based on what I know about Don's product availability I would suggest an 18 sound XD125 HF section crossed over at 2khz or so. 2500hz maybe.

Absolutely get the horn on an on/off switch in addition to the attenuator, so that you can disable it if you want to use distortion.

• Moderators

I might choose the NV610. :idk:

• Members

based on what? my "new" style is highly different from my "old" style...

i don't need tons of lows, but if i want a tin-can sound i'll take up guitar
:D
:D

Here's a comparison for you.

Both are 6 cf cabs with 400w. Note it will be 5.3 ohms.

Both have +6db applied parametric, 1 octave q @ 60hz. I am not sure if it gives you a great idea, but basically eq'ing a lot of low end bloom into a sealed cab is really hard. You have to do it by cutting mids and highs which requires more precision than just turning down the mid knob on most bass heads.

sealedvported.png

Archived