Pondering an LDS Build

mlwarriner

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
oddly enough, when i tried a berg nv610, i didn't like it.
:idk:

What didn't you like? The 1100 dollar price tag and the 100lb weight are what make it a non-issue for me, but I am mostly about function and I'm also cheap.

• Members
Then I wouldn't order a sealed 6x10!
:idea:

didn't like the way it sounded. probably a lack of lows, iirc. but. i was playing it in a shop, solo, and not in a band context. and wasn't able to really dig into it, as the shop was smallish and had other customers that i didn't want to deafen.

• Members

Get it ported man.

indeed.

and i've decided against the 6x12 idea. just...too much. even for me.

so. 6x10 neo, two way with a galaxy mid driver and no tweeter (i just disconnect or turn them all the way off anyhow). ported. duratex covering, tilt-back wheels and handles all over.

sounds good.

• Members

indeed.

and i've decided against the 6x12 idea. just...too much. even for me.

so. 6x10 neo, two way with a galaxy mid driver and no tweeter (i just disconnect or turn them all the way off anyhow). ported. duratex covering, tilt-back wheels and handles all over.

sounds good.

Using a mid driver that small is not a good idea. The galaxy mid is loud enough for maybe a 2x10. Your whole cab will sound crazy scooped and blowing the mid would be easy.

I'd recommend at least a pair of Alphalite 6cbmrs, B&C 6md38s, or a single 18 sound 6nd410.

Figure you're 96db sensitivity, for each doubling you get +3db, so realistically you've got around a 100-101db sensitive cabinet. If you want as much mids as you get out of the basslites without a mid driver, you'll want more like 105db in the mids (so a pair of 6nd410s or three 6md38s at least).

My suggestion would be to run it with an HF section and just spend on a very nice HF section crossed over around 2khz. A BMS horn driver and a nice horn, or an 18 sound XD125, and get the horn switchable.

• Members

out of curiosity - is this a stupid idea?

design the cab to split the difference between "ideal" size for a ported cab and "ideal" side for a sealed cab, port it, and get some sort of expanding rubber plug to plug the ports if i wanted to seal it?

is that completely a {censored}ing stupid idea? or not? i know trace did it with some of their cabs, but was it a good idea then?

• Members

design the cab to split the difference between "ideal" size for a ported cab and "ideal" side for a sealed cab, port it, and get some sort of expanding rubber plug to plug the ports if i wanted to seal it?

is that completely a {censored}ing stupid idea? or not? i know trace did it with some of their cabs, but was it a good idea then?

I don't know anything about cab building, so I could be entirely wrong, but if you are going to invest in a custom made cab, why would you want it to be mediocre at two things when you could have it be great at 1 thing? It seems to me like there is potential for 1 awesome design either ported or sealed, but doing something in between is going to be giving you a less than awesome version of each...

• Moderators

Short answer = bad idea.

• Members

Plugging is fine. Mixing where some are ported and some are sealed is a bad idea. The power handling on the bottom end is much different with a ported vs. sealed cab, so you could be blowing one set of drivers while washing out the cues that they're blowing with the other drivers working fine.

However, a much better idea than plugging is to use multi-tunable ports. Tune the cab low to get a smoother rolloff, tune the cab higher to get a bigger midbass bump. Alex from Barefaced Bass does this on his Vintage, and it's just smart.

• Members

Short answer = bad idea.

i'm finding this more and more true. its been said (several times, several places) when you try to get the best of both worlds, you get the meh instead.

ok. so. optimal size ported box.

how many and what for mid drivers? i really dont have any desire for a "tweeter". i was thinking a pair of galaxy neo mid drivers, but are there better options for not a lot more money?

• Members

I would seriously think about the XD125 horn crossed over fairly low - it's not like what you are used to with bass cabs.

If not that, and I wanted to minimize frontage on the baffle, I would use a trio of these:

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/ps.php?id=101010100

If you don't mind having a slightly wider/taller cab, shallower, I'd go with a pair of 18 sound 6nd410s, or a pair of Eminence Alphalite 6cbmrs.

I don't tend to prefer the closed back mids, but the alpha 6 closed backs get a pretty good rap.

• Members

No matter what you do it is going to cost to get enough mid drivers for that cabinet. I'd skip it and get the horn myself as one horn @ 109db sensitivity is going to keep up with the whole cab, but it'll take at least two expensive midranges (and the crossover is a lot more complex...reallly complicated :)

• Members
Hmmm.... Oh well you won't know how you like the LDS until it shows up at your door, right? Not too many 610's out there.. How's the Ampeg?

mostly, i know i'll like the LDS because of reputation of the designer, and the ability to have my own input on the design. the berg is an absolutely stellar example of what it's designed to be. i just dont happen to like what its designed to be :)

Archived