Pitch accuracy

Kentrel

• Members

I haven't been able to find much information on how to improve my pitch accuracy. None of the programs I have teach it specifically though it seems like they're teaching it by default using scales.

I'm one of those ultra beginners who still has a lot of trouble keeping pitch. I can keep decent pitch if I play the chords of the song, but its not great and I fail completely when the melody doesn't rigidly follow the notes in the chords. I have nothing to "match".

An exercise I do now instead is to pick out the melody instead with my guitar. I even play note bends and try to imitate those with my voice. I can easily match pitch when I do that. I do a phrase at a time, and repeat the phrase over and over again before moving onto the next section. Its very slow, but I sound pretty damn good when I do that!

However when I go back to just playing the chords I have trouble again, and sound even worse when I sing without guitar. Are there any specific techniques for improving pitch accuracy or am I already using them and just need more practise?

• Members

I think you're doing what needs to be done. Scales (especially arpeggiated scales or scales that use intervals) are good for developing pitch accuracy, but you should also train by singing specific songs. I think many people look at songs as the fruit of practice rather than as practice itself. Take a few songs you really like and spend some quality time working on the melody--try it using a guide melody on the guitar; then try it a capella; then try it with guitar chords. Rinse and repeat.

Bear in mind that many melodies have to be learned and practiced before they feel natural. Just because one has heard Macca crooning "Yesterday" for decades doesn't mean that that melody has been internalized. You need to take ownership of every melody, and that often involves a lot of practice.

My instructor used to emphasize working on songs over scales. Out of each hour we'd spend about 15-20 minutes on scales and exercises, the rest on working through songs.

The good news is that you simply need to learn your instrument--it's really just like playing the guitar. :thu:

Archived