What sound card are you using?

chubrocker

• Members

Wanting to get a new sound card. Look at E-Mu 0404, but not sure. The Audiophile 2496 looks OK as well. I probably should spend more $$ on a sound card. What are you using and are you happy with it? I use Reaper and sometimes Audacity. I have a Yamaha MX10 usb mixer that I have been using, but feel I should get a real sound card and play into it for zero latency. Suggestions?

• Members

I'm running Audacity and with an .iso ripper/burner there is nothing I can't really do if I feel like it.

Audacity runs on both NT and Linux platform, and I have it on both. I like PCLOS w/Audacity the best as it has a very small overhead.

Audacity is free too. That's a big diff.

Oh, yeah - be sure to get LAME (also free) first and put it somewhere you can find it first and then Audacity will be able to find it when you want to burn to MP3 format.

• Members

zero latency can be done with direct monitoring , which many interfaces offer, but I prefer to monitor the output so you can hear what's going to "tape" with any added VST . Also latency is affected by buffer size , sample rates etc etc . You can go to a higher buffer and latency when mixing for smoother clitch free audio as you are not tracking and latency is not a factor . But with a super computer and nice sound card you may never need to . I do simple home studio recordings and don't need anymore then 2 inputs but I use a higher end LynxL22 , IME the better converters make a difference , to me anyway ;)

Archived