Political: Somebody Help America With The Math

Thunderbroom

• Members

[YOUTUBE]lUd-slJc-GY[/YOUTUBE]

At around 1:07:

How many people are getting' insurance through their jobs right now? Raise your hands? A'right. Well, a lot of those folks, your employer, it's estimated, would see premiums fall by as much as 3,000%, which means they could give you a raise!

If I'm paying $100 for something and the cost is lowered 3,000%, how much am I now paying?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At around 1:07:

How many people are getting' insurance through their jobs right now? Raise your hands? A'right. Well, a lot of those folks, your employer, it's estimated, would see premiums fall by as much as 3,000%, which means they could give you a raise!

If I'm paying $100 for something and the cost is lowered 3,000%, how much am I now paying?

.00003 cents?? I don't know. But if you are paying 3,000 it'll be lowered to $100.

Employers, on the other hand, pay a lot more than $100 for health insurance.

• Members

.00003 cents?? I don't know. But if you are paying 3,000 it'll be lowered to $100.

Employers, on the other hand, pay a lot more than $100 for health insurance.

If it lowers 100% then 100% of 100 dollars is 100 dollars, a total of 0 dollars getting paid. If it lowers 50% then he's paying 50 dollars. If it lowers 3000% then he would be getting paid 2900* dollars.

*100 - 3000 = -2900 hurp

• Members

If it lowers 100% then 100% of 100 dollars is 100 dollars, a total of 0 dollars getting paid. If it lowers 50% then he's paying 50 dollars. If it lowers 3000% then he would be getting paid 3000 dollars.

Am I dumb that I'm not catching on?

So it's not possible for it to FALL 3000 percent without someone being paid?

If I'm paying 100 dollars on something, and it says sale! 3,000 percent off! it means they are essentially paying ME to take so item?

But it's possible for something to rise to 3,000 percent but not fall 3,000 percent?

Seriously. Help me out.

• Members

Am I dumb that I'm not catching on?

So it's not possible for it to FALL 3000 percent without someone being paid?

If I'm paying 100 dollars on something, and it says sale! 3,000 percent off! it means they are essentially paying ME to take so item?

But it's possible for something to rise to 3,000 percent but not fall 3,000 percent?

Seriously. Help me out.

The way I view it yeah. I could be wrong. If something is 60% off then the price afterwards is X -.60*X = Y.

If something is 3000% off then it would be X - 30*X = Y. If it lowers though I think it would be X-P*X=Y too. I could be wrong though, I was never good at extracting math from word problems.

It the price rises it would be X + P*X = Y I think. Because if the prise rises 100% then it should be double, I think.

I'm not a business major or anything so I'm not too sure but to me the math sounds right.

• Members

The way I view it yeah. I could be wrong. If something is 60% off then the price afterwards is X -.60*X = Y.

If something is 3000% off then it would be X - 30*X = Y. If it lowers though I think it would be X-P*X=Y too. I could be wrong though, I was never good at extracting math from word problems.

It the price rises it would be X + P*X = Y I think. Because if the prise rises 100% then it should be double, I think.

I'm not a business major or anything so I'm not too sure but to me the math sounds right.

See, I'm looking at it the easy way. I know prices, profits, etc, can go up 3,000 percent. So why can't they fall 3,000%?

I probably sounds like a dumb ass right now, someone who never went to college and failed algebra, but I'm just trying to think of it as something simple.

• Members

See, I'm looking at it the easy way. I know prices, profits, etc, can go up 3,000 percent. So why can't they fall 3,000%?

I probably sounds like a dumb ass right now, someone who never went to college and failed algebra, but I'm just trying to think of it as something simple.

100% is the whole amount. 100% of 15 is 15, correct? And 100% of 3 million is 3 million, right? So if something's value falls 100%, it is totally devalued. It's worth 0 - agreed?

Therefore, how can something's value fall 3000% or 30 times it's full value?

Edit: I forgot the other side of the scenario, but Kindness did that for me.

• Moderators

I'm just trying to think of it as something simple.

Here's simple:

100% of something is all of it. If you lose more than 100%, you lose more than all of it.

Going the other way, if you made $100 last week, it is possible you could make $3,000 this week, which would be an increase of 3,000%.

• Members

First they raise the cost up by 5,000% then tell us that they can lower it 3,000%, we're all like "Aw yeah, I just saved 3,000%!" when infact we are getting hosed by 2,000%.

It was the same when they jacked gas from $2/gal to $5/gal, then lowered it to $3/gal, which we were happy to pay.

Simple.

:freak:

• Moderators

First they raise the cost up by 5,000% then tell us that they can lower it 3,000%, we're all like "Aw yeah, I just saved 3,000%!" when infact we are getting hosed by 2,000%.

It was the same when they jacked gas from $2/gal to $5/gal, then lowered it to $3/gal, which we were
happy
to pay.

Simple.

:freak:

I was going to provide a more complicated answer that would have included something like this, but I wanted to stay simple. Thanks for {censored}ing that up! :D

• Members

Here's simple:

100% of something is all of it. If you lose more than 100%, you lose more than all of it.

Going the other way, if you made $100 last week, it is possible you could make $3,000 this week, which would be an increase of 3,000%.

So even though you made 3,000 this week, and an increase of 3,000 %, you can't lose the 3,000 percent to be back at zero? Or are you just losing 100% of the 3,000 to leave you at zero. My brain hurts, and i'm going to stop now.

• Members

No sense in trying to do any math. Even Dick Durbin basically called Obama's math bull{censored}. He didn't call him a liar, but either did that other guy who said "you lie". Obama's media portrayed it like the guy said "you're a liar" but they have nothing to say about what Durbin said.

• Members

No sense in trying to do any math. Even Dick Durbin basically called Obama's math bull{censored}. He didn't call him a liar, but either did that other guy who said "you lie". Obama's media portrayed it like the guy said "you're a liar" but they have nothing to say about what Durbin said.

Do you even read what you type? What does this have to do with the price of eggs?

• Members

Do you even read what you type? What does this have to do with the price of eggs?

Try to follow. The sounds clips of what Durbin said about Obama's health care math were played on WLS am radio in Chicago this morning. Leave eggs out of it. :p

• Moderators

So even though you made 3,000 this week, and an increase of 3,000 %, you can't lose the 3,000 percent to be back at zero? Or are you just losing 100% of the 3,000 to leave you at zero. My brain hurts, and i'm going to stop now.

Now you want complicated. :lol:

Yes, of course you can. 100% and 3,00% are meaningless without defined context. If you define 100% of a weekly earning as $100 and you make $2,500 the week after you made $3,000, you could call that a loss of 500% of a weekly earning. But let's not get complicated and nuanced because then we're just going to get silly! :lol:

Archived