Political: Somebody Help America With The Math

Thunderbroom

• Members
The smartest President in our history.

Is it his fault that you guys are too dumb to understand him?

I guess I have to spell it out for you.
:facepalm:

If you take 100, and reduce by 1%, you get 99. If you take that, and reduce it by 1%, you get 98.01. If you take that, and reduce it by 1%, you get 97.03. Repeat 2997 times.

:idea:

nice avatar. :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The smartest President in our history.

Is it his fault that you guys are too dumb to understand him?

I guess I have to spell it out for you.
:facepalm:

If you take 100, and reduce by 1%, you get 99. If you take that, and reduce it by 1%, you get 98.01. If you take that, and reduce it by 1%, you get 97.03. Repeat 2997 times.

:idea:

Now I get it!! :idea:

• Members

Well, this is my perspective on all of this and I agree with Pika, based on what I'm seeing in my little corner of the country:

1. Being in Madison, WI we have our fair share of liberals around here.
2. We have a few liberals working at our small business (around 40 employees).
3. Our business provides all employees with "free" health care and dental.
4. Once this passes I understand that not only will the business owner get taxed more for providing that "free" health care to all of his employees, but his health insurance premiums will increase, AND all of those employees are going to get taxed more for getting "free" health care.

If I have all that correct this is how I see it playing out. The employer can no longer afford to give his employees "free" health care. So, he drops it. The employees are still taking home less money due to increased taxes, PLUS now they have NO HEALTH CARE AT ALL, until at least 2012 when the supposed government benefits start. So, now those employees have to go out and find their own health care, which is going to be even more expensive, due to increased premiums, or just hope they don't get sick for 2-3 years.

Now, they have EVEN LESS take home pay because they are getting taxed more AND they have to pay for their own health insurance until those supposed government benefits start. How long is it going to take before those liberal employees realize that this is a 100% complete total f***ing disaster when that reduced paycheck is smacking them square in the face and they can't pay the bills anymore? My bet is not long...

http://tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=132008&page=4

• Members

Well, this is my perspective on all of this and I agree with Pika, based on what I'm seeing in my little corner of the country:

1. Being in Madison, WI we have our fair share of liberals around here.

2. We have a few liberals working at our small business (around 40 employees).

3. Our business provides all employees with "free" health care and dental.

4. Once this passes I understand that not only will the business owner get taxed more for providing that "free" health care to all of his employees, but his health insurance premiums will increase, AND all of those employees are going to get taxed more for getting "free" health care.

If I have all that correct this is how I see it playing out. The employer can no longer afford to give his employees "free" health care. So, he drops it. The employees are still taking home less money due to increased taxes, PLUS now they have NO HEALTH CARE AT ALL, until at least 2012 when the supposed government benefits start. So, now those employees have to go out and find their own health care, which is going to be even more expensive, due to increased premiums, or just hope they don't get sick for 2-3 years.

Now, they have EVEN LESS take home pay because they are getting taxed more AND they have to pay for their own health insurance until those supposed government benefits start. How long is it going to take before those liberal employees realize that this is a 100% complete total f***ing disaster when that reduced paycheck is smacking them square in the face and they can't pay the bills anymore? My bet is not long...

Seems like the stated goal's don't really line up with what they are actually doing, doesn't it. The idea of a "cadillac plan" that evil rich people get that needs to be taxed is so disingenuous. What on earth could be the goal of taxing insurance providers more for providing for their employees? Why does the media go along with this unquestioningly?

• Members

I hate math. I'm not a fan of Obama.

hate math + dislike Obama = I could tell this plan was jacked the second he tried to sell it to us. He kicked the tires one too many times. If I had the chance, I'd leave the dealership, but his smooth talking makes this lemon sound just fine....

I just like knowing that in a few years (heck, now) I can look at my liberal friends and say 'told you so'... Not that the other option seemed much better, but it seemed like it wouldn't have been such a clusterf$%k.

• Members

My take is that most of the people I know support this plan because it came from their "team". They explain to me that well, something has to be done but faced with the method of financing this,regardless f the right and wrong of it, they can't even support it theoretically with any sort of confidience. Hence, the rush to pass it so it's not looked at too closely.

• Members
Then maybe you'd care to name a few??? - if there's "plenty", it shouldn't be a problem...

- georgestrings

Hello! He gave that guy a case of beer like he said he would! :rolleyes:
Pay attention man...

In all seriousness though, I don't know why everyone is getting so hung up on the math that they lose sight of the bigger picture. Bottom line seems to be that whether he said healthcare costs would drop by 3000%, Eleventy Billion %, or something that actually made sense, like 10% or 20% (or really any small number under 100% for that matter), he's still full of as much BS as before he got elected (or arguably MORE now), and still doesn't seem to know his @$$ from a hole in the ground.

Just my take on things, and I'm far from politically savvy, but I think Obama would be a little farther ahead of the curve if he spent as much time and thought on political issues and common sense as he seems to spend on hockey bets, beer, and celebrity television appearances.

Maybe I'm wrong. :facepalm:

• Members

Well it passed. I don't know how premiums are going to go down at all with guaranteed issue and community rating. That will only drive up costs, and how. I suppose the gov't could exercise it's roundabout price controls in the bill, but that would put insurance companies out of business.

We need to start working on repealing this legislation... although such a thing is far easier said than done.

• Members

I think you're wrong, but only because I think barack obama knows exactly what he's doing, and doesn't give a hot {censored} that Americans don't like it and think he's a liar.

C7

Didn't they elect him based on promises to do what he's doing now?

• Members
no, not really.

Right, but how about an answer from someone who did vote for him? ;) You weren't going to in any case and so would disagree with whatever he'd push for.

So? People who did vote for him, how does this match your expectations?

• Members
Right, but how about an answer from someone who did vote for him?
;)
You weren't going to in any case and so would disagree with whatever he'd push for.

So? People who did vote for him, how does this match your expectations?

You are incorrect. I agree with him on several issues and support him whenever my concience allows me to. You are making assumptions.

• Members

Lets look at a few other math facts.

50% of the taxpayers now pay a total of less than 3% of all Federal taxes. In fact, they even get REFUNDS often worth more than they paid in. Now they will be forced to purchase health care (remember, the Dems wouldn't lie to us the way the Reps did). Will the gov't hold their tax refunds to pay for their healthcare?

Interesting to note Pelosi praising Ted Kennedy for national health care. Would MJKopechne still be alive if Ted had offered her health care?

The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that middle income taxpayers might face as much as $4000 per year IN NEW TAXES to pay for health care. :facepalm: Maybe they will lower it to only $2000 per year in NEW TAXES, saving us forty-leven percent. :thu:

• Members
I see, I just always thought you voting for a Democrat would be like the sun rising in the west, or a lug mp3 that didn't double as an effective insecticide... so it was a pretty fair assumption to make.

My sister voted for him because she liked the idea of who he was, not the things that he actually said. She still feels that he's the best thing to happen to the country in a long, long time. Then again, she doesn't keep up with the news in any way, seriously. I think that she's the kind of voter who both of the parties love, the kind who don't bother to educate themselves and who will blindly support their candidate.

• Members

I see, I just always thought you voting for a Democrat would be like the sun rising in the west, or a lug mp3 that didn't double as an effective insecticide... so it was a pretty fair assumption to make.

I've voted for several democrats in my life and even worked on a campaign for one. Where I live, being democrat or republican is far less imortant than on the national level. It's far more about the person.

• Members

Lets look at a few other math facts.

50% of the taxpayers now pay a total of less than 3% of all Federal taxes. In fact, they even get REFUNDS often worth more than they paid in. Now they will be forced to purchase health care (remember, the Dems wouldn't lie to us the way the Reps did). Will the gov't hold their tax refunds to pay for their healthcare?

MY brother hasn't paid federal income taxes in years. This last year, he got $4,100 from Uncle Sam, he won't have to purchase a darned thing. IIRC, you'll only have to purchase insurance if you're a family making more than $80k. I forget what the individual income requirement is.

Archived