so can you describe when certain things/techniques 'clicked' vocally?

cavemanic

• Members

like adding rasp/extreme vocals finding new range etc?

I had some lessons years ago and when going up the scales could feel the change into head voice where previously I would belt and was blown away!

the teacher was like 'yep going into your head voice there'

the thing is I can't do the rasp that so many rock guys do...I can 'feel' I can do it but I don't know how

it kind of reminds me learning how to do an ollie on a skateboard....trying trying and then finally getting it and its a breakthrough

just wondering when you discovered new parts of your voice how it felt and was it by accident etc

• Members

Buy Melissa Cross's DVD's.

That way you can learn the technique in a manner that will keep you from killing your vocal chords, because you can definitely permanenetly injure yourself trying to do it on your own.

Can you do a vocal fry? (sounds like Barney Greenway from Napalm Death)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Buy Melissa Cross's DVD's.

That way you can learn the technique in a manner that will keep you from killing your vocal chords, because you can definitely permanenetly injure yourself trying to do it on your own.

Can you do a vocal fry? (sounds like Barney Greenway from Napalm Death)

cant do ...will check out and a bump

• Members

For me, rasp came over a great deal of time, through a lot of experimentation.

My earlier recordings from the late '80s and early '90s, you won't hear any rasp at all. That's because I couldn't really do it. :lol:

Then I started really listening to (and absorbing technique from) guys like the late Carl Albert from Vicious Rumors, and more recently over the past few years, Russell Allen and Jorn Lande.

All three of these guys are "melodic" singers, but they can put some "stank" on their vocals at-will, which is what I wanted to do. I experimented a LOT over the years to find my own healthy, sustainable rasp, but I would recommend that you find a voice teacher who can show you how to get to that space more quickly than my years of trial and error.

I do have a couple of videos about the subject, but I'm not a voice teacher, so please take anything I say with a grain of salt, and be careful to NOT hurt your voice when you're working on this. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong and you should stop and do something different.

PT. 1

bP2KULI3gIQ

PT. 2

tIwsi9iMip0

• Members

I remember when I finally learned how to sing high. I always wanted to know how singers like Stevie Wonder could just hit those notes so effortlessly. I was able to expand my range, partly from vocal lessons, which I took briefly, but also through trial and error. I was thrilled when it suddenly just clicked. I can go up to a high C pretty easily now.

Although, now that I know how, I've sorta lost some fascination with it. It comes in handy sometimes when doing harmonies and things like that, or for certain songs that require it, but I find I'm much more comfortable sticking with my midrange. Plus I know, as I get older, the day will come when I'll probably lose my upper range, so it's best not to have to rely on it too much.

One positive side effect of it is that I've become a better singer overall. Prior to that, I would tighten up my throat, which is absolutely the wrong way to do it. My throat muscles would actually hurt sometimes.

The only thing I haven't gotten a grasp on yet is the rasp. (Haven't grasped the rasp yet.) I've got a super clean voice, which isn't an issue most of the time, but I don't have much of a rock voice. I can sometimes approximate rasp by doing the Louis Armstrong back-of-the-throat singing, but it doesn't quite sound the same. Maybe one day I'll figure it out.

Archived