T.V. shows. I just don't get the appeal

vanlatte

• Members

I keep trying to watch all these "great" shows people are always raving about. Every time I try they come off as formulaic, predictable and in most cases just vapid rubbish. Mostly I am talking about the series that are on the cable channels (not broadcast t.v., so I am not even talking about reality shows)

Guess I am just a snob when it comes to entertainment? :confused: Well, not really, I mean I enjoy some pretty stupid movies. But none of these series that are always the topic of discussion ever does a thing for me.

Why do I keep trying?

Meh.

• Members
Name some of the "right" ones.

:confused:

You don't actually read my threads, do you? :poke:CapricaHeroes (Although it is beginning to jump the shark.....just watch the first season and quit)White CollarBurn NoticeIn Plain sightLeverageParenthoodModern FamilyCougar TownYo Gabba Gabba (Just kidding! Wanted to see if you were paying attention!)

• Members

Heroes (
Although it is beginning to jump the shark
.....just watch the first season and quit)

No offense Funkster, but :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Heroes jumped the shark via rocketsled and achieved escape velocity during Season 2.

• Members

Welp, guess that confirms it.

Most of the shows you guys mention are the very ones that make me want to stab ice picks in my eyes.

Arrested Development and Dead like Me are really the only series I can think of that I could stand for more than a few episodes.

Guess I am just missing some gene or chromosome or something. :p

• Members

We had HBO for the Soprano's, but then got hooked on Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Big Love and True Blood.

During this time a friend let us borrow season 1 of Dexter and we liked that a lot.

Well, the Sopranos are long gone and the others have, well, we've lost interest in and just yesterday I switched over to Showtime.

• Members

Nothing much "formulaic" about Big Love or Hung (although I haven't really made up my mind about that one yet).

The Wire was great but long gone.

"Sons of Anarchy" is one of my favorites.

I came belatedly to start watching " Breaking Bad" but like it to the point where I want to get the DVD's of the first couple of seasons so I can get caught up.

There's something oddly compelling (to me anyway) about "Mad Men" too.

I'm down with "Burn Notice" and "Leverage" too mostly because the

characters Fiona (Gabriel Anwar) and Parker ("Twenty pounds of crazy in a five pound bag" played by Beth Riesgraf) are such bad-ass b****es. Women that like to blow stuff up and can kick the ass of most guys are Hot Stuff!! (Don't know why, guess I should see a shrink about that, :lol:)

• Members

I've started watching "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" and really like it. It's cheesy, but it has blood and tits galore. You even get to see bush sometimes. Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) even shows the goods in the show. She's got some nice big areolas. :D

Hot chicks getting naked and lots of bloody gladiatorial violence. What's not to like? I guess the story isn't that bad either.

• Members

You people really watch all those shows? I haven't even heard of most of them.

Van, have a few kids. Then, all you'll know is:

Phineas and Ferb

Fairly Odd Parents

Sponge Bob Squarepants

and whatever comes on after you put them to bed (Adult Swim)

• Members

I've started watching "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" and really like it. It's cheesy, but it has blood and tits galore. You even get to see bush sometimes. Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) even shows the goods in the show. She's got some nice big areolas.
:D

Hot chicks getting naked and lots of bloody gladiatorial violence. What's not to like? I guess the story isn't that bad either.

Yeah, I'm 50/50 on this one.

The first few epi's were like if Thrustin got ahold of the original screenplays for 300, Gladiator and a late 90's prono, and went to town. :lol:

It's gotten better though. John Hannah is pretty damn good. The Crixus character is my fave. I hope he puts some ass whoopin' on Sparticus sooner than later. :thu:

And lol, yeah, the nudity and "choice" words used as profanity kind gives me the lulz. You can only hear "By Jupiter's cock!" so many times... :facepalm::lol:

• Members

Breaking Bad, The Ultimate Fighter, House, and....god help me, Ugly Betty (aka quality time with girlfriend) are the only ones I really keep up with these days. Pretty much everything else I watch is re-runs: Star Trek TNG, The Sopranos, Law and Order & SVU (don't like new episodes from either series), Family Guy, The Simpsons...

I hate, and I mean hate, pretty much all TNT original series. The Closer has got to be the most insanely annoying show I've ever seen on television. Dear god that friggin' accent....have mercy on humanity and bury it with a shovel - then bury Sedgewick just to be safe. Saving Grace is remarkably irritating. Leverage? Was this a show left over from USA network's late 80's straight to Saturday night line-up? I would rather be tea-bagged by a Piranha than forced to watch Leverage again. Hawthorne - "I'm a nurse I'm a nurse!!!!" mmmhmmm - version 459,395 with service pack infinity. Certainly not knocking anyone here who may enjoy these - I watch Ugly Betty for {censored} sake - something about all of these, and the constant TNT previews, just make me want to die and I have no choice but to inform you of this. I would ban TNT from my channels if not for its re-runs and past glory of unliminted Chuck Norris hilarity.

Archived