Pulled Pork recipes....

BottomHeavyKate

• Members

I'm making pulled pork for the b/f and his father tomorrow. My standby recipe is just to throw a roast in my crock pot - set it on low and cook it for 12 hours.

Does anyone have any good slow cooker pulled pork recipes? I'd like it to have some crust on the outside and be a little less mushy at the end....

• Members

Start with a dry rub.

2 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup kosher salt

2 tablespoons each of black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika

1 tablespoon each of cayenne and cumin.

Combine ingredients and mix well. Coat the meat in the dry rub, and let marinate over night. Slow-cook on medium heat for 8-12 hours in crock pot, until it shreds easily with a fork.

Shred it, sauce it, eat it.

• Members

Start with a dry rub.

2 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup kosher salt

Combine ingredients and mix well. Coat the meat in the dry rub, and let marinate over night. Slow-cook on medium heat for 8-12 hours in crock pot, until it shreds easily with a fork.

{censored}in Thump delivers again...:facepalm:

Can I move in??

• Members

Pulled pork generally means real BBQ here.

I do mine in my smoker over mesquite charcoal when the weather is decent. It doesn't get too cold in PDX, but the continual winter drizzle keeps the exterior of the smoker damp and hinders a decent smoke.

I'm probably going to do my ribs on the smoker for the HCBF meet.

Oldy, do you use a sweet sauce or vinegar-based? I had some slow-smoked lamb with a vinegar/apple sauce that was :love:

• Members

Start with a dry rub.

2 cups brown sugar

1/2 cup kosher salt

Edit: you could slow cook a rock in a crock pot without going wrong. Especially after B-B-q saucing it. If you're in a pinch, I recommend Chicago's own Sweet Baby Ray's sauce.

• Members

You don't cook BBQ is a crock pot IMO. People roast them here at least.

You are so helpful..... :facepalm:

Right now, my only option is a slow cooker. I don't have a smoker and I won't be able to roast it - which is why I'm looking for suggestions for slow cooker pulled pork.

• Members

Oldy, do you use a sweet sauce or vinegar-based? I had some slow-smoked lamb with a vinegar/apple sauce that was
:love:

We have tomato based BBQ sauces where I grew up(southern South Carolina). They use vinegar based sauces here(central North Carolina) and personally I can't stand them.

• Members

Grill = high heat, short cooking time, thin cuts of meat (steak, chops or fish, chicken if you're careful not to burn it).

BBQ = big hunks of meat over low heat, usually in a covered cooker, often smoked in the process).

Slow cooker = what most of us cold/wet weather folks resort to in winter and early spring.

'Barbecue' comes from barbacoa, a Carib Indian word for a grate of woven wood slats suspended over a fire. Or so I've been told.

Any way, it's all good. :love:

• Members

You are so helpful.....
:facepalm:

Right now, my only option is a slow cooker. I don't have a smoker and I won't be able to roast it - which is why I'm looking for suggestions for slow cooker pulled pork.

Don't know any for crock pots. Now if you have some cinder blocks and a couple of grates...

• Members

You need to grab a pork shoulder or "butt" for this. The dry rub is a great idea. If you want simple though, just grab a BBQ sauce that you like , throw in the roast and let it sit for 12+ hours on the lowest setting possible. I don't use a slow cooker. I use my cast iron roasting pan and put it in the oven on 200 degrees early in the morning and it's done when I'm hungry for dinner:D.

Also you can't forget some cole slaw to throw on the pulled pork sandwich.

• Members

cuban pork: pretty simple, but very tasty.

Probably closed to what you are used too. Drop pork shoulder/butt in croc pot and pour in an adequate amount of "mojo" sauce. Probably to fill half to 3/4 of the croc or so. Goya is a good brand, though we've found others around our town that we good as well. Goya seems to give it the most authentic taste however.

Maybe add a couple TBS of minced garlic to taste.

Let it cook for about 8 hours or so, and it should pull right apart.

If you can find it around you, adding a little sour orange juice really gives it a nice zing. Tastes phenomenal.

The sour (aka bitter) orange juice is more commonly found in places like florida, or where the oranges are actually grown. That's where we got ours. (Badia is the brand we use) You MIGHT find it in a hispanic foods store, but I've yet to see it anywhere in NW Indiana. Chicago might be different. I've heard of people just mixing regular orange juice with lime juice (50/50) as a substitute, but I don't know how well that really works. Make sure you use real lime juice if you do go that route.

41HQ9XB21QL._SL500_AA300_PIbundle-2,TopR

• Members

I found a nice pulled pork taco recipe on foodnetwork.com a few months back that also had an amazing avocado puree. After I grew tired of the tacos, I sauced it up with some BBQ sauce and had a couple days of pulled pork sammies...yum.

Archived