Stingray Classic 5

dedpool1052

• Members

played one of these the other day at GC. they sound, look and feel really good and have a totally different vibe from the regular SR5. the question i have, for anyone else who has played one, does the B-string have better clarity/definition than the regular SR5 because of the string-trhu bridge, or is it all in my head?

• Members

played one of these the other day at GC. they sound, look and feel really good and have a totally different vibe from the regular SR5. the question i have, for anyone else who has played one, does the B-string have better clarity/definition than the regular SR5 because of the string-trhu bridge, or is it all in my head?

it may be but tension is tension and the SR5 standard bridge is well anchored into the body..

through stringing is a difficult thing to differentiate from hi mass bridge or securely bolted bridge design

$$ rules

• Members

It really could just be be in your head!

Various tests etc have been carried out on this subject & no real difference in tonality has ever been proved. Increased tension, yes - but not improved sound/sustain. Real authorities on the bass like Roger Sadowsky & Ken Smith have poured scorn on the theory that thru-body stringing adds anything at all to a bass....I agree with them.

You are so right though, those old Ray 5er's are brilliant.

Archived