L-2000 vs Stingray 4HH

dedpool1052

• Members

trying to decide on my next bass and these are two that i'm considering. i've played both and know what to expect as far as playability, feel and tone. i just want to hear some feedback from some other members as to which one they feel is a better bass pverall for the money.

• Members

I'm going to call this one a tie, as far as construction and usable tones goes.

I have had both--the L-2000 will give you very good P and J sounds, the HH Stingray will give you good P and J sounds, but always keeps that characteristic EBMM sound. If you dig the EBMM sound, it's a no-brainer. If not, then it's a tie. :)

• Members

well, it's been a while since i've played an L-2000, but i remember it being pretty damn good, and punchy. the main thing is the necks. the L-2000 has a nice chunky p-bass neck which i love, but the stingray has an oiled neck thats so easy to play on.

• Members

well, it's been a while since i've played an L-2000, but i remember it being pretty damn good, and punchy. the main thing is the necks. the L-2000 has a nice chunky p-bass neck which i love, but the stingray has an oiled neck thats so easy to play on.

If you are ordering new, the L2000 has 4 different sized necks to choose from.

• Members

i will be ordering new. if i decide on the g&l i'd get the #7 neck (1 3/4" nut, 12" radius)

I went with the #8, same as what comes standard on the ASAT. Love this neck. It's a bit thicker than a standard jazz so I get no hand fatigue yet it's still small enough for my short stubbies. :D

• Members

How does the #8 compare to, say, the asymmetrical neck on your BB75?

Like comparing apples to a rocket launch facility. The BB75 is the perfect 5 string neck for me. Wide and very flat with an asymetrical cut for relief. If you want to keep 19mm spacing, this is the way to do it. To translate that to a 4 string, you'd have to go with something like a flattened P bass neck. The joy of the G&L Jazz neck is that it fills the palm a bit better than Fender's jazz. For me, this leads to far less hand fatigue during long playing sessions. Don't have that problem with a 5'ver since the plam is less curled when playing.

• Members

Like comparing apples to a rocket launch facility. The BB75 is the perfect 5 string neck for me. Wide and very flat with an asymetrical cut for relief. If you want to keep 19mm spacing, this is the way to do it. To translate that to a 4 string, you'd have to go with something like a flattened P bass neck. The joy of the G&L Jazz neck is that it fills the palm a bit better than Fender's jazz. For me, this leads to far less hand fatigue during long playing sessions. Don't have that problem with a 5'ver since the plam is less curled when playing.

Thanks. Am I to assume your ASAT isn't a 5-string? :D I was looking at a 5-string to 5-string comparison.

• Members

Thanks. Am I to assume your ASAT isn't a 5-string?
:D
I was looking at a 5-string to 5-string comparison.

No, there have only been a very few custom made 5 string ASAT's. Lot's of people want one but I'm sure the neck dive would be atrocious!

• Members

Frankly, I have been less than impressed with the HH Ernie Ball offerings. If you want a dual humbucker fender-style rock bass, the L-2000 is the only choice.

yeah, i've read some pretty mixed reviews of the HH stingrays/sterlings and wanted to get some other opinions from you guys. based on the amount of positive reviews and how so many around here think so highly of'em, i think it's a much better choice. the only real concern i had was the negative reviews of people talking about neck warpage, but i think most of those were older models.

• Members

"...much better choice." No. Maybe a better choice for you, but certainly not "much better." None of the feedback here supports that decision.

after re-reading what i wrote, i realized i didnt specify. i meant to say that the postitive reviews and being a much better choice were about the g&l, not the musicman. and the concerns of warpage were directed towards the g&ls.

• Members

after re-reading what i wrote, i realized i didnt specify. i meant to say that the postitive reviews and being a much better choice were about the g&l, not the musicman. and the concerns of warpage were directed towards the g&ls.

I've had mine since 2002, and I've never had a problem with the neck. :thu:

Archived