how good do I need to be to joina band?

AlexMC

• Members

So I picked up the bass almost a year ago; I took a handful of lessons earlier this year to pick up the correct technique, and I've learned about 15 songs since then from Sweet Child of Mine to Sunshine of My Love via Back in Black and Sultans of Swing.

Am I ready to look for other people to play with, given my limited repertoire? I don't really have any improvisational skills (I know chords and scales but don't feel comfortable applying them in songs)...

If your local covers band were looking for a bassist, how much experience and repertoire would you expect them to have?

• Members

I recommend playing with people(a band or whatnot) as soon as possible. It will kick you in the behind like nothing else. It's the very best education for a player. Just be sure your not totally lost and can reasonably* keep up with the other players.

*meaning, not distracting them if/when your off

• Members

Well, I started playing in a band consisting of players miles above my skill level about seven months ago. I had played for about a year and a half myself, only, I didn't take any lessons, and didn't know any theory (except for basic scales). I replied to a "bassist wanted" ad, they had me in for an audition, and even though I screwed it up, they wanted me along. They were aiming for something down the road, and liked me as a person, and they thought the personal fit was more important. You'd be surprised as to how many share that sentiment.

As others here say, there's nothing like it in terms of learning. I've actually become a mediocre player now, instead of an outright {censored}ty one. You learn to improvise quickly (knowing theory helps a lot here), and you learn to "just keep up". It doesn't really matter if you play a wrong note every once in a while, as long as you keep going (and you WILL {censored} up now and then, but it's all a part of the learning curve). It only took about two-three rehearsals before I started to keep up, and going out on my own.

I've improved my stamina, skill, speed and ear tenfold during the past seven months or so, and now I can even jam and improvise. I'd never thought that it'd go so fast once I started out.

Do it. Be confident, and be honest about your skill level, but also be sure to tell them that you're dedicated and that you WANT TO LEARN (if that's the case, that is).

• Members

Well, I started playing in a band consisting of players miles above my skill level about seven months ago. I had played for about a year and a half myself, only, I didn't take any lessons, and didn't know any theory (except for basic scales). I replied to a "bassist wanted" ad, they had me in for an audition, and even though I screwed it up, they wanted me along. They were aiming for something down the road, and liked me as a person, and they thought the personal fit was more important. You'd be surprised as to how many share that sentiment.

As others here say, there's nothing like it in terms of learning. I've actually become a mediocre player now, instead of an outright {censored}ty one. You learn to improvise quickly (knowing theory helps a lot here), and you learn to "just keep up". It doesn't really matter if you play a wrong note every once in a while, as long as you keep going (and you WILL {censored} up now and then, but it's all a part of the learning curve). It only took about two-three rehearsals before I started to keep up, and going out on my own.

I've improved my stamina, skill, speed and ear tenfold during the past seven months or so, and now I can even jam and improvise. I'd never thought that it'd go so fast once I started out.

Do it. Be confident, and be honest about your skill level, but also be sure to tell them that you're dedicated and that you WANT TO LEARN (if that's the case, that is).

Thanks, that's a very helpful response! I could do with just jamming with a casual music group, but wouldn't know where to find such a thing.

• Members

You only have to be good enough that they let you play with them.

Seriously, that's the only thing going on.

Also, as many have already said, nothing will improve your abilities more quickly than playing with other people.

good luck, and get out there and play!;)

cheers

C>

• Members

pretty much dead on for the first band i played bass in. go out and play, you'll get better!

• Members

you are not good enough.

:D

Plain and simple, if you second guess yourself, you are going to spend more time worried about whether or not you "suck" and not enough time on the music. I agree you should find some guys to jam with. Get more comfortable. When you feel comfortable, then go from there.

• Members

I couldn't disagree more. I'm a firm believer in trial by fire - no better way to lose your self-consciousness than through getting out there and playing with other people.

I agree whole-heartedly. I knew I wasn't good enough when I auditioned, but I knew I would be down the road. I just learned the songs as best as I could (which was tough, as there weren't any tabs for any of them, and I had to do them all by ear, which was an exercise in itself), and did as good as I was able to, and as I said, it turned out good.

• Members

So, a 12-year old kid begs and begs and begs his father for a bass and bass lessons. Finally, the father agreed if-and-only-if the son will report to him after every lesson and show him what he has learned.

After the first lesson, the boy rushes home and proudly shows his father that if he plucks the biggest, top string, that is an open "E" note.

After the second lesson, the boy rushes home and proudly announces that if he plucks the second biggest string, that is an open "A" note.

The next week, the boy get ready to leave the house carrying his bass. The father asks, "You have another lesson?" The boy replies, "Lesson? Nope! I have a gig."

I disagree with a few of you. Getting thoroughly embarrassed onstage is a GREAT motivator to improve and return to the same stage. It's called paying your dues. And I have been there a few times.

• Members

I disagree with a few of you. Getting thoroughly embarrassed onstage is a GREAT motivator to improve and return to the same stage. It's called paying your dues. And I have been there a few times.

One of the formative experiences of my musical experience was my first gig on electric bass, in which I got completely lost, caused a train wreck, and laughed "oh god I suck" to myself......

....and then realized I was right by the microphone, so everyone else heard it too.

• Members

One of the formative experiences of my musical experience was my first gig on electric bass, in which I got completely lost, caused a train wreck, and laughed "oh god I suck" to myself......

....and then realized I was right by the microphone, so everyone else heard it too.

Ha ha . That is awesome

• Members

I certainly don't feel I'm ready to play a 30-song set in front of a paying crowd... but I need to find other people to play with, if only informally in someone's basement. Everyone has to get their first gig somehow! It's a shame none of my friends play instruments as that would be a preferable early environment.

Archived