Best Bass envelope filter?

AlvarHanso

• Members

I'm trying to find the right envelope filter. I like the EH Enigma QBalls moreso than the QTron, and have even thought about trying to find a vintage Mu-Tron III, but wondered if there was a consensus (or something approaching consensus) over here about which envelope filters have the best sound, which are the easiest to dial in exactly the right sound, and which I should simply ignore the pricetag on and buy. Obviously, if I'm thinking about a Mu-Tron, $350 isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't object to an $80 pedal that gets my sound where I want it.

Also, I've heard very mixed reviews on the updated Mu-Tron from HAZ, don't want to start a heated debate about it, but was curious whether it's anything like the original. Any help is most appreciated!

• Members

If you're looking for a good Mutron III sound, I'd wait a couple of months until Spencer at 3leaf Audio releases the Proton, his take on it. I have a prototype of it, and while my knowledge of the original Mutron sound is over 10 years old (last time I played through one), this one definitely has that thick filter sound with a great quack at the end.

The other one I have on the board is the MXR M-82 Bass Envelope Filter, which I find is good for that more overdriven filter sound. Lots of tonal options in it, depending on where you place the settings (and I've found that the MXR can cop a semi-decent Proton tone). The separate clean and effect volumes I like a lot.

Those are the two I have experience with; there are a lot more out there.

• Members

When I went shopping for something to replace my EHX filters, I specifically stayed away from EHX. After using the Bassballs and Dr. Q, and owning and trying numerous other EHX pedals, I got fed up with being unable to consistently dial in a good sound. When they sound great they rock, but they got on my nerves. I plugged into a Mooger Fooger envelope filter at one point and that is an incredible pedal. In the end, I went with the MXR M-82. It's a lot cheaper, and within ten minutes I had dialed in a setting that sounds the way I want it to sound. I haven't gotten to A/B it with the Mooger, but I'm so happy with it that I don't feel the need to.

• Members

I've been advised on autowahs a few times, only tried one out. It was okay, but still came out kind of tinny. The clip above, however, does not. :) I also saw an ad for Line 6 FM4. The ad claimed that it specifically emulates the sound of the Mu-Tron III, but their website doesn't do that (probably legal reasons), and notice they have Tron Up and Tron Down settings as well as Q Filter (assuming Q Tron). It's $250, about the same as the QBalls, but with bass synths, and other effects, looks like a good deal, if it does what it claims. Though, I'm not crazy about the fact it has Guitar in the name of it.

Looked at some demo videos of the MXR M82, looks pretty sweet!

• Members

I have not liked the QTrons I've played. Don't think it has enough range. I could get a few interesting tones, but never found the sound I wanted. The sound I want is Mike Gordon's envelope filter sounds (I read he uses the Lovetone Meatball, plus a $4000 eq unit to get the sound just perfect). I also really like the sound Keith Moseley from SCI gets on his envelope filter. He dials in a variety of tones that are consistently loud and deep with an insane sweep. Moseley's tone is definitely on the dryer side of Gordon's wet sound, and in my own limited trials, the QTron has been too limited in achieving the sound I'm seeking. I'm encouraged that the QBalls seems to have more range.

• Members

The 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator is the best I've ever tried. It's a 'condensed' permutation of the Meatball circuit, with a few nifty improvements.

The Qtrons are pretty good. The Doctor Q is worthless for bass.

I couldn't recommend the Maxon/Ibanez AF-9-- that thing just didn't like any of the rigs I tried it with. If you looked at it funny your low end would vanish. Even the lowpass mode acted like a highpass mode

The Boomstick Bottom Feeder or whatever Tonefactor's calling their DOD440 clone now is pretty awesome too, and dead-simple.

• Members

Looked at some demos of the Groove Regulator, and what looks to be an improvement with the GR-2 (I like the dry/wet knob), very interested. Gotta find some shops around here with some of these pedals!

On the EBS, how much variety can you get in differing tones? That's one of my main focus points, the ability to find a range of tones and sounds, rather than one or two go-to settings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

check out Iron Ether.. the Xerograph is what i play and i wouldnt trade it for ANYTHING ELSE... not a chunk systems agent funk, not a mutron, not NUTHIN!!!!!!

Its range is incredible, extremely versatile, easy to use, and c'mon, its awesome when your rockin boxes from small companies, personally will take care of you, return your calls, answer your questions, and plainly talk to you like a HUMAN BEING.. and people wont recognize the damn thing, keeps your tone secretive to nearby envier's :cool:

http://ironether.com/

Archived