bass buffers?

mlwarriner

• Members

ok, so here's the deal. i have two main basses. a nordstrand-loaded J/J bass, fully passive, no tone controls. and a tribute SB-2 P/J bass, fully stock.

running one or the other into a trace v-type (v4) all tube head and into an ampeg mini-fridge (6x10).

right now, i have the trace dialed in for the nordy bass. when i plug in the SB-2, it sounds like ass. if i go into the passive input, the signal is too hot and just sound farty and ass-like. but if i go into the active input, the sound is muffled and muted with pretty much no balls. as if someone threw a couple of heavy blankets over my cab.

i don't want to have to adjust settings any/every time i swap basses, but really want/need to be able to use either bass as the mood strikes.

is there a pedal or box of some kind that will "turn down" the signal from the SB-2 without throwing a blanket over my cab? something that will split the difference between the active and passive inputs on my head? or am i doomed to have to tweak knobs every time i want to switch basses?

• Members

i think it probably would, but i was thinking of something much simpler... :shrug:

maybe like a simple a/b box with a volume knob on either the a channel or the b channel...

This box will do that...and more. Each channel has a separate volume/gain? knob. I used one when I was running a passive bass and a very hot active bass. It worked well.

• Moderators

First, the obvious: have you tried turning down the SB-2? I assume that the volume control is functional.

Next, it is easy to reduce the level. All it takes is a box and a couple of resistors. The only part that is at all difficult is determining what size resistors you need. Of course, this won't be a buffer, just an attenuator. If the SB-2 is active, it shouldn't need a buffer anyway. If not, using high value resistors should minimize the tone loss from the attenuator.

• Members

First, the obvious: have you tried turning down the SB-2? I assume that the volume control is functional.

Next, it is easy to reduce the level. All it takes is a box and a couple of resistors. The only part that is at all difficult is determining what size resistors you need. Of course, this won't be a buffer, just an attenuator. If the SB-2 is active, it shouldn't need a buffer anyway. If not, using high value resistors should minimize the tone loss from the attenuator.

perhaps "attenuator" is what i meant in the first place. just need a simple something to turn down the volume on the SB-2. yes, the volume control(s) are functional, but they interact strangely between the P pickup and the J pickup (there's a volume for each). adjusting both volumes equally (or as close to equally as i can get) doesn't necessarily just lower the volume output of the bass, it seems (to my ears) to alter tone as well.

• Members

Would getting something that has more options (like the BassBone, Micro Bass II) be a better solution? You'd be able to dial in both sounds on that, and keep the amp settings at an optimum level for both instruments, allowing you to easily change gear with a minimum of hassle.

i suppose it's possible, yes. but i think for my needs/wants, i'll be better served with something simpler. GM is going to build me an A/B box with a simple volume control on one channel. that should do what i'm after. :)

• Members

i suppose it's possible, yes. but i think for my needs/wants, i'll be better served with something simpler. GM is going to build me an A/B box with a simple volume control on one channel. that should do what i'm after.
:)

I was going to suggest you built something like that or get GM to if you can't be bothered :thu:

• Members

i suppose it's possible, yes. but i think for my needs/wants, i'll be better served with something simpler. GM is going to build me an A/B box with a simple volume control on one channel. that should do what i'm after.
:)

Gotcha. So the amp is dialed in that both basses, aside from volume, sound great? That would be my only rationale to get something a little more robust.

• Members

Gotcha. So the amp is dialed in that both basses, aside from volume, sound great? That would be my only rationale to get something a little more robust.

the amp is dialed balls-on for the JJ bass. and i think it would be just tits also with the PJ, if the PJ weren't quite so hot...

• Members

Assuming you want to keep the stupid Vol/Vol controls, you can take two resisters (totaling at least 500K ohms) between the ground and the current signal out, and connect the jack between the resistors. Something like Signal---150K---Output---500K---ground should get you pretty close to reducing the signal to about 75% what it was. It'll cost less than $1 and take 5 min.

voltage-divider.gif

Edit: Just to let you know, this is exactly how potentiometers work, so don't go thinking this is some weird ass design...there's two of these in your bass already.

• Members

Assuming you want to keep the stupid Vol/Vol controls, you can take two resisters (totaling at least 500K ohms) between the ground and the current signal out, and connect the jack between the resistors. Something like Signal---150K---Output---500K---ground should get you pretty close to reducing the signal to about 75% what it was. It'll cost less than $1 and take 5 min.

voltage-divider.gif

Edit: Just to let you know, this is exactly how potentiometers work, so don't go thinking this is some weird ass design...there's two of these in your bass already.

i'd rather just keep the SB-2 stock, and deal with my perceived issues externally. :)

• Members

You need to look at the Radial BassBone. It allows two widely different instruments to use the same amp settings. One of the inputs has a decent set of tone controls, both have volume and the pushbutton doesn't POP when pushed. I use one to run my Jazz through the main input and use the controllable input to adjust for my upright. That way all I do is switch, push and play.

Archived