Acoustic B200 Combo amp

Wiser Visor

• Members

Hi to everyone...I'm new here. It's great to read all of the posts everyone makes. I just got a used Acoustic B200 combo amp and am really surprised at the power it has. I've read of a few who have a hum from it even with nothing plugged in. I'm looking for a fix for this condition. I'm the second owner and I have read that the warranty only goes to the original owner. There was a post here by an anonymous posted who stated he had a fix for this problem. I understand it has to do with positioning of the toroid trasformer than induces a hum in the system. If anyone has a solution, please let me know. Thanks

• Members

Hello, another newbie here. I own a handful of Acoustic amps, among them the B-200 combo which I have used quite a bit. I bought it as a used item from one of the big chains and sure enough it had that same bad hum. I still played it but it steadly crapped out until it was useless. Rather than deal with sending it back I took it to a good reapair shop. It was a broken solder joint somewhere and easy to fix. While they had it they put in a Eminince Lite speaker I had. The total was I think $70.00 and thing has kicked ass and been very quiet since. And I know some people disagree but I think the power rating is very fair. I also have a B-200 head and both are much louder than the G&K MB-210 combos I have.

I hope this helps,

Tim

• Members

Thanks for the tip Tim. Did you ever run an additional cabinet with the combo? I'm a bit confused about the way the speaker out is wired. How does it affect the power output of the amp? I wrote to Acoustic, but never received a response... not encouraging. If I add a cabinet, like one of the Acoustic 210 Neos, is the amp still putting out 200 watts or is it more or less? I have to assume it is the same since it is wired in parallel and not in series.... is this right? But then I realize that addition speakers change the ohm rating...right? Can someone give me some advice about this? I really like the amp, even with the hum. I'm playing a Fender Mexico Jazz throught it and it sounds great.

Thanks,

Paul

• Members

Acoustic amps are solid-state amplifiers, and since they are solid state, speaker impedance is pretty much a non-issue: you can connect almost anything and they'll work. My guess is that the aux. speaker jack is connected in parallel with the main speaker - that's the case on my 70's Acoustic bass amp. Yes, the amp will still put out it's rated power at a lower impedance.

• Members

Never ran an extension cabinet with the combo. I used it for about a year then got a B-200 head and 410 cabinet. In the manual, all they say is for the spkr. output is 4 ohms minmum load, parallel. The 410 cab is 8 ohms. I assume the 115 cabinet is 8 ohms also. The heads themselves are 200 watts @2ohms. So I think the deal is with the 8 ohm cabs wired up you still have the same amp output as has been mentioned. I would think the combo wired to an extension cab with 10's would be pretty cool long as you have space on stage.

I don't know anything about the Acoustic Neos sorry to say. That they didn't respond is lame. Maybe Guitar Center can be more help.

Tim

• Members

Thanks Tim,

How do you like the 200 head and 410 cabinet? We haven't started playing yet, except for a high school reunion last November.... after getting all the old band members back together to play for our reunion, we decided to put the old band back together. I've been practicing at home through an Ampeg BA210sp and bought the Acoustic B200 to leave at our practice house, but after playing through it, plan on using it on jobs. I'm hoping that it will be enough as I don't think we will be playing any very large venues. The 210 Neos seem to be nice...very light and almost the same dimensions as the combo so they would stack well with a relatively small footprint.

Paul

• Members

I like the 200 into the 410's a lot. More punchy and defined than the 200 combo w/ the 15. Not that the 15 was bad. I'd like to hear what the 410 would sound like with better speakers.

Hmm, I wonder how the combo stacked on the 410's would look and sound. I never tried that.

Anyway if you are playing smaller places the 200's should be fine plus you'll be going through the PA I assume.

Have fun with it! I'd be interested in how the extension amp works out for you.

Tim

Archived