Big, fat strings on my fretless.....

starfire_Xes

• Members

What size of strings do fretless players like? I just put a set of the daddario half-wound heavy strings on my fretless P, they are .110 E, down to a .60 G, big, fat, but with that low action, they sound really good (at least to me) they got a lot of punch, and some really potent mids and lows..... plus some brightness because they are half wound. Yet some bass players I know refuse to use anything but those tinny slinky strings, that don't have any punch. Me, I'm sold on the heavy duty, nitty-gritty, hard core, down to earth thump and punch of heavy bass strings. How about you?

• Members

I think Thomastiks were my faves, but I've been trying others(grounds mostly) and it's been quite a while. I should revisit them.

TI's sounded like total garbage on my fretless, they just killed the bass's tone alltogether. The D'Addario half rounds though, sound absolutely incredible and will be the only strings It ever wears. The difference is so huge it's shocking.

• Members

TI's sounded like total garbage on my fretless, they just killed the bass's tone alltogether. The D'Addario half rounds though, sound absolutely incredible and will be the only strings It ever wears. The difference is so huge it's shocking.

I had TIs on my 'Ray 4 for years. I'm thinking of trying them on my Bongo6.

• Members

The D'Addario half rounds though, sound absolutely incredible and will be the only strings It ever wears. The difference is so huge it's shocking.

That's the same feeling after I tried the daddario half rounds for the first time. Now, Im up to the massive fat set (.110 E). What I like is there is so much range with them, depending on your touch. That is, the dynamics--I can get nice fairly bright popping (for a fretless), some fender twang, yet also get the really deep soft sound a traditional fretless, or even a lot of maw midrange, depending how I touch it. Of course, part of the reason for such good response is that the ebony fretboard transmits everything that happens without really coloring it at all.

Archived