Joined my buddy's band on bass and am borrowing gear, need help finding my own stuff!

Legal Fingers

• Members

A local band I'm friends with said they needed a bass player. I somewhat-jokingly said, "I wish I had some bass gear, I'd totally do it!" Turns out they already had the gear. I learned the songs, had a practice, and now I'm in. I'm a guitarist by trade and they're a punk rock and, so it's not a matter of difficulty I have here, but I would like to own my own stuff.

I don't have a lot of money, but I'd be willing to spend around $200 (meaning up to $225 if it's really worth it, and not a penny more) to get a bass. An amp and cab are probably out of the question at this point, bu I would really like to have my own bass to use. They have some Schecter bass (not sure of the model) (no idea on the cab/head, either, but it put out a lot of sound for only being 4x10) that plays fine and sounds fine, but, like I said, I'd like to have my own for the sake of practicing at home and just because I tend to toss {censored} around on stage and don't want to {censored} up anyone else's gear.

So, what's decent that I can score for my price range? Looking to buy used. Always liked the look of the Peavey T-40s, but know nothing about them. Don't want a jazz bass, either. Help!

• Members

Older used USA Peaveys are very good basses. But the T-40 prices have gone way up, and they usually will cost more than $225 (if you find one for that, snatch it). The Peavey Foundation is an excellent bass, as is the Peavey Fury.

I believe the Squier Vintage Modified basses can be found used for $200 or so, and these are outstanding. The P-bass version is one of my favorite production (non-boutique) basses at ANY price.

• Members

Older used USA Peaveys are very good basses. But the T-40 prices have gone way up, and they usually will cost more than $225 (if you find one for that, snatch it). The Peavey Foundation is an excellent bass, as is the Peavey Fury.

I believe the Squier Vintage Modified basses can be found used for $200 or so, and these are outstanding. The P-bass version is one of my favorite production (non-boutique) basses at ANY price.

Yep, pretty much this. Every now and then an old Ibanez, Japanese, comes up pretty cheap also.

• Members

Awesome, y'all. Thanks a lot.

I'm looking at the SX basses, too. They're cheap as {censored} new, and I always liked the way the SX/Agile stuff looked. The Agile guitars I've played have been really solid, so just wondering if the SX basses are just as good.

• Members

I've played an SX and found it surprisingly good. However, I understand quite a few people have gotten some substandard ones. But if you do get a good one, it's a fine bass.

• Members

Awesome, y'all. Thanks a lot.

I'm looking at the SX basses, too. They're cheap as {censored} new, and I always liked the way the SX/Agile stuff looked. The Agile guitars I've played have been really solid, so just wondering if the SX basses are just as good.

:facepalm: Don't do it man. Just buy a Squier Vintage Modified Series or Classic Vibe series. Preferably the former. It is a solid, decent bass that you will enjoy playing. SX is, well, you get what you pay for. {censored}.

• Members

I've played an SX and found it surprisingly good. However, I understand quite a few people have gotten some substandard ones. But if you do get a good one, it's a fine bass.

+1

All the SX stuff I've played is great for the money. Same for Agile.

• Members

I recently added a Rondo fretless for $180 brand new, and for the money it can't be beat. It's a decent bass, and will be even better when I change out the pickups. Check out their site: rondomusic.com. But you should be able to find a Squier on craigslist for under $200. I would definitely check out craigslist, because you may stumble onto an Ibanez for $200 (or less). There's a Schecter Stiletto in my area that somebody's been trying to get rid of at $300 for a month now, and each time I see the ad, I want to get it, but my GAS is deservedly running on fumes right now after adding pedals and and bass in the last month. :)

Archived