4x10 & 1x15 or 1x15 & 1x15?

Moustache_Bash

• Members

My rigs have evolved from a single 215, to a 410/115, to a 212/210, to a 412/212, to my current 212/212. The best sounding rigs of these, by a huge margin were the single 215 and the current 212/212. I am a firm believer in using the same cabs rather than vastly different cabs. Everything is easier and sounds better this way. And the current rig is two GB NeoX212's. There is simply not any scenerio where that isn't overkill, but they sound so damn good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

ya know, one thing your poll is not mentioning is two 12 cabs. the above post made me think of the Genz Benz Neo 212XT. That is a pretty monsterous cabinet in it's own right.

If that's too much scratch I have put an AVATAR B212Neo on top of my AMPEG SVT215E and it's pretty killer. Actually the Avatar B212Neo isn't a bad sounding stand alone cab.

I'm partial to 15's though. In fact I have my AMPEG 15, Avatar 212 and Avatar 210 up for sale on Craigslist as we speak.

I'm using my Sunn 215 (two Eminence Kappalite C2515's, 300 watts each). AND I have a second Sunn 215 that I'm going to put the same speakers in. Of course I don't have to haul a cab around very much. Not gigging so it stays in our practice space. It would be a different story if I was gigging...I would probably look to go lean/light.

• Members

I've looked into those, and they seem great. My only issue is cost, coupled with their shape. At $600 a piece, buying two at once is cost prohibitive for me. And I can't see a way to stack one with a fifteen, or 2x10, amp, that would be stable and pleasing to the eye.

And, if I am not mistaken, they only come in 4 ohms, so it either has to be your only cab or you'll need a 2 ohm stable amp.

Right AND Wrong. You can get cables to hook two speaker cabs up in series so that two 4 ohm cabs become an 8 ohm load.

• Members

Single 15's with high qaulity (not piezo, those are garbage imo) tweeter. Cause ones Ive heard had better tonal balance and less overdone bass emphasis then the 2x10 and 4x10 cabs Ive tried. Btw 1 fifteen speaker equals two ten inch for air movemnt as std rule of thumb.

Archived