Ibanez upgrades?

jrcorp

• Members

I'm mostly a guitarist, but I have an SR300DX to use for church or whenever I need a bass. I love the feel and I think it sounds pretty good, but it's needed a little attention and I want to upgrade it some. Eventually, I would like to spring for the SD Vintage P and J pickups, but I can make do for now. The tuners and bridge are becoming a priority, though - the tuners are okay but one of them has a stripped bushing, and the bridge is bent some.

I'm open to suggestions on affordable pickups and preamps, but what would fit and be an upgrade for hardware? I looked around a bit from here at work but until I can measure and check out the bass, does anyone know what would fit? For tuners I have seen Gotoh and Wilkinson that would seem to fit and are inexpensive, but bridges seem more difficult to find. I believe the stock bridge mounts with 4 screws and I know it's a top mount. One of the mounting holes on the body seems stripped out, so I may need to do a little work no matter what.

• Members

I think I would go for the gotoh tuners. What color is the hardware? I have a badass III brass bridge that is gathering dust. Maybe we could wheel and deal? I am curious about the preamp upgrades myself. I have an SRT 800 DX that I am thinking about upgrading the pup/preamps on.

Thanks for the help. My hardware is chrome, but I'm not opposed to a change. The bass is the weird pink-reddish sparkle color, and I was already imagining how different pickup covers would look. I would be willing to try and make a deal about the Badass, but I'm wondering how it would fit and whether I could afford it right now. If you could PM me with any info or pictures that would be great.

As for electronics, I don't have a clue with bass gear. I'm used to all passive stuff on guitar, so anything active kind of spooks me. I have good experience with SD for pickups and I know Bartolini is a good name, but their stuff is pricey too. What's the control layout on the 800DX? I have two volume knobs, one for each pickup, as well as a master tone and a "Phat" active bass boost. I'm wondering whether I would go for a master volume and a blend/pan, or what's out there.

• Members

I screwed up. It is a badass II, not a III. It is designed for Jazz/P basses, but if you look at the screw pattern and it matches what you have on there now, it should work.

This is it.

Unfortunately I don't see how I could use that without drilling, and maybe filling in the existing holes too. Thanks for the offer though; if I can't find a bridge that fits maybe I'll get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I did some research on Talkbass and elsewhere - Google, the Ibanez site, other forums - and made a few discoveries. I'm mainly looking into a replacement bridge at this point, as I think sourcing tuners will be easier and the stock bridge is lifting off the bass on the tail end.

Here is what I found through the Ibanez website (took some work to get the links):

Parts list for SR300DX SA

2BB1EB7 bridge

Wiring diagram

The funny thing about the bridge is that mine has 2 mounting screws in the front corners as well, and the 2 in back are where it's lifting up off the body as the holes are getting stripped. I have a set of flats on it in standard tuning, so I don't think it's my fault.

I could order a replacement bridge as this one is bending, but for the money I would rather upgrade.

In looking up info on my specific bass, I searched "ibanez sangria" to make sure I had the right color and found this picture on flickr:

396628940_86cc196841.jpg

Any idea of what bridge that is? I contacted the user to ask him about replacing the stock.

So far, I think based on prices I would be shopping at Warmoth, buying the Gotoh tuners and a Gotoh 201 bridge for about $90 total.

• Members

The bridge looks like an Accu Cast B100 according to the 2004 parts catalog. I got a response back from the (former) owner saying it was probably stock as it was that way when he got it and said "Ibanez" on the bridge. So I guess they upgraded the newer 300DX's.

Though any of the Accu Cast bridges look better than my stock bridge, I can't find them for sale anywhere online at a reasonable price. I'm assuming they would cost an arm and a leg through Ibanez, so I may try a Gotoh 201.

• Members

Gotoh bridges arre real nice, inexpensive, and they dont add the treble zingyness baddass bridges do. You may well need to drill new starter holes for replacement bridge and fill unused holes from old bridge. No biggee.

Though I've never done this before, I think I could manage. I should try to get softwood dowels that fit snugly, cut them to size and glue them in? Thanks for the response. As for the Gotoh bridges, I noticed the difference in tone from the Badass in a Youtube comparison. I would rather get a bassier sound anyway, so between that and the price difference why not?

Archived