Markbass CL152, 2x15 Classic

Marko

• Members

Why music manufacturers continue to use that old particle board is beyond me. I know that it's cheaper, but it's so... well, cheap. They tend to use water soluble glue on them, so let any water get to them, and they start to swell. And, as you stated, not very strong to begin with, often allowing the wood screws to pull right out.

I was unloading equipment last night in the rain, in particular five monitors (from a music trailer) and I thought about this same, exact thing. These are all five old, Peavey monitors with real horns in them, 22XT drivers, and most with BW speakers. They really sound great, but the weight is a killer and they all have been nicked and scraped over the years, exposing the particle board. It's just a matter of time, like last night, loading in and loading out in the rain, that they get wet and start to crumble.

• Members

Why music manufacturers continue to use that old particle board is beyond me. I know that it's cheaper, but it's so... well, cheap. They tend to use water soluble glue on them, so let any water get to them, and they start to swell. And, as you stated, not very strong to begin with, often allowing the wood screws to pull right out.

I was unloading equipment last night in the rain, in particular five monitors (from a music trailer) and I thought about this same, exact thing. These are all five old, Peavey monitors with real horns in them, 22XT drivers, and most with BW speakers. They really sound great, but the weight is a killer and they all have been nicked and scraped over the years, exposing the particle board. It's just a matter of time, like last night, loading in and loading out in the rain, that they get wet and start to crumble.

As long as you can cut a straight line, it is not real hard to rebuild those cabs EZ. I just recently rebuilt a set of 215 community subs that had the same treatment as the OP, and it took me and a buddy less than three hours, start to finish (including sweeping up all the disintegrated MDF...:D

• Members

Yeah, but I'd have FIVE monitor cabs to rebuild, although four are exact copies. (four 1x12's, one 1x15). And it's not the mounting board, it's the outside. Of course, these are probably 12 years old, but they sound phenomenal and the working parts are all fine. It would be a complete re-build of the entire cab.

Might be a summer project for me. :wave:

• Members

Yeah, but I'd have FIVE monitor cabs to rebuild, although four are exact copies. (four 1x12's, one 1x15). And it's not the mounting board, it's the outside. Of course, these are probably 12 years old, but they sound phenomenal and the working parts are all fine. It would be a complete re-build of the entire cab.

Might be a summer project for me.
:wave:

How bad are they now? Is the wood really shot, or just in spots?

My old Tops were the 15

• Members

Rat fur torn or ripped in spots, exposing the particle board, and mostly on the corners. They have had a rough 12-13 years. But if I am going to repair/replace one, I really need to do all five.

Four 1x12's, all exactly the same, all speakon in/out.

One 1x15, which will be converted to speakon.

I run both off one QSC PLX1602. Max 300 wts to the single 15, max 200 wts each to each 12. (We never use that much.) My board (Yammy) has only two monitor mixes, so this works out well for us.

Yeah, after getting the measurements for one of the 12's, we could just duplicate it until we had four. Then tackle the 15. I know a decent woodworker who also teaches school, so waiting until summer might be the best time for him. I would either use "naugahyde" stuff or simply paint them black - but no rat fur for me. When we do this, I will take plenty of photos to post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As for the Lightwave bass, I got one just like it for very cheap in a "going out of business sale".

FWIW I had a bit of frustration from all of the string noise that resulted from my "less than perfect" technique. All of that was solved by some TI flats that gave it a nice, unique clear as a bell sound. Wanting something a little bit more punchy, I now have groundwouns onit and I LOVE the bass and everything about it. If I see another one for cheap, I would probably have a hard time not grabbing it, planning BEAD tuning with groundwounds. (D'Addario half rounds). The string choices seem to make a huge difference with the optical pickups. Well done sir.

Archived