I'm sure it's been covered, but least floppy b on a fiver?

Avalanchemaster

• Members

The B on my Reverend is nice, which I attribute to the 35" scale.

I've played the Cort Curbow 5. The 4 is an excellent bass, the 5 has a very skinny neck and I believe a 34" scale. I'm not overly impressed with any of Cort's 5 string basses.

The Ibanez BTB is a great bass. Lakland 5ers also have a 35" scale, and sound great though you'll want to go with their Skyline models if you don't want to spend a huge amount of money.

I've played some 34" 5s with good B strings, but not cheap ones. The Stingray 5 has a pretty nice B, for instance.

Get your hands on a few, even if you aren't going to buy right away. I approach the 5 as a separate beast from the 4, and some of the things I like on a 4 I don't want on a 5.

• Members

Sunburstbasser couldn't have said it better.Stingrays have a surprisingly great B when you consider the scale. Carvin has a decent "extended scale" 5er,believe it or not!

Yes, I think they list it as 35.5" on their site. One of my friends has a Carvin 4 and it is an excellent bass. The 5s would be worth checking out as well, and used can be had for a very nice price.

• Members

I had them "custom" make me a 7 piece neck thru,string thru 5er about ten years ago.It was a GREAT bass! No {censored}! I'm not much of a Carvin lover,but that bass,and the 2-10/1-18 speakers(Carvin)powered by my SWR 900 was a killer rig.Then I plugged my first EBMMSR5 into it,and traded the Carvin for a Shure wireless unit that I haven't used in 5 years!!! I know...STUPID!!! Lol

• Members

It's starting to sound like a broken record in here, but I have to agree on the StingRay 5. As far as value/price ratio goes, they are a good deal for a non-floppy, good-quality 5 string. The other Music Man basses are also good, but I think the StingRay 5 is the least expensive of them. There's no shortage of good used ones for under a grand out there, either.

However, Ed Friedland really liked the most recent Fender American Standard Precision V - he indicated that the B string was actually quite good. Brand new, those go for just under $1300. Here's a link to his review:

. He also specifically addresses concerns with the B string here:

• Members

Another StingRay 5er fan here - I also like Ibanez for 34" 5ers... For inexpensive, but good quality 35" 5ers, Spector's Legends and Schecter's Stiletto Elites have pretty good B strings... All can be had for a decent price on the used market, with the EBMMs being the most expensive...

- georgestrings

• Members

I tried desperately to justify buying a Modulus Q5 Sweet Spot with a Bartolini back around '94-'95 or so. It was freakishly even from E to B, like a keyboard almost. Still want, never have the megabucks laying about though. The pickup position has a lot to do with it. I played a cheap import Curbow a few years back with a similar configuration and scale, it was very close (except in price, LOL).

• Members

My Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 has an amazingly nice and tight B. 35" scale helps. My MIM Jazz deluxe was a little loose, but not the troublesome kind of loose... Even my cheapo Essex (SX, before they changed the name to just the letters) has a decent low B even with a 34" scale..

• Members

37" scale? Did you have trouble reaching the first fret at that length? Or maybe you could play with the neck pitched up? Yeah, I am thinking 35" would be minimum.

With the fanned frets it didn't feel like that much bigger than a 35". That being said, I only played it for like 15 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So it looks like the 3k price range grants me this simple request???

The Dingwall basses are intoxicating!! Why don't more manufacturers do the individual saddles? I know Ibanez does on the BTBs, but they aren't active basses... and they aren't adjusted for extra length like the Dingwalls are....

• Members

So it looks like the 3k price range grants me this simple request???

The Dingwall basses are intoxicating!! Why don't more manufacturers do the individual saddles? I know Ibanez does on the BTBs, but they aren't active basses... and they aren't adjusted for extra length like the Dingwalls are....

The stiletto Studio is $750 new, I got mine as a factory second due to a tiny finish flaw on the bottom (by the strap-button) for like $490. there are some good options out there that fit the criteria of a tight B and a reasonable price

I

Archived