New (used) fretless!

coyote-1

• Members

Just scored one of these, in great condition, for $270.00

gear_1599_13200026392109147162.JPG

Ocean fretless 4 neck thru with Bartolini active pups

The neck has a slight bit of string 'evidence' on it, but that aside it is near perfect. Hard to justify since I'm not playing bass in a band at this point, but I could not resist at that price. It has flatwounds, and sounds and plays wonderfully.

• Members

$270 with Barts? Nice deal! How does it sound?

Awesome. It has six distinctive tones, all musical, with nice flexibility between the tones. And it is very well balanced.

I wasn't even looking for a bass. I have three other serious basses, including a Warwick fretless, and I'm not even playing bass in a band now!! But it found me... and when I see the one at Ash for $600 and it is only in 'good' condition, I say "yeah baby, I'll take it" :)

• Members

Well, for the money and features and looks I'd say you did very well. Enjoy.

Thanks! It joins these instruments, in what I guess I now have to label a collection:

ConklinBass.jpg

P1010194.jpg

zoom_76814131_Tune_TWB53FM.jpg

Each plays very well, and has unique sound and features. The Tune TWB53 in particular sounds like a piano. The new Laguna Ocean will be my first on which I'll keep flatwounds. I think they are actually half-rounds or something because they are very lively. The bassist in my band keeps a Fender Jazz and an upright acoustic in my studio, so I have six awesome basses around :)

• Members

What became of those basses? I did/do not like their guitars, but I thought the Ocean bass line was a really solid instrument when I played one years ago. Those barts made it sound great... and a fretless? Even better!

I'd never heard of the brand til I saw this one. I picked it up, and it was just right. So I grabbed it... I don't care about brand name etc.

• Members

Congrats!!! Love me some fretless,just haven't made the jump!!! Great collection as well!!!

There's actually one more, a Robelli SWD. It sounds good, and is the only fretted 4 I own. I just have to do a fret dressing on it so I don't rip my hands up while playing it. Some guy on talkbass put a MM pick guard on his, and I'm tempted to do likewise.

carlo.jpg

• Members

Well I was gonna invest some major effort in the Robelli, but after a couple days' work decided it's not worth the time. The action is as good as it's ever gonna get, and it's not good. The neck feels like a baseball bat. I was gonna dress the frets and whatnot, but can't see bothering. It's a drag because the sound coming from the instrument ain't bad.

So I'll just keep my eye out for a deal on a good fretted 4-string without concerning myself with it.... or if I get ambitious, pick up a good neck and install it.

Archived