Shortscale: Fender Mustang vs Squire Bronco vs Squire Jaguar vs Squire Mikey Way

BTR@GTRHERO

• Members

So I'm in the market for a short scale bass, I already own a full sized Fender P-bass. Which would you go with Fender Mustang, Squire Bronco, Squire Jaguar or Squire Mikey Way? And are any of these "top heavy"? Feel free to suggest other brands that have short scales as well. Thank guys

• Members

Depends on what you want it to sound like. The Mustang will sound similar to a regular P bass. The Bronco will sound more like a 51-54 P or the neck pickup of a J bass. The Jag will be the most flexible with the PJ pickups. Don't know about the Mikey Way.

I would recommend trying out a Danelectro if you can find one. They've got their own unique sound, and I like them a lot more than Fender short scales.

• Members

Depends on what you want it to sound like. The Mustang will sound similar to a regular P bass. The Bronco will sound more like a 51-54 P or the neck pickup of a J bass. The Jag will be the most flexible with the PJ pickups. Don't know about the Mikey Way.

I would recommend trying out a Danelectro if you can find one. They've got their own unique sound, and I like them a lot more than Fender short scales.

thanks so much for your post

got a link to a specific danelectro short scale? thanks.

• Members

I would take the P/J pickup combination over anything else and work from there. It's just a great, punchy & full sounding setup and easily modified should you want to upgrade. I also really like the Squier body shape, very comfortable and thin.

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

I prefer the longhorn. But shorthorns, single cutaways and all the other Dano's pretty much all sound the same. Same neck, pickups, etc.

59DanelectroLonghorn.jpg

thanks man. its a pretty ugly bass, but i bet it's comfy and light. i did see youtube videos of it and it does sound pretty rad. the price isn't awful either. still considering it.

• Members

I would take the P/J pickup combination over anything else and work from there. It's just a great, punchy & full sounding setup and easily modified should you want to upgrade. I also really like the Squier body shape, very comfortable and thin.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks man. i just hear that they are neck heavy, which i hate, who likes neck heavy anyway? and why continue to produce neck heavy guitars? i dont get it. i'm also afraid of rocking a squire name on stage. i feel as though it would make me seem less professional. i don't know... if i was with my high school garage band i definitely wouldn't think twice bout a squire. i don't know. what do you think?

• Members

thanks man. i just hear that they are neck heavy, which i hate, who likes neck heavy anyway? and why continue to produce neck heavy guitars? i dont get it. i'm also afraid of rocking a squire name on stage. i feel as though it would make me seem less professional. i don't know... if i was with my high school garage band i definitely wouldn't think twice bout a squire. i don't know. what do you think?

Hmm, let's take a step back here. What kind of budget are you on? You might be happier with the Mustang if you are willing to sacrifice some sound quality in order not to have the Squier name issue. On my Squier Jags I have Fender (Jazz) necks, which are heavier the the Squier necks plus aluminum bridges and I still never noticed any neck diving issues. But if enough people are saying they are neck heavy, maybe they're right but I'd venture to say they are exaggerating.

Getting back to to Squier name issue, if it just bugs you, that's one thing. If you are concerned that an audience might notice, don't worry about it. The only ones who would notice would be Guitar and Bass players who if they cared at all would probably think it's cool you are rocking out a "budget" Bass.

If nothing else you could do the piece of tape over the brand name like all the TV shows do, hah ha.

Good luck with the hunt.

• Members

i did see youtube videos of it and it does sound pretty rad. the price isn't awful either. still considering it.

Like I said, it depends what you want to do with it. If you want a backup bass that sounds like your P, it isn't the right one. But if you want something that sounds different and cool, it might be.

• Members

I was looking around at Ebay. I didn't realize a new Fender Mustang in the $700.00 area but I should have figured. I don't know what the quality level is but even if superb, I think there are better options. If you can get a nice used one or a great deal, great. If not I think the Squier SS Jags are the way to go and the black head stocks look cool no matter what name is on it. So you would get a bass with the best pickup arrangement (IM0) that looks good and once set up will probably play well. In time you can put a Dimarzio or something similar in the bridge position and you will definitely notice a positive improvement. But as was mentioned that's if you want to stay in the traditional P or Jazz sounding area; you may want something unique sounding or funkier looking.

Okay enough babbling from me, but again, good luck.

• Members

Hmm, let's take a step back here. What kind of budget are you on? You might be happier with the Mustang if you are willing to sacrifice some sound quality in order not to have the Squier name issue. On my Squier Jags I have Fender (Jazz) necks, which are heavier the the Squier necks plus aluminum bridges and I still never noticed any neck diving issues. But if enough people are saying they are neck heavy, maybe they're right but I'd venture to say they are exaggerating.

Getting back to to Squier name issue, if it just bugs you, that's one thing. If you are concerned that an audience might notice, don't worry about it. The only ones who would notice would be Guitar and Bass players who if they cared at all would probably think it's cool you are rocking out a "budget" Bass.

If nothing else you could do the piece of tape over the brand name like all the TV shows do, hah ha.

Good luck with the hunt.

thanks man. really helpful. If i ever purchase the squire jag bass i may replace the neck with a fender one like you did, but i would go with a P neck. are you saying though that the squire jag is superior in terms of sound compared to the fender mustang? what about quality of the materials used, are they much different? budget wise, it's been an expensive year for me, so about a day ago when i first discovered and just heard about the squire jag i was stoked, mostly because it was only $170 ($170, really? theres gotta be a catch. I've read that squire necks like to warp out quickly after a limited time of use). However, I have been wanting the Fender mustang for years, because really at that time the mustang and the squire bronco was the only shortscale basses in the fender family.

• Members

Just a note, I have regular scale Jags so there were lots of replacement choices out there. I don't know what the replacement situation is for the smaller scale ones. I've seen Fender Mustang necks for sale but they are usually expensive. You can always keep a lookout for a more reasonable seller though.

• Members

I was looking around at Ebay. I didn't realize a new Fender Mustang in the $700.00 area but I should have figured. I don't know what the quality level is but even if superb, I think there are better options. If you can get a nice used one or a great deal, great. If not I think the Squier SS Jags are the way to go and the black head stocks look cool no matter what name is on it. So you would get a bass with the best pickup arrangement (IM0) that looks good and once set up will probably play well. In time you can put a Dimarzio or something similar in the bridge position and you will definitely notice a positive improvement. But as was mentioned that's if you want to stay in the traditional P or Jazz sounding area; you may want something unique sounding or funkier looking.

Okay enough babbling from me, but again, good luck.

$700 for a brand new fender mustang, I know... not cheap. However I have found a very few used ones at $450-550 that i would possibly consider.

If i get the squire jaguar and needed to replace the pups i would go with a duncan quarter pound basslines, i doubt i would ever change the bridge pups though as i don't really need it, but i guess it would be nice to have.

• Members

I do recommend them but mine are pretty modified. They are full scale. I think the bridge pups are a little tame. I like a hot pickup in there that is set to just about distort a bit so I use it to shape the overall sound.

If you can find a Fender Mustang in good shape for those prices, that's great.

• Members

If you can find a Fender Mustang in good shape for those prices, that's great.

I think all of the ones I found used in the $450 range are red (really don't want a red guitar). Lol. Red is the most expensive paint color to make, but it's funny how red cars and red guitars usually end up being the cheapest in used condition (except ferraris of course, duh)

• Members

I'm lovin' my Squire Mikey Way. Build quality is excellent, Not my favorite color but I've always liked the sound of a single humbucker so not many choices. I've heard the Flea Bass Jr's build quality is poor. I also have a Cort Action Bass Jr. that is quite well built - wish it came in more colors...

Archived