Looking to pick up bass again

Psilocybin

• Members

Hey folks. I'm looking to get back into music after years off. Back before I had a decent job, I sold my gear to pay some bills, and never picked it up again.

I used to have US made j bass, but always wanted/liked musicman. I have some MM questions.

Does anyone have strong feelings on a standard singray style vs the "classic" model that is offered? Being kind of ignorant on these matters I don't know if there is much of a bonus from having the string through design. To me, that sounds like it would be more sturdy, but idk.

There is a used stingray 5 with aftermarket pickups I'm interrested in. Its from 1990. I know some folks like the pre EB models from the 70's or they buy newer ones. I haven't heard anything about 1990's mm bass.

Whats are fair prices for a decent condition used stingray 4 and 5 with case?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm in sort of the same, sort of the opposite position :-)  I played years ago, and still have my '79 MM Stingray, sadly the worse for wear -- weird tweak in the neck, and the nut has 'decayed' to the point of cracking, though the electronics & body are still apparently solid.

Now my kid is taking violin lessons, and I'm interested in getting back into upright bass, which I played in college but never owned.  The kid likes practicing as a pair, but he'd probably dig it more if I was playing with a bow too.  So I'm interested in peoples' experience with upright electrics.

But to the OP's point, in looking at what my 'ray might bring on the open market (assuming it was in decent shape), it seems like people are getting around 2 grand for pre-Ernie Ball stingrays, and more like 1000-1500 for older EBs.  Adjust for condition.

Myself, aside from the "intangibles" of having an instrument that's been played a long time, I can't see why you wouldn't want a modern EB Stingray - I certainly can't tell the difference between them in sound.  It's a slab body with a bolt-on neck, it's not like a violin or arch-top guitar that 'ages in' and sounds better when it's old.  Much more about the electronics.

Archived