No mwah, oh well! The Corvette saga

coyote-1

• Members

Spent some time over the past many days trying to get my Warwick Corvette Standard fretless 4, passive, to get some mwah. Went through the whole routine: eliminated neck relief, lowered the action, took the flats off and reinstalled roundwounds. So it does mwah, acoustically.... but through the pickups to the amp, it just does not come across. You hear a hint of it, but never that big open mwah that was so easy on the Ocean fretless**.

I've had folks recommend changing pups, adding active electronics, etc.

I ain't doing any of that. I'm just gonna put the flats back on, and live with it as is. Because even without the mwah, it is an awesome instrument. No point taking the chance and possibly messing it up. If I decide I want mwah that much, I'll just get a bass that does it. But there's been a benefit to the exercise: the bass, which played pretty nicely anyway, now plays effortlessly.

**Too bad there was so much wrong - broken trussrod, broken and malfunctioning tuners, etc- with that Laguna Ocean fretless. It was neck thru, inexpensive and sounded great.

• Members

My Fretless Thumb has that sound but i recently played a Pedulla and it had crazy mwah and the only real difference i could see is that it had an apoxyed finger board. I liked the Pedulla but as it was so extreme it would get lost in a mix where as my Thumb sounds a lot tighter. I have nickel Fodera round wounds on my thumb and love it.

Just my 2c

Archived