Guitarist needs cheap bass amp - please recommend

Fireproof

• Members

Hey folks.

I am a guitarist, not a bass player, but I have a Squier Jaguar Bass for occasionally fooling around with, and a couple bass playing friends that come over to jam.

I'm looking for a good "bang for buck" type of bass amp just for practicing in the house.  But I don't know the first thing about bass rigs.  Certainly don't need anything fancy or especially loud.  Just looking for a decent combo (portability is a must) that will provide nice tone at a decent volume with no farting, buzzing, or rattling.

If there's a new combo you'd recommend in the $200-300 range, that would be great because I can get it right away.  Otherwise, if I need to shop used to get better piece of gear, I can start watching CL.

I was reading about the Fender Bronco 40, and it sounds like a bass equivalent of the Fender Mustang that many guitarists are raving about.  Any thoughts on that?  Anything else I should consider?

(By the way - music played will be anything from 70's to 90's, classic rock to hard rock).

• Members

I used to be in a similar situation. Mainly pmay guitar, with the occasional living room jams with buddies, playing he bass. Any decent guitar tube amp with enough clean head room will do the job, impo there's no reason to be picky about tone unless you're half serious about your music/band/project. In which case a set-up like mine wouldn't let you down, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune: Beat up ampeg 4x12 cab and old GK RBIII head. The tone is probably miles ahead of my skill level:) 

All the half decent combos I tried weigh a ton, and they're underpowered for jams/gigs with a loud drummer.

Edit: Nevermind, I overread the part about the portability and budget, so the head+cab suggestion isn't an option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

falseknight wrote:

Polytone?

I've played Polytone amps before and while they're small and sound ok at low volumes, they have a serious lack of headroom and are notoriously difficult to repair. I know several amp repair folks who will work on literally anything, but refuse to service Polytone because the elecronics inside are wrapped in fiberglass insulation that goes everywhere and is very itchy.

Archived