I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

l337 geeks can't cook. Everyone knows that.

I can too! mad.gif

Don't you know? 1337 geeks watch Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show as he's 1337 about his cooking. He tends to break things down scientifically which is kinda cool.

That and Iron Chef (original Japanese) is usually pretty big with geeks. Hell, Slashdot even had a poll on your favorite Iron Chef a while back wink.gif

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

I can too! mad.gif

Don't you know? 1337 geeks watch Alton Brown's "Good Eats" show as he's 1337 about his cooking. He tends to break things down scientifically which is kinda cool.

That and Iron Chef (original Japanese) is usually pretty big with geeks. Hell, Slashdot even had a poll on your favorite Iron Chef a while back wink.gif

No idea what Iron Chef is.

Was there a Good Eats show where he goes into all the various kinds of honey? I think I saw that one once.

But now I have no cable. Woo hoo! thumb.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

No idea what Iron Chef is.

Was there a Good Eats show where he goes into all the various kinds of honey? I think I saw that one once.

But now I have no cable. Woo hoo! thumb.gif

You've never seen Iron Chef!?!?!?

It's a Japanese cooking competition show. There are 4 Iron Chefs: Japanese, Chinese, French and Italia The chairman (host/creator) of the show choses challengers (either requesting them or getting requests). The challenger gets to chose his opponent for the battle.

From there, the chairman reveals the secret ingredient that must be used in all dishes made (usually a minimum of 3 dishes with up to 5 that I've seen). You get assistants, and plenty of other ingredients and supplies (top-notch stuff from world-class challengers here). You've also got only 1 hour to make all these dishes.

They get a panel + the chaiman to taste and rate the two chefs then claim the winner.

Good stuff.

They've now got "Iron Chef America" with a bunch of Food Network stars as the new Iron Chefs and Alton Brown as the commentator (excellent choice, too). The host lacks the flamboyance of the Japanese host (though I thought I heard that they're related). The Japanese host was known for his guady and/or flamboyant clothing. I guess he was also a pretty well-known actor in Japan before Iron Chef and used the money to help start the show since he had a passion for good food and wanted to sample lots of it.

As for Good Eats, different kinds of honey sounds like something right up Alton's alley.