I am the Thread Killer

T-40

• Members

Originally posted by Melanie

I am SO BORED!!

I'm off timetable today because year 9 have an "enterprise day" and, as I teach two year 9 classes, I've been chosen to supervise one of the groups. I'm not allowed to help with their tasks, I'm just here as the legally required adult. I was going to write my reports, but they're done online and the system is down, so I'm sitting here doing sweet FA.

Bored out of my brain!!

1. Leave classroom.

2. Walk down the hall to nearest English teacher's classroom.

3. "Borrow" 5 books you haven't read before.

4. Return to old classroom.

Oh, wait, you ARE the English teacher. biggrin.gif

• Members

Originally posted by ranjaman

It's arabic for LOL, I'm told biggrin.gif

I'm just starting to learn the alphabet (when I get time). It actually looks like it might be close to the English abbreviation, only I've never seen the middle loop - maybe they're directly using the "o" from English, because I don't think Arabic has "o" as a vowel. confused.gif

I also ordered a book on Gregg shorthand a couple days ago.

thumb.gif

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

I'm just starting to learn the alphabet (when I get time). It actually looks like it might be close to the English abbreviation, only I've never seen the middle loop - maybe they're directly using the "o" from English, because I don't think Arabic has "o" as a vowel. confused.gif

I also ordered a book on Gregg shorthand a couple days ago.

thumb.gif

Gonna jump into translating Arabic now?

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

Gonna jump into translating Arabic now?

Tee hee - no.

It takes a while to learn that language well enough just to read it reasonably coherently. smile.gif

Translating - at least, what I consider valid, knowledgeable, precise translation - almost always requires adequate time in country, speaking well enough to learn cultural values and idioms to back up what you see in print.

Then again, there are lots of bad translators out there. I'm just trying to avoid being one of them. biggrin.gif

• Members

Originally posted by niomosy

All your base are belong to us?

Someone set us up the bomb?

biggrin.gif

Exactly! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I have arms like a Greek god... tongue.gif

Btw, I found this at aikidofaq.com for your enlightenment wink.gif :

Despite what many people think or claim, there is no unified philosophy of Aikido. What there is, instead, is a disorganized and only partially coherent collection of religious, ethical, and metaphysical beliefs which are only more or less shared by Aikidoists, and which are either transmitted by word of mouth or found in scattered publications about Aikido.

Some examples: "Aikido is not a way to fight with or defeat enemies; it is a way to reconcile the world and make all human beings one family." "The essence of Aikido is the cultivation of ki [a vital force, internal power, mental/spiritual energy]." "The secret of Aikido is to become one with the universe." "Aikido is primarily a way to achieve physical and psychological self- mastery." "The body is the concrete unification of the physical and spiritual created by the universe." And so forth.

At the core of almost all philosophical interpretations of Aikido, however, we may identify at least two fundamental threads: (1) A commitment to peaceful resolution of conflict whenever possible. (2) A commitment to self-improvement through Aikido training.

If that helps reassure any misimpression I may have left earlier. I don't know how many students seriously/fully entertain the idea of becoming "one with the universe," as opposed to reducing conflict/violence and making your relationships with people and the environment much more harmonious/better. smile.gif

Heck, I've noticed our dojo spends very little time in the ritual of beginning and ending class with reverencing the "shomen" (picture of O-Sensei and other writings/things that sits in the most prominent place of the dojo).

We certainly don't sit around for minutes on end going "ommmm" (and worrying about Ed Grubermans). biggrin.gif

• Members

Originally posted by greenshag

looks like the crow has been on holiday!

still am...or sort of just getting that way

came out here to spain on the 28 may to help out my daughter on her birth..she got a caesarian on the 11 june so we needed to stay on a bit longer to help out etc

so we come back on the 3 july...a cracking good 5 weeks...and brilliant weather etc

tongue.gif

• Members

Originally posted by mrcrow

still am...or sort of just getting that way

came out here to spain on the 28 may to help out my daughter on her birth..she got a caesarian on the 11 june so we needed to stay on a bit longer to help out etc

so we come back on the 3 july...a cracking good 5 weeks...and brilliant weather etc

tongue.gif

Not to mention lots of Spanish wine and plenty of places for good paella and sangria mad.gifmad.gif

Glad you're having a good time, though thumb.gif