Covers you are doing that get the best reaction

worthyjoe

• Members

with all the hoopla about the new dukes of hazzard movie we played "just a good ole boys" and the crowd went nuts. we have been covering it ever since. it is a very easy song that you wont have to practice to get it right. i am from mississippi so our rednecks really enjoyed it especially from a rock band.

kevin james

www.monkeyboneband.com

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by worthyjoe

right now I have to say our hottest song is Mr. Brightside by the Killers. It's probably on the tail end of it's popularity but people freaking LOVE the song and I also love playing/singing it.

We also start and end a medley with 500 Miles by the Proclaimers and that seems to get peoples' attention (in a good way).

What are some others? Can be new songs or old.

I'd have to say Mr. Brightside by the Killers, a medley with 500 Miles by the Proclaimers, oh wait, I'm in your band.

• Members

Originally posted by Savage Jack

opps!... looks like i made someone mad, well... i suppose we all have to be good at something eh? roflmao!

No, you didn't make me mad. You just made an ignorant statement and backed it up with more ignorance. The fact that you don't see how your statements were offensive--especially given the title of the thread--really says something.

Try going a little more gently when you elect to piss on somebody else's thread. Otherwise, check out Open Jam.

Also, please reduce the size of your signature. Either condense it a little or put it in a smaller font (if you're unsure how to do this, let me know--I'll gladly help). Most of your posts have been about a third the length of your sig. There's really no need for that.

• Members

Originally posted by Savage Jack

worthyjoe,

how much money a band makes has little to do with what it plays and everything to do with how they play it, how they control an audience, their show, their musicianship, level of professionalism (ruthlessness of their manager *evil grin*) and so on. i've been in a few cover bands (lol, just a few) and this is my first original only band... and i can add up all the money i made in 9 cover bands in 20 years and it dont add up to what i made in the last 2 years with this all original UNSIGNED and independent band.

ok, a little luck, a whole lot of drive, an attitude, presence, a collective charisma (that one is a whole topic on itself!), focus and devotion is required too... not to mention good management: but that applies equally to cover bands as well.

...did i mention a little luck? lol! yeah that too

on another note... i cant believe how many times i see bands playing covers that absolutely do not suit or serve themselves... for instance... a band with a female lead singer playing stinkfist... her range didn't permit it, or a band with an baritone frontman playing ac/dc, ...he blew his throat out too and wasn't worth spit the rest of the night ... songs that require back vocals and no one in the band besides the frontman knows how to sing... that's an off key mess that happens all the time... or another band who just lost their lead player and their frontman, who played rhythem filled in for him... he was fine on the greenday songs but any band they covered that wasn't a 3 piece or had a badass solo in it... well, it was a noble effort *grin* (these all true stories happening in the last month and a half too).

choose your songs carefully... they have to serve the band well, choose songs that fit the abilities of all the musicians in the band... (this is especially important if you write originals too... write to the abilities of your musicians, not everyone can play like satriani) ...the weakest musician in your band usually determines the songs your band will pull off well ...or not.

tell me if this one sounds familiar... the band gets together for their first practice and the singer says... well i know this list of songs... the lead player has his list, the bassist his list and so on... then they just choose the songs that most of the band already knows and it's instant set list... no thought, no planning, they havent got a chance!

or this one... hey man, i want to do this song, someone else says well, if you want to do that one, then i want to do this one, the singer says, i cant do that one, it's out of my range, the lead player says, that's ok, i'll transpose it in a lower key...geezus!!... talk about a 3 humped camel! set list design by commitee is a disaster in the making. to quote my drummer "....man, that's all cracked out"

if you determine that your band is say for instance ...an 80's metal band... dont play freakin brown eyed girl! if your a classic rock band... dont be playing any death metal... set lists should be consistant with the bands agenda, billing and abilities all at once.

i read that huge post with the so called "set list to make you rich and famous" and my god! ...that's a show i'd definitely want to miss, ...i think i have a root canal scheduled for the day that band plays at my favorite watering hole! lol!! (to the author of that post, i dont mean disrespect... but that set list is definitely cracked out, quilted patchworks are fine for country venues i suppose but mixing classic rock, old pop & top 40's music, funk, disco and newer sounds is just confusing to an audience... and you cant build your band's identity or even a show around it... )

always remember first and foremost... the audience sees our job as one thing and one thing only.... we are to ENTERTAIN them, we are the backdrop to their evening of swill drinking, pool shooting and vain attempts to get laid...and we're not to bore them, confuse them, amuse them or even steal their girlfriends from them (well... forget that last one hehe!) add to that what your band's job really should be.... develop your following... consistancy in what you play will help... choose your songs wisely.

Apples to Oranges....

Money earned playing in original band -4 years $500 (approx)

Money earned 6 years playing in a cover band- $31, 600 (approximately)

I understand your point... however if all you say is true, the I believe you are probably the expection. And not to pass judgment but you've made more money in 2 years playing originals than 20 playing covers.... and you're not signed yet?!??! Not sure that even makes sense.

People choose to be in bands for different reasons. I've played in my share of great original bands... and enjoyed myself immensely. The last two I've played with a successful local cover band and made some good cash. I will always favor my original music.... but never denounce when I get paid to play in any situation.

• Members

With the blues band...

I would say that "All About My Girl" gets the most applause, mainly because it's a jazz swing/shuffle where I'm doing piano.

With Mind Sky...

I'd say definitely "The Big Puzzle' by The Flower Kings, lots of peaks and valleys with an epic ending.

• Members

We are a 3 plus 1 band

Drums, Vox

Bass, Vox

Guitar, Vox

Vox

We do classic rock Best reactions lately:

Baba O'Riley

Gold Dust Woman (I use a nice Sitar Drone on that one)

Hands Off (Rory Gallagher)

Ball and Chain

When It's Love (Van Halen)

I'm Your Captian (Grand Funk)

• Members

In my bass band, the songs that got the most attention were the obvious ones:

Pour Some Sugar On Me

Livin on a Prayer

Sweet Child O Mine

whatever song came out that week, but then we could only play it for a few shows before it got tired.

• Members

The ones that get the most response from our audiences which have already been mentioned include:

Wonderful Tonight

Sweet Home Alabama

Gimme Three Steps

Mustang Sally

Brick House

Play that Funky Music

These songs also heat up the dance floor for us:

Friends in Low Places

Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)

For our third set we do a staggered intro thing where each member of the band comes up on stage, picks up their instrument and starts playing with whoever else is playing while our singer says a bunch of stuff to introduce them to the audience. I've always been the first to start (as I play rhythm guitar more than leads) and usually do some melodic wanking before sliding into a funky groove for the rest of the guys to play to. A few weeks ago, for the first time, I decided to start off with a slightly tamer version of Jimi's Star Spangled Banner with full on distortion and throwing in some of the more memorable catch phrases (like TAPS). Even though I left out the larger sections of noise, I expected to get a bunch of grief from the crowd since it was a small-town festival we were playing and there were a large number of senior citizens there, but to my surprise, as I started in I heard the whole crowd singing along and big cheers when I finished up. ...so that one's a definate keeper. :D

• Members

Originally posted by ratthedd

Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)

It's a total {censored}e song, but you're right about the audience reaction. I played in a band that did this for a while, and I couldn't believe how well-recieved this song was. It's total garbage!

The guy who took over for me in that band calls it "Write a Hit, Save a Braincell". :D

• Members

We are an originals band, but we do two full covers in our set: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt 1 (by the Flaming Lips) and Hem of Your Garment (by Cake)... Occasionally we'll do Big in Japan (by Tom Waits) considering it just plain speaks about our situation :cool:

We also throw little tiny bits of other songs into our own songs all over the place... I'm sure everyone else does this, but we generally do the same ones every time Those little bits are generally as follows (this is an example from a recent show):

1st Song: Ends with a medley of Anther Brick in the Wall pt 1 and Run Like Hell (this really gets the crowd going )

4th Song: This is a piano song- in the bridge we straight up start playing I Would Do Anything For Love, with me doing a great Meatloaf impressioon and full on harmony... Then at the end of the song we totally bring it back and do it again. All the girls {censored}ing love this, and the guys get a kick out of it.

5th Song: I tend to mangle the main riff of this song to make it sound like the riff from Weezer's Holiday. But only sometimes :D

8th Song: In the first two bars of the solo I quote the first two bars of Bohemian Rhapsody's second solo.

10th Song: In the solo, I pretty much exactly quote the Edge's solo in All I Want Is You. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when we actually record this song on our next album, because the Edge's solo here fits _so_ exactly it's silly.

12th Song: Our one and only funk song. During the break of this song, I'll quote any old rockin' song I can think of... Some crowd favourites are Bombtrack, Get Off, 1+1+1 = 3, Discotheque, Can't Stop, and my recent personal favourite, Black or White

So, I mean, there's basically a lot of quoting going on.. But I feel that's fair, and kind of fun. I mean, I absolutely love seeing a band (mostly famous ones, of course) just throw little bits in like that... Some may look at it critically, but I think it's a fun way to show everyone who your influences are and keep 'em guessing :cool:

• Members

Many probably already mentioned:

Son of a Preacher Man

Play That Funky Music

Me & Julio

Sugarpie Huneybunch

Mustang Sally

I Will Survive

At Last

Brown Eyed Girl

Superstition

December '63

Sweet Home Alabama

My Girl

Good Lovin'

Have I Told You Lately

You Shook Me All Night Long

Respect

Love Shack

I'm a Believer

Sweet Child O'Mine

American Girl

Mack The Knife

Just The Way You Look Tonight

Many more on my band's website:

www.the-RETURN.net

• Members

Originally posted by ratthedd

The ones that get the most response from our audiences which have already been mentioned include:

Wonderful Tonight

Sweet Home Alabama

Gimme Three Steps

Mustang Sally

Brick House

Play that Funky Music

These songs also heat up the dance floor for us:

Friends in Low Places

(figure who's been hiding unnoticed in the shadows steps into the light, sets an empty shot glass down, lights up a cigar)

Well, it's time for the ol' Tedster to chime in...I reckon'. I'm fighting a (probably) losing one man battle to eliminate, or at least severely limit, a lot of these songs from common band repertoire.

Now, before y'all get to buckin' and kickin'...I realize that's never going to happen. But here is as good a place as any to say, "Yup, the audience loves those songs, but what other songs could you play that the audience loved JUST as much, without them being totally worn out?"

In other words, I'm here to challenge those people who have a setlist full of these songs to relegate them to the back burner. Get creative with your setlists. Rather than "Gimme Three Steps" (which, c'mon, admit it, it's on your set list because when you put the band together, everyone ALREADY KNEW IT...), play "Saturday Night Special".

Songs I'd vote for elimination:

Turn The Page

Old Time Rock and Roll

Boot Scootin' Boogie

Proud Mary

Mustang Sally

Wonderful Tonight

Sweet Home

Margaritaville

Gimme Three Steps

House of the Rising Sun (yes, people still request that)

Wipeout (yes, people still request that one too)

Cocaine

Freebird

Long Train Running

Brown Eyed Girl

And a butt-ton of others.

Okay, I challenge those of you who play in bands that do any of these songs routinely...think of a song to replace one of these songs with. I've already given an example..."Saturday Night Special" rather than "Three Steps". And don't tell me that out of 35 years of rock and roll and country chart toppers you can't do it!!!!

Another ferinstance, what would happen if someone said "Play "Old Time Rock And Roll" and you all said "We don't do that one, but how about "Her Strut"?

A lot of times, it's the crowd that says "SEEEEEEGER!" and the band just plays "Old Time R&R"

• Members

I'm as sick as the next guy of Mustang Sally and Brown Eyed Girl. The thought of playing them yet again almost makes me want to retch. It's funny how I still enjoy playing them in front of a receptive crowd though!

We do try to choose some less "worn" covers. The following all work well:

Venus (I forget who wrote it...Bananarama had a hit with it in the 80s.

Let's Just Kiss and Say Goodbye - The Shi-Lites?

Puttin'On The Ritz - Irving Berlin cum Taco

Heroes - Bowie

Radio GaGa - Queen

Love Really Hurts Without You - Billy Ocean

Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - The Animals (or if you came of age in the disco era, Santa Esmeralda)

Rocket Man - Elton John

• Members

My band has been my full time job (200 shows a year) for nearly 16 years and I'm sure there are songs in our set list that we have played more often than the original artist. I'm sort of proud and sad at the same time.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I've got a suggestion for even a better response...when "some drunk redneck" yells "Freebird"...stop your current song immediately and start playing "Freebird". It's the easiest way to shut them up without the macho bullsh!t. Both of my bands are adding a shortened version of the song for this very reason.

Hahaha, that's great. The moment my band gets a good slide guitarist (or I quit being lazy and take the time to learn), we're adding it to our setlist.

• Members

Originally posted by Tedster

(figure who's been hiding unnoticed in the shadows steps into the light, sets an empty shot glass down, lights up a cigar)

Well, it's time for the ol' Tedster to chime in...I reckon'. I'm fighting a (probably) losing one man battle to eliminate, or at least severely limit, a lot of these songs from common band repertoire.

Now, before y'all get to buckin' and kickin'...I realize that's never going to happen. But here is as good a place as any to say, "Yup, the audience loves those songs, but what other songs could you play that the audience loved JUST as much, without them being totally worn out?"

In other words, I'm here to challenge those people who have a setlist full of these songs to relegate them to the back burner. Get creative with your setlists. Rather than "Gimme Three Steps" (which, c'mon, admit it, it's on your set list because when you put the band together, everyone ALREADY KNEW IT...), play "Saturday Night Special".

Songs I'd vote for elimination:

Turn The Page

Old Time Rock and Roll

Boot Scootin' Boogie

Proud Mary

Mustang Sally

Wonderful Tonight

Sweet Home

Margaritaville

Gimme Three Steps

House of the Rising Sun (yes, people still request that)

Wipeout (yes, people still request that one too)

Cocaine

Freebird

Long Train Running

Brown Eyed Girl

And a butt-ton of others.

Okay, I challenge those of you who play in bands that do any of these songs routinely...think of a song to replace one of these songs with. I've already given an example..."Saturday Night Special" rather than "Three Steps". And don't tell me that out of 35 years of rock and roll and country chart toppers you can't do it!!!!

Another ferinstance, what would happen if someone said "Play "Old Time Rock And Roll" and you all said "We don't do that one, but how about "Her Strut"?

A lot of times, it's the crowd that says "SEEEEEEGER!" and the band just plays "Old Time R&R"

You're not the only one fighting that losing battle. Every time my band starts talking about what songs to add to the list I keep suggesting that we do the lesser known songs from popular bands and we end up adding the overplayed stuff anyway.

This same argument is being discussed in the Live Suond and Production forum under the thread title "What songs do you never want to hear again" or something along those lines. Mark (audiopile) makes a good argument that the reason we (soundmen and musicians) hate these songs is because we've heard them too damned often and the reason we've all heard them too damned often is because that's what people want/expect the band to play.

You're absolutely right that "Her Strut" would be a lot more fun to play than "OT RnR", but when it's all done and said, when someone in the crowd wants to hear a Seger tune it's either "Turn the Page" or "OT RnR" and damn-you if you play "Hollywood Nights" or "Night Moves" instead.

The only other option is to take the lyrics from the popular songs and sing them to a different beat/melody arrangement. Joe Cocker's version of "Feelin' Alright" and Grand Funk Railroad's version of "Feelin' Alright" are both good but they definately don't sound like the same song. Take a fast song and make it slow or take a slowsong and make it fast, or intruduce a jazz beat to an old blues 4/4 beat--whatever it takes to make the audience think they remember the song from way back when but it's still fresh enough to make them want to come back and hear it again.

Archived