Killing Band Members

doctorno

• Members

Originally posted by Percy

On Dec31/2002 about noon I started feeling a tad peekid and seein as my wife had just gotten over a major flu, I was worried as I had to play a Newyears gig in about 9 hours. I hit the bed and went to sleep, woke at 5 pm and started hurling like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Then I started with the diarea, I coulda crapped thu the eye of a needle at 40 paces Im sure. I took a drink of water and it took mabey a miniute and the water was squirtin outta my ass.

I packed up a barf bucket and some extra clothes(cause I was worried about {censored}ting my pants on stage) and headed off to the gig.

THe first two sets went well but Im sweating like a bastard and am scared to drink anything for the afformentioned reason(s). Im shakin like a dog {censored}ting razorbalades when its time to go up for the BIGGASS Newyears thing(3rd set). AS Im bolting on my highdollar strat, the room starts to spin and and within a second I do a faceplant, Strat and all, right into Tony's Ayotte drums. Im out like an old woman, playin paddycake with the stage. Dint {censored} mysef, thank god, but the abulance came yaddayadda, I woke up in the hospital, I was dehydrated and some other {censored} too.

On the positive, a freind of mine, Byron Mikkaloff was in the audience(his band ONE TON from Quebec has/had a CD on the pop charts) filled in for me right off. Im still in the same band and the guys still ribb me alot about "passin out lika gurl"

With freinds like that, who needs enema's:D

I had a similar experience a few months back. I made the mistake of ordering a rather cheesy, milky dish off of the bar's menu about two hours before we played. About midway through second set, the food poisoning kicked in something awful. The band played about a dozen songs while I shat liquid fire on the can downstairs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

+1

There's a reason you never let the guitarist mix the album.

Terry D.

Does it ever occur to anybody that there is another breed of guitar players out there that don't have the stereotypical ego/volume/tuning/solo time issues? Seek them out. They (we) exist.

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

Does it ever occur to anybody that there is another breed of guitar players out there that don't have the stereotypical ego/volume/tuning/solo time issues? Seek them out. They (we) exist.

Nah - all drummers are stupid and all guitarists are ego-maniacs :rolleyes:

• Members

Actually, upon further consideration I think you may be right after all. Bow to my gloriousness.
:D

Yeh - I'm not quite sure what Terry D is getting at. Why'd you want to 'mix' a song when you only need the lead guitar track in it anyway? All the other instruments are gay and can go to hell!!! :D

• Members

I was playing with one for a while. Then he picked up a heroin habit. :( The only ones I've met since only want to be in a 2 person band with themselves and a drummer. :(

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

There's a reason you never let the guitarist mix the album.

Hey! I resemble that remark. :D

In all seriousness, being both a guitarist and engineer I DO mix our band's stuff... and if anything I might be a little too conscious about that, I've had people tell me I should turn the guitars UP... LOL.

But then again, we don't have a dumb drummer either. I guess we break ALL the stereotypes. :D

• Members

I still have my doubts as to whether you really do play guitar Lee, I don't recall you ever even once referring to me or anyone else as 'DUDE!' :D

I think my band found the solution to the problem of borrowing equipment off the soundman of him being too expensive. We got one playing in the band, voila, van full of gear at every rehearsal and gig and someone that knows how to set it up!

Shame, he spends more time doing that that practicing sometimes tho :mad::D

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

I hate it when a guitar player feels that he is the only instrument that needs to be heard, during a song he will go to his amp and crank it up to 11.
:mad:

I hate it when all those other pesky band members won't let my glorious dulcet guitar tones come ringing through. They alwyas have to muddy the mix up with all these other inconsequential instruments!

• Members

Originally posted by Base

I still have my doubts as to whether you really do play guitar Lee, I don't recall you ever even once referring to me or anyone else as 'DUDE!'

Dude, I have like so totally done that before. You must've missed it. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Crustycabs

I hate it when all those other pesky band members won't let my glorious dulcet guitar tones come ringing through. They alwyas have to muddy the mix up with all these other inconsequential instruments!

Yeah, my bassist has this thinking that his instrument should be heard?!?!! WTF, who wants to hear the freaking bass?

• Members

Originally posted by Crustycabs

Switch out "dulcet guitar tones" with "thundering percussive hits" and I would swear you were our drummer...:(

• Moderators

Originally posted by Lee Flier

In all seriousness, being both a guitarist and engineer I DO mix our band's stuff... and if anything I might be a little too conscious about that, I've had people tell me I should turn the guitars UP... LOL.

Me too.

My procedure is I mix the track until everything sounds about right to me, then turn the guitars down a couple dB.

;)

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by Hardtailed

Yeah, my bassist has this thinking that his instrument should be heard?!?!! WTF, who wants to hear the freaking bass?

I'm with ya bro!! Count yourself lucky - I have the same problem with my vocalist AND my bassist!!

• Members

Well, only the latest one comes to mind...

...played back in February at a honky tonk, did OK. Guitarist/singer was pissed at me before hand about something; he drank and drank and drank all night and got pissier.

At the end of the night they took a $10 bar tab off the top of our guarantee and he got up in the (much bigger and younger) bartender's face about it. I was so fed up with his {censored} I just stood back and watched, figured if the bartender lowered the boom I'd just let it happen.

We got barred from playing there again, and when I confronted him about it he tried to shift the blame onto me.

Asshole.

• Moderators

I've thought about throwing out picks, but with the goal of trying to land them in people's drinks. Is this wrong of me?

It's best if you light them first. The little tortoiseshell Fender Thins are amazing. They burn so rapidly they never even reach the crowd.

Well, usually they don't. :o

Terry D.

Archived