blues/rock

lazaraga

• Members

Originally posted by Roy Brooks

You heard of a band called Buford & Smokin Section? They play up around Rochester sometimes at the Dinosaur Barbeque. Buford lives near Rochester. Although I live in South Carolina I played several gigs with them up that way in 1999.

Oh yeah... I know those guys. Buford sat in with us on numerous occasions.

• Members
Originally posted by superiorparts

i live in the heart of the mississippi delta. i live 24 miles from highway 61, 20 miles from bb king hometown of indianola, 15 miles from robert johnsons grave memorial in sidon(yes there is another in money, ms), ive played at ground zero blues club(owned by morgan freeman) bunches of times, played at 308 blues club in indianola, i know super chickan, paul wine jones, and countless other blues artist. two of my band mates live in clarksdale(where 61 meets 49 or crossroads). we play nothing but rock music. you can take the best blues act in our area and play any club you want and you might get 25 people there. a good rock band will pack the house. i dont think the youth give a rat's ass about the blues. they say that blues come from african americans, well they dont give a {censored} either. they dont go to the shows. the black youth would rather listen to crap or rap than any blues artist. i have a lot a friends that are deep rooted in the blues and i hate it for them. you had better do it because you love it because the money aint there. i personally don't care much for the blues but i do believe it has its place. morgan freeman has tried real hard to promote the blues. we can't play his club ground zero anymore because we dont do any blues but if we did we would draw 10 times the crowd the blues act will. his club is strictly a blues club, thats what he wants, thats what he gets. i know there is a bigger market somewhere for the blues but it sure is sad that it is not here. i had a friend with me and we went through sidon and i showed him the robert johnson memorial. he didnt know who robert johnson was. what a shame. the youth today.

kevin james

www.monkeyboneband.com

I believe that is the saddest post I have ever read.

• Moderators
Originally posted by santos

a thriving blues scene.

Now there is a 21st Century oxymoron...:(

I play in a blues/R&B/swing/Jump combo, covering music from the late 1920s through the early 70s, plus originals. We are generally overlooked in our market by the blues promoters because we are 1) not a 'fronted' band (we are not the Joe Blowjob Blues Band or Dick Head and the Semen Squirters...:rolleyes: ), 2) we are not 'guitar dominated' (I'm not the second coming of SRV/Jimi/Clapton/whoever) and 30 we have 3 lead vocalists who rotate throughtout each set.

That said, when people do hear us, they almost immediately realize that we are 1) having fun 2) pretty good at being entertaining 3) not boring/monotonous 4) worth rebooking. For instance, the first time we played BB King's Hollywood, we were rebooked as a regular Saturday opener before we hit dressing room after our set.

Other local blues bands ask where we are playing, mainly to steal material from us ;) , since we are very eclectic, from Cab Calloway to Nat Cole, from Louis Jordan to Louis Armstrong, Muddy, Wolf, T-bone, the 3 Kings, Booker T and the MGs, James Brown, Sam and Dave...and we intentionally avoid the standard blues covers that most bands do, or we go back to the original source material rather than cover a cover, so we get a fresher take.

There are unfortunately only a few viable blues clubs left in the Los Angeles area that can pay us what we expect, and they are too busy booking the fronted bands and the touring acts...so we do private/corporate work, fairs, general arts festivals...

It is a sad state of affairs that one of America's indigenous art forms has been relegated to the back corner of the shed because no one understands its true nature...:cry:

• Members

The only blues club where I live is a club owned by the leader of the band that plays there. They are not very good but worth the listen just to see just how bad they can be, in a performance art kind of way.
There are other clubs in town that will occasionally have a blues band. But most blues bands around here do most of their playing around the time of the blues festival. Some play private parties for the more well to do blues fans.

I'm a guitar player and have played quite a bit of blues in my time. Though pretty much all my blues heroes had done a majority of their recording before about 1955, with the exception of maybe Don Van Vliet and Fred McDowell. Though I do dig some of the Mississippi hill country blues.

• Members

Join the WBS. There's blues all over this town. Been to the "Cool Joint" many times and a close friend plays keys down there on Monday night OJ's.

I work 7 blocks from the 99, but live one county north. Lots of cool blues up north too.

I'll PM you.

• Members

All things considered, although blues/rock may not be my preferred listening I have found that it is one of the few subgenres of music that does allow for alot of improvisation. And improvisation is one of the things I most enjoy about music.

• Members
Originally posted by Jon Doe

Join the WBS. There's blues all over this town. Been to the "Cool Joint" many times and a close friend plays keys down there on Monday night OJ's.

I work 7 blocks from the 99, but live one county north. Lots of cool blues up north too.

I'll PM you.

Have you heard anything about Fat James lately? I know his health was bad. Last time I played the Wild Buffalo in Bellingham he came to see me and I invited him to play, but he was hurting too bad to get on stage. :(

I also know Nick Vigarino as an acquaintance (we've done a few festivals together) and I know Jude Bowerman pretty well and have played with him and done a lot of shows together.

• Members

I know Fat James had some surgery, and the last time I talked with Buck Ireland he said james was getting better. He had Lap Band surgery as I understand it and may be shopping around for a new name. Don't quote me on this, as it's just rumour. I'll ask around again on tuesday night.

It's been a while since I saw Nick. Another mind blowing guitar player.

I sail out of Bellingham Bay and usually will go up a night early to catch an evening at The Wild Buffalo HOM then sleep on the boat. Lots of good jams in that town.

We'll have to get together sometime.

Archived