They say that...

• Moderators
Originally posted by Lee Flier

But... I guess I took the opposite approach from Terry after having been through (it sounds like) a lot of similar experiences and being really burned by it. I decided I wasn't going to play in a band again until I
really
found the right people to play with who were on the same page. And lord knows it was a long wait, but worth it. "Band" definitely means different things to different people and it's good to sit down with yourself and ask yourself what you really want out of a band.

Don't think that I don't want what you have, it would be wonderful to play with people who are really into it and good friends and all that. I'm happy for you if you found that.

I've just lowered my expectations. All I want out of a band now is basically for them to show up and play the tunes with reasonable proficiency. I'm happy to pay them for that. Sometimes I lose a little money paying them as employees, since I have to suck it up when the door comes up short, but that's the cost of being in charge.

Now Julie / Pebblestar is a different matter. We're friends and partners, hopefully in this together for the long run. At some point, if everything goes according to plan, we'll expand our little record label to add a few other bands. I used to run a small label back in the 80's, I just had to let that go along with a lot of other things when I got married and resumed the full time day job thing.

I'm looking forward very much to being retired at the end of this month. :)

Terry D.

• Members

Well I say as long as people are willing to pay to see them and they're enjoying themselves, who cares? Nobody's holding a gun to my hand and forcing me to buy a ticket... which is a good thing as I can't afford what they charge for tickets anyway. :rolleyes:

• CMS Author

Yeah, for me too. Not at all a judgement on anybody else if it works for you, but wouldn't want to be a band leader and pay people to play for me.

Definitely, having a leader and hired guns makes a lot of things easier, like I said. And money is a good incentive to keep people from quitting for stupid reasons.

But... I guess I took the opposite approach from Terry after having been through (it sounds like) a lot of similar experiences and being really burned by it. I decided I wasn't going to play in a band again until I
really
found the right people to play with who were on the same page. And lord knows it was a long wait, but worth it. "Band" definitely means different things to different people and it's good to sit down with yourself and ask yourself what you really want out of a band.

It boils down to one simple thing....you're either a hobbyist, or this is your vocation. If you intend to make money with your music, you stand a much better chance of success if you take a businesslike approach than if you continue to pursue ideals and morals. For sure, there are a select few (very few) individuals whose talents are so great that they can ride them to the top without compromise. For mere mortals, it's a job and has to be approached as one.

I chuckle a bit when I hear people talk about how the music business is 'so cut-throat', etc. Wake-up call: all business is cut-throat. If money, power and fame are involved, you can bet people will walk over their grandmothers to get as much as possible.

Terry, great monologue. It should be made sticky in this forum.

• Moderators

Best of luck with that Terry, I hope it goes well!

Thanks!

Best of luck to you as well.

You're actually pretty cool, though probably someone has already brought that to your attention.

;)

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

It boils down to one simple thing....you're either a hobbyist, or this is your vocation. If you intend to make money with your music, you stand a much better chance of success if you take a businesslike approach than if you continue to pursue ideals and morals.

I dunno if I would quite put it that way. I don't think any of those things are mutually exclusive. One can have a businesslike approach and yet still feel that to achieve creatively something that you feel has a chance to succeed, you have to have certain artistic ideals. I wouldn't classify that as a "hobbyist" necessarily but someone who has long term business goals rather than short term, and may be working other jobs in the meantime, much as with any other "startup business" that has a longer return on investment.

If your goal is to earn money playing gigs or doing sessions, which is definitely an easier/more reliable way to make money in the short term, then you'd have a different set of priorities.

Archived