Drug problems in the 'scene'

• Members

My band had not played out in our 'scene' for about 3 months (writing break). At that time, the cocaine was all ready really starting to show its ugly self in a 'social' aspect (if there is such a thing) in a lot of the local bands that we play with and are 'bar' friends with. We played last weekend with 2 great local bands and a national. It was a great time

• Members

Originally posted by MrDOS

That sucks. I've actually noticed a decline in that sort of thing here in Colorado Springs. Maybe the geezers I hang out with are wising up!

:)

Yeah, I have always heard that the Springs had a pretty thick meth problem. Glad to hear it is subsiding there.

The sad part with it here is most of these cats are my age (mid 30's). Seems a little late to be getting such a nice habit.

But, I guess it is rock-n-roll right? :rolleyes:

• Members

Coke was bad in the 80's. Talkin about when dude shows up and the place empties out? Same {censored} then, same {censored} now I guess. And yes, some will end up in rehab or financial ruin but thats part of the in scene. Personally, I wouldn't sever ties with a friend because of it , I didn't then and some of those people are still my friends, we just grew up. All you can do is either stay away from places like that or just keep your own self clean if thats what you want to do.

• Members

Originally posted by axe2 2001

Personally, I wouldn't sever ties with a friend because of it , I didn't then and some of those people are still my friends, we just grew up. All you can do is either stay away from places like that or just keep your own self clean if thats what you want to do.

+1000

• Members

Oh boy have I been there, and it really is an awful feeling... just feeling helpless watching your friends totally screw up their lives and become unbearable to be around. Yeah I'm one of those who experienced that in the 80's, and it sucks even thinking about it. :(

I guess the only positive thing I can really say is that at least, eventually, everybody outgrew it and cleaned up. The ones who didn't die, anyway. So, even though right now it probably seems pretty hopeless that any of these people will ever get their {censored} together, some of them will. And you should make your position clear to them so they will know they can turn to you when they finally acknowledge they need help. Some addicts don't know where to turn for help because it seems everyone around them is either another addict or they think they're "too cool" to discuss getting clean... and it's then that what may have seemed like harsh words from you at the time become a lifeline.

Hang in there. :(

• Members

Originally posted by dmtnt

+1000

Axe, I think that came out of my fingers all wrong and I was worked up. I will never (and have never) left a friend in need, or what have you. But, being a family guy now I also can not have people doing drugs around my kid, etc. I am still friends with them when we are out and they can come over to my house and be social anytime they want....as long as they leave their blow at their house.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Oh boy have I been there, and it really is an awful feeling... just feeling helpless watching your friends totally screw up their lives and become unbearable to be around. Yeah I'm one of those who experienced that in the 80's, and it sucks even thinking about it.
:(

I guess the only positive thing I can really say is that at least, eventually, everybody outgrew it and cleaned up. The ones who didn't die, anyway. So, even though right now it probably seems pretty hopeless that any of these people will ever get their {censored} together, some of them will. And you should make your position clear to them so they will know they can turn to you when they finally acknowledge they need help. Some addicts don't know where to turn for help because it seems everyone around them is either another addict or they think they're "too cool" to discuss getting clean... and it's then that what may have seemed like harsh words from you at the time become a lifeline.

Hang in there.

Great advice...all around.

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Oh boy have I been there, and it really is an awful feeling... just feeling helpless watching your friends totally screw up their lives and become unbearable to be around. Yeah I'm one of those who experienced that in the 80's, and it sucks even thinking about it.

Hang in there.

Word!

• Members

Wow, I was there in the 80's and saw it happen to so many people. I guess these things just repeat themselves. It got really bad in the mid 80's when it turned from lines of coke to hitting the pipe. People went down a whole lot faster after that.

The lucky people learn from their mistakes and move on.

Archived