Nifty new "tip jar"...

• Members

At a local (chain) restaurant, they serve one drink in a large plastic glass that has flashing lights and a switch on the bottom to turn the lights on and off...my niece brought one to me a few days ago and told me that she thinks it will make me an excellent "easy-for-the-patrons-to-find" tip-jar, so I'm going to use it in place of my regular one (a quart-sized brandy snifter) and we'll see how it works.

The venue I'm performing at tonight (The Four Star Coffee Bar) usually generates about $25-30 in tips, on the average...will report back in the morning! :)

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

At a local (chain) restaurant, they serve one drink in a large plastic glass that has flashing lights and a switch on the bottom to turn the lights on and off...my niece brought one to me a few days ago and told me that she thinks it will make me an excellent "easy-for-the-patrons-to-find" tip-jar, so I'm going to use it in place of my regular one (a quart-sized brandy snifter) and we'll see how it works.

The venue I'm performing at tonight (
The Four Star Coffee Bar
) usually generates about $25-30 in tips, on the average...will report back in the morning!
:)

Do you have a ship's bell that you ring evevry time a patron drops a dollar in?

:D

• Members

Originally posted by wacopacco

we've been playing on the streets at the beach every thursday, right before a fireworks show, making TONS of tips. We've made more from tips in the last month, than we did a whole month at a club we used to play at.

Yeah, some nights the tip-jar'll render more "moolah" than my fee from the house...and there is a couple of places I play at a reduced rate (my "general minimum" is $60 for 2 hours) just because the patrons of these places ALWAYS tip well...usually over $100 an evening!

And there's usually CD/cassette/"shwag" sales...

Well, I made almost $60 in tips last night, so possibly the flashing lights may have been responsible (by attracting attention to my tip-jar), but there was a really packed house all during my two sets, as well...generally this place'll have about 3/4 of the tables filled (on an average night), but last night every table was filled and there were maybe 20 folks just standing around, so I'll have to do more gigs w/ this gimmick and see if it really makes much of a difference...or just amuses me!

Research marches on! :)

Originally posted by Crustycabs

Do you have a ship's bell that you ring evevry time a patron drops a dollar in?

:D

Cute idea! :D But, no, I just thank 'em politely! :)

• Members

at the edinburgh festival a coupla years ago there was two young kids playign classical violin with a little sign

it read money needed for: and they'd scribbled over playstation two and put violin lessons. was funny and sweet at the same time.

• Members

We usually make one or two references to the tip jar during a gig. The running gag is we'd like to say you're supporting a decadent rock and roll lifestyle, but in reality you're just paying for a babysitter back home.

One evening, for no good reason, we pulled in $165 in tips alone.

• Members

In reality how cheesy is it to have a tip jar at a gig?

I've toyed with the idea with my own cover band but we never really seem to agree whether or not it's worth it.

On one hand, we're getting paid by the bar owner already and they comp us drink (typically), but on the other hand they don't pay us huge amounts of money, we usually end up with about $40 each for 4 hours of playing.

• Members

A tip jar isn't cheesy at all! Of course, if you want to deprive yourself of this added income, by all means go ahead. There have been many nights where my band was playing for $100 (quite common in Austin clubs, that is, if you get paid at all!) and we pulled in $100 - $200 in tips, as well. Now, I'm no mathematician, but $300 split five ways is a heck of a lot more than $100 split five ways. Especially in Austin, a tip jar will help you in the event that the bar stiffs you that $100 (it happens all the time!).

What you're saying is the equivalent of saying, "I'm a waiter that's getting a paycheck, so I don't need folks to tip." I'm sorry, but pride don't pay the bills!

• Members

Originally posted by Rico Suave

WOW...clubs sure do pay crap now...

Things have changed.

In many places the legal drinking age has risen to 21, keeping some younger folks from clubbing.

Liquor license costs are rising in many areas as local governments try to make up for federal cuts.

Guys like ASCAP are visiting clubs and noting whether or not they have bands that MIGHT cover some copyrighted material. If so, then the club has to pay a yearly fee, which reduces the incentive to have bands.

DJs are cheaper.

Plenty of jackasses want to do karaoke.

I do much better these days are private parties and just about any venue other than a bar or club.

• Members

Originally posted by Rico Suave

WOW...clubs sure do pay crap now...back in the 80's and early 90's when I was playing for a living our band wouldn't play for less than a grand a night...and yes, we got that and more and averaged 300+ nights a year.

And to think you quit that to become a trim-carpenter (who spends the biggest portion of every day looking for garbage to clutter up the Internet rather than work)! :D

• Members

Originally posted by zookie

Things have changed.

In many places the legal drinking age has risen to 21, keeping some younger folks from clubbing.

Liquor license costs are rising in many areas as local governments try to make up for federal cuts.

Guys like ASCAP are visiting clubs and noting whether or not they have bands that MIGHT cover some copyrighted material. If so, then the club has to pay a yearly fee, which reduces the incentive to have bands.

DJs are cheaper.

Plenty of jackasses want to do karaoke.

I do much better these days are private parties and just about any venue other than a bar or club.

Same here...bars/clubs have no reason to pay decent $$$ when there's plenty of folks who'll play for little money (or even free)...

Fortunately, there are lot's of other places to gig...or I might have to become a trim carpenter! :eek:;)

• Members
Originally posted by ratthedd

In reality how cheesy is it to have a tip jar at a gig?

Not even slightly...if you go to the very finest restaurant with a pianist supplying background music, you'll ALWAYS see a brandy snifter filled with greenery atop the grand piano...it's just part of the reality of performing.

The only exception is private parties and wedding receptions...that sort of thing.

I've toyed with the idea with my own cover band but we never really seem to agree whether or not it's worth it.

The extra $$$ is always worth it! Don't you need to buy guitar strings, picks, replace speakers....eat?

As Brother Nighthawkdude correctly points out, "What you're saying is the equivalent of saying, "I'm a waiter that's getting a paycheck, so I don't need folks to tip." I'm sorry, but pride don't pay the bills!"

On one hand, we're getting paid by the bar owner already and they comp us drink (typically), but on the other hand they don't pay us huge amounts of money, we usually end up with about $40 each for 4 hours of playing.

Trust me....a tip-jar will DEFINITELY help you guys (no knocking to your band, you understand), as y'all are making less $$$ than most on us older giggers were making 30 years ago (typically, $50 a night per man, at the minimum)...and the cost of living is QUITE A BIT higher these days!

There's no shame in letting folks show you that they like you in a TANGIBLE manner!
:)

• Members

Whoa, wait a minute.

I was under the impression that copyright laws allow bands to cover other people's material in live settings without having to pay royalties and royalties only start comign in to play if the band uses copyrighted material on recordings or broadcasting (TV, radio).

Aer there any lawyers here who can confirm or deny that? Krashpad?

• Members

Whoa, wait a minute.

I was under the impression that copyright laws allow bands to cover other people's material in live settings without having to pay royalties and royalties only start comign in to play if the band uses copyrighted material on recordings or broadcasting (TV, radio).

Aer there any lawyers here who can confirm or deny that? Krashpad?

ASCAP/BMI/SECA require that the venue owner/management pay a yearly "license" for live music, so that the songwriter's rights are protected.

It's been known to happen that they sometimes lead to a given venue replacing live music with a large-screen TV, though!

• Members

ASCAP/BMI/SECA require that the venue owner/management pay a yearly "license" for live music, so that the songwriter's rights are protected.

Are you serious!? That's ridiculous.

I doubt any of the local bars in my area pay that.

• Members

It's been known to happen that they sometimes lead to a given venue replacing live music with a large-screen TV, though!

Wasn't there a case recently in which the Girl Scouts were sued for copyright infringement at their campfire singalongs?

• Members

Are you serious!? That's ridiculous.

I doubt any of the local bars in my area pay that.

I've often wondered what would happen if a venue didn't give in and pay...one restaurant that I performed at every other Saturday (for 3 years) got a visit and stopped using live music as a result.

Here's what I found:

Although the law has been on the books since 1909, ASCAP began notifying large music users, such as hotels, only a little over a decade ago and more recently has worked its way down to small users, such as rodeos and funeral homes. This year, it negotiated a reduced annual fee of $257 with camps enrolled in the American Camping Association. For camps, such as Diablo, that aren't association members, the fees range from $ 308 to $ 1,439 a year.

Penalties for noncompliance can be stiff. The law sets fines up to $ 25,000 or a year in prison, or both, for major infingements. ASCAP, which sends monitors around the country, has successfully sued restaurants, retailers and private clubs. While the law hasn't been tested on camps, copyright lawyers say that even little girls would lose.

Not really sure how their strong-arm tactics were helping my songwriter rights, though (I'm a member of BMI)...

Wasn't there a case recently in which the Girl Scouts were sued for copyright infringement at their campfire singalongs?

Hadn't heard about that, but it wouldn't surprise me much...

(After Googling) Damn...:eek:

Here's ASCAP (and presumably BMI/SESAC) 's take on it:

"If you make an exception for the Girl Scouts, you could set a practical precedent," says Russell Frackman, a copyright lawyer. "You give the impression that a particular use is not an infringement, and that can be used against you in the future."

http://www.s-t.com/daily/08-96/08-23-96/b02li056.htm

• Members

Thanks for the props, Terry!

The reality of gigging these days (especially in saturated markets like Austin, Nashville, or LA), is that for every band that refuses to play for peanuts, there's hundreds of bands who will take your slot in a heartbeat (and will sometimes even be willing to pay the bar for the privilege!). Club owners know this and use it against you.

As a club owner in Austin, if you aren't paying ASCAP or BMI, you aren't in business. The risk is too great. That's why they either cough up the dough or hire a DJ. Some clubs do the "original music only" thing to keep from paying, but that also gives them additional opportunity to stiff the bands ("you didn't draw as much as I would have liked" or "The bar sales were really light; sorry!").

All this said, you can do pretty well playing corporate gigs and parties in the surrounding area. My band has done some pretty lucrative gigs for Dell, Applied Materials, Intel, and Marriott. Also, in Austin you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bad metal band or a lesbian singer-songwriter, so if you don't fall into either of those categories, you can do okay.

Welcome to the glamorous and exciting world of the starving musician!

• Members

Originally posted by pink floyd cramer

I duct-tape a plastic beer pitcher to the top of my head and encourage the patrons to fold their bills into paper airplanes and "sail" them in. This leads to amusing contortions on my part to get under the errant throws, which adds to my stage show.

Well, seeing as nobody has beat me to the punchline...

:):D;)That's REALLY using your head, Floyd! ;):D:)

• Members

I keep a watchful eye on my money the way a dingo keeps a watchful eye on a toddler!

I'd rather have a good time and not have to worry about things like that than watch over a tip jar that likely no one would donate to.

Archived