Medleys

worthyjoe

• Members

Theres an area band around here that plays virtually an entire set as a continuous medley (each set they do is like this). Keeps the dance floor going and alot of people enjoy it because "they play more songs in a night than other bands", lol.

FASTPLANT- Just checked out your tunes, you guys are great!

• Members

Originally posted by e-b-e

Theres an area band around here that plays virtually an entire set as a continuous medley (each set they do is like this). Keeps the dance floor going and alot of people enjoy it because "they play more songs in a night than other bands", lol.

FASTPLANT- Just checked out your tunes, you guys are great!

Thanks!

• Members

We do a couple but we play the majority of each song and just string them together.

Long Cool Woman-Hollies/Memphis-Johnny Rivers/Green River-Creedence/A short Susie Q-Creedence

Hands to Yourself-Georgia Satellites/Fire Down Below-Bob Seger/Jailhouse Rock-Elvis

• Members

Originally posted by JBJ

I'm working on how to incorporate kaiser chiefs i predict a riot into the Clash's i fought the law too.

Please forgive me JBJ for using your post to make a point:

It drives me crazy when people do covers of their favorite bands' covers, and introduce the song giving the cover artist the credit. For example, calling I fought the law a "Clash" song. Isn't it an Eddie Cochran song?

Saw an 80s hair metal band do Can't Explain (Who song) and introduce it by saying they were about to do a Scorpions song???

Or bands that play crappy Nashville country and introduce the song as a "Tim McGraw" song, etc. No, that's a Bruce Robison song, or a yadda yadda song.

As musicians shouldn't we take the time to give the right artist the credit when we do their songs?

• Members

not particularly creative, but I'm trying to work out a medley between "Don't Look back in Anger" and "Imagine" for my acoustic set. I'm trying to go back and forth a couple of times, not as easy as I thought....

Anyone have acoustic/solo medleys?

• Members

Originally posted by emdub123

not particularly creative, but I'm trying to work out a medley between "Don't Look back in Anger" and "Imagine" for my acoustic set. I'm trying to go back and forth a couple of times, not as easy as I thought....

Anyone have acoustic/solo medleys?

worthyjoe has a few he does when he does solo shows. But, alas, he's doing a solo show right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by emdub123

Please forgive me JBJ for using your post to make a point:

It drives me crazy when people do covers of their favorite bands' covers, and introduce the song giving the cover artist the credit. For example, calling I fought the law a "Clash" song. Isn't it an Eddie Cochran song?

Saw an 80s hair metal band do Can't Explain (Who song) and introduce it by saying they were about to do a Scorpions song???

Or bands that play crappy Nashville country and introduce the song as a "Tim McGraw" song, etc. No, that's a Bruce Robison song, or a yadda yadda song.

As musicians shouldn't we take the time to give the right artist the credit when we do their songs?

not at all mate it's just that the clash version is what we know and pretty much how we play it. i've not even heard the cochrane version to be honest.

it's just like if we were to do somethign in the air it'd follow the tom petty version instead of thunderclap newmans so we'd refer to it as tom pettys....

as for the imagine into dont look back in anger I'm soooooooo stealing that one emdub :o:D

• Members

We do the Ataris version of "Boys of Summer" although I try to make my solo sound like Danny Kortchmar Meets the Ataris. And we do a lot of updated versions of old Motown, etc. that basically sound like a bunch of white guys doing rock and roll versions of old soul tunes.

But yeah...people get weirded out if you "source" it wrong -- so we just don't say "Here's a Stones song" or whatever. Fortunately, our lead singer has found better stuff to say, so he's not caught up in the "here's this, here's that, that was from so and so" crappola. Nobody needs a cover band to educate them or make 'em feel smart/stoopit/whatever.

Tell you the truth -- most of the crowd at our Sat. gig probably didn't know Boys of Summer was a Don Henley tune. Why sound old and/or stoopit by saying so?

...and I could have won a few bar bets from guys who were sure the original was an Eagles record.

• Members

Not being someone who plays in a cover band, I have to post as a listener.
I HATE medleys.
There is more to a song than a hook, and while I realize the cover/party band set has to keep people dancing and drinking in order to keep playing, I don't think that chopping up a bunch of songs is the only (or best) way to accomplish that. Once they've had a few drinks in them, all 99% of people need to keep dancing is a 4/4 drum beat and a bassline. Hearing hook after hook may make them grin and sing along, but IMO it's a bit of a cheap trick.
Just my opinion as a musician.

• Members
Originally posted by Tights

I'm thinking of doing a medley with George Baker Selection's "Little Green Bag." What songs might work with that?

Odd choice...I haven't heard that song in ages. That song hearkens back to the AM radio days of my youth. Matter of fact, I was really surprised it made it on the air with it's ganja-related message back then :D. If you really wanted to do that song, you might consider other tunes that were out at that time that would fit. A whole "Summer of 1970 AM radio revue"...include some Guess Who, Vanity Fair (Hitchin' a Ride)...stuff like that.

I always thought that that song sounded like a song Tom Jones should have recorded but passed on...

• Members

Originally posted by worthyjoe

Do a lot of you incorporate medleys into your sets? For whatever reason I was never interested in them until recently and now I love them. It's perfect for songs with popular "hooks" but not necessarily songs people want to hear start to finish. It's also great for songs your band just doesn't feel like playing start to finish, or the bridge or whatever.

thoughts?

medleys would be perfect to throw a bunch of, say, metallica {censored} at a crowd cause everythings in the same key and all ya gots ta do is play a few instantly recognizable riffs....

• Members

Good grief...this is too much fun. I grew up in the Detroit area listening to CKLW in the early 70s. Little Green Bag did indeed hit in 1970, and ended up on CKLW's "Top 100" of 1970 at number 22!

Notice the song at number 47 "God, Love and Rock and Roll" by Teegarden and Van Winkle. Bob Seger's backup band from the early days...Dave Teegarden and Skip Van Winkle (Lee, if you're reading this, you know Skip)...

Here's the list for all you nostalgia buffs...

Or go here...http://www.thebig8.net/lists.html

CKLW TOP 100 OF 1970
"THE TOP 100 OF 1970 HAVE BEEN COMPILED FROM CKLW'S SURVEY OF SALES AND LISTENERS (sic) REQUESTS"

This is copied from the CKLW list, issued in the same flip-up format as the Big 30 lists of that time. All titles and artists were in all capital letters.

1. I'll Be There, Jackson 5
2. Love on a Two-Way Street, The Moments
3. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon & Garfunkel
4. Spirit in the Sky, Norman Greenbaum
5. Ooh Child, Five Stairsteps
6. Venus, Shocking Blue
7. Close to You, The Carpenters
8. Lookin' Out My Back Door, Creedence Clearwater Revival
9. Let It Be, The Beatles
10. Signed, Sealed, Delivered, Stevie Wonder
11. A) Everybody Is a Star
B) Thank You, Sly & the Family Stone
12. Ball of Confusion, Temptations
13. I Think I Love You, The Partridge Family
14. The Tears of a Clown, Smokey Robinson & Miracles
15. One Less Bell to Answer, Fifth Dimension
16. Lola, The Kinks
17. War, Edwin Starr
18. ABC, Jackson 5
19. Cracklin' Rosie, Neil Diamond
20. Somebody's Been Sleeping, 100 Proof
21. Rainy Night in Georgia, Brook Benton
22. Little Green Bag, George Baker Selection
23. In the Summertime, Mungo Jerry
24. Ain't No Mountain High Enough, Diana Ross
25. My Sweet Lord, George Harrison
26. Give Me Just a Little More Time, Chairmen of the Board
27. I Got a Thing, You Got a Thing Everybody's Got a Thing, The Funkadelic
28. Cecilia, Simon & Garfunkel
29. Fire and Rain, James Taylor
30. Mama Told Me, Three Dog Night
31. Hitchin' a Ride, Vanity Fare
32. Up Around the Bend, Creedence Clearwater Revival
33. Long and Winding Road, The Beatles
34. Spill the Wine, Eric Burdon & War
35. I Want You Back, Jackson 5
36. Don't Cry Daddy, Elvis Presley
37. Turn Back the Hands of Time, Tyrone Davis
38. Ma Belle Amie, The Tee Set
39. Let's Work Together, Wilbert Harrison
40. Love Land, Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
41. If I Were Your Woman, Gladys Knight & the Pips
42. Why Can't I Can't Touch You, Ronnie Dyson
43. If You Were Mine, Ray Charles
44. Gimme Dat Ding, The Pipkins
45. Indiana Wants Me, R. Dean Taylor
46. Make It With You, Bread
47. God, Love and Rock and Roll, Teegarden & Van Winkle
48. He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother, The Hollies
49. Still Water, Four Tops
50. Don't Play That Song, Aretha Franklin
51. We've Only Just Begun, The Carpenters
52. Band of Gold, Freda Payne
53. Psychedelic Shack, Temptations
54. Which Way You Goin' Billy, Poppy Family
55. A) Who'll Stop the Rain
B) Travelin' Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival
56. Hey There Lonely Girl, Eddie Holman
57. That Same Old Feeling, Pickettywitch
58. The Bells, the Originals
59. It's a Shame, The Spinners
60. As the Years Go By, Mashmakhan
61. Engine #9, Wilson Pickett
62. Stoned Love, Supremes
63. The Love You Save, Jackson 5
64. Didn't I Blow Your Mind This Time, The Delfonics
65. Instant Karma, John Lennon
66. Love or Let Me Be Lonely, Friends of Distinction
67. Patches, Clarence Carter
68. All Right Now, The Free
69. That's Where I Went Wrong, Poppy Family
70. Express Yourself, Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
71. 5-10-15-20 (25-30 Years of Love), The Presidents
72. Green-Eyed Lady, Sugarloaf
73. Knock Three Times, Dawn
74. American Woman, The Guess Who
75. Maybe I'm Amazed, Paul McCartney
76. Kentucky Rain, Elvis Presley
77. Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes), Edison Lighthouse
78. Baby Take Me in Your Arms, Jefferson
79. What Is Truth, Johnny Cash
80. It's Impossible, Perry Como
81. Everything Is Beautiful, Ray Stevens
82. Shilo, Neil Diamond
83. Candida, Dawn
84. Do You See My Love, Jr. Walker & All Stars
85. The Wonder of You, Elvis Presley
86. Call Me, Aretha Franklin
87. Gypsy Woman, Brian Hyland
88. Stay Away From Me, Major Lance
89. He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother, Neil Diamond
90. Julie Do Ya Love Me, Bobby Sherman
91. Drop By My Place, Carl Carlton
92. Make Me Smile, Chicago
93. Early in the Morning, Vanity Fare
94. It's All in the Game, Four Tops
95. How About a Little Hand, The Boys in the Band
96. Arizona, Mark Lindsay
97. Ain't It Funky Now, James Brown
98. 25 or 6 to 4, Chicago
99. Black Magic Woman, Santana
100. Jingle Jangle, The Archies

• Members

My band is currently working on :

Take me out(franz ferdinand)->Another brick in the wall pt.2->another one bites the dust->take me out(reprise)

We plan on 3 danceable medleys strategically located amongst the regular bar stuff we do.at least 20 min per set danceable.people gotta sit sometime to order drinks eh?

Archived