songs for a highschool talent show

lillederhosen

• Members

Originally posted by lillederhosen

hey my band and i are looking for a well known song to do in your hs talent show were seniors and we never win because we always do unknown ( to the judge(s)) songs so were looking for something fun to play and to hear were concidering the house of the rising sun right now.

Seinors, huh?

Do Louie Louie......... :o

• Members

Who are the judges? Teachers? Students? Who?

You've got to decide...are you up there to win a talent show, or to show off your talent?

There's a difference. Keep in mind the rock and roll attitude, play stuff the AUDIENCE will dig...namely folks your age. Let the prom queen/cheerleader singing "My Heart Will Go On" win the talent show...YOU win the audience.

• Members

When I was a senior we did some Jazz, then into some Death Metal stuff. After that we did something the coordinator of the talent show absolutely denied us to do, we did a metal cover of 'baby got back' (I don't know why they cared about that song so much, they play it at dances) and when we played that the whole school went nuts with mosh pits, crowd surfing etc.. We owned the school for about 5 minutes and probably went down as the best band to go through the school.

The moral of the story, do what you think will be most fun. Good bands never win talent shows. It's always the people who cover Mariah Carey or something.

• Members

Originally posted by Tyler N

The moral of the story, do what you think will be most fun. Good bands never win talent shows. It's always the people who cover Mariah Carey or something.

I would even go so far as to suggest playing with the confidence that there's no way you can win this. It's high school. High school is stupid. To succeed in high school, you have to do stupid things. Don't go there. Rock out to whatever you like to do. Play to the couple of girls who thought you were a dork for 3 years, smash the guitars and flip off the principal.

They'll be singing folk songs about you for years.

• Members

You have to play School's Out in school talent contests, it's the law!!! In fact, if you double check the rules, you'll probably find it's a requirement.... :D

Nah, go with what the last couple of guys said, play what the hell you want, to hell with winning. Just rock and do whatever you play best, then smash some stuff up, then moon the judges before walking off stage leaving your instruments in a pile screaming with feedback halm.gif

er, unless you aren't actually a rock band, then go with the Mariah Carey idea :D

• Members

Covers are cool but my band opted for an original at our talent show. We auditioned for it and we are in.

I feel like it shows off more than just you can play guitar/drums/bass/vocal chords...but you can actually utilize those instruments to make something your own.

Maybe its just me, but artistically it means more IMO. And I think you may be more respected for it by the kids who know a thing or two about music. But you may not win off of it.

The regular kids may not like it either, but we have a solution to it: None of my band mates (or me for that matter) are nerds/geeks/etc. We are all smart (in upper classes) and we also happen to know quite a few of the "cool" kids. So we have a few guys that said they may get out of their seats and come headbang/mosh or whatever in front of the stage. :D Just for kicks.

All in all, just have some fun...dont worry so much about winning.

Disclaimer- I am NOT trying to bash cover bands, that would be tons of fun, but for MYself I feel doing originals are more satisfying.

Archived