substance abuse

corngoodness

• Members

Back in the day I used to consume mass quantities. Gradually I tapered off and stopped, even cigarettes. The thing is, about the time I started partying, I also started playing guitar. Eventually I got some decent skills at both.

So now that I'm older and wiser, I still enjoy playing rowdy guitar music but when you play in that atmosphere, its kinda like you're the master of ceremonies. Is it possible to totally immerse myself in this crazy lifestyle and come out intact? Please don't say "Ted Nuggent never smoked or dranked none." Please.

It really makes me feel like an outsider, which I guess could be good song inspiration. I'm just curious as to others opinions of this delema. I hate bars, drunks, smoke, police, con artists, tellers of untruths, whoremongers and hustlers and want nothing to do with them anymore. How do I get gigs?

• Members

Heh, you've described our situation perfectly. My band does not smoke, drink or do drugs, yet we play music which could fit into the "barroom rock'n'roll" category and play in a lot of bars. But we're out of place in them and I think we know it and they know it. It can be pulling teeth sometimes to get bar gigs, because we're not onstage, or offstage between sets, drinking and encouraging everyone to drink. Most of the bar gigs we get are at the request of another band who is booking the bill.

I'm used to being in bars and not drinking, as I started gigging when I was underage. But in those days I always had bandmates who drank and it never occurred to me that a totally straightedge band would be a disadvantage in terms of getting bar gigs.

We're still trying to figure out the answer ourselves. One answer is to play more house parties, festivals and other non bar gigs. We like playing to all ages crowds anyhow and seem to go over well with them. But it doesn't really translate into getting bigger crowds at our next bar gig because the folks who love us at the house parties and festivals don't want to hang out in bars either. :D So its's a conundrum. Like I said we just don't play bars very often anymore.

• Members

I don't see how bands can play when they are totall messed up to be honest. I drink some and always brings some cigarillo's when I do (keeps me from wanting cigarettes again) but I NEVER get drunk before a show and if I were to tour I probably would drink even less. I think my body would be so run down I couldn't carry on if I did anything else.

• Members

There's no law that says you can't play certain places because you don't drink, smoke & drug so don't make one. Just avoid looking at people funny because they party or whatever. Nobody likes that. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but in the Los Angeles area some of the best connections you could ever make are made at AA/NA meetings. You would be amazed at some of the names. I have played with one of these guys for the last 6 years. Mostly in clubs & bars.

• Members

Originally posted by jackcheez

I don't know what part of the country you live in, but in the Los Angeles area some of the best connections you could ever make are made at AA/NA meetings. You would be amazed at some of the names.

This is true. When I lived in L.A. a lot of people went to AA/NA meetings along with recovering friends even though they were not addicts/alcoholics. We got tired of our recovering friends getting all the good gigs through the AA network! :)

Not quite the same in Atlanta or most of the South though.

• Moderators

Originally posted by corngoodness

I hate bars, drunks, smoke, police, con artists, tellers of untruths, whoremongers and hustlers and want nothing to do with them anymore. How do I get gigs?

Praise band. :o

Terry D.

P.S. Well, at least the police won't bother you.

• Members

It's your job to sell drinks. Make a deal with the bartender at the beginning of the night so that he/she just sends you coke with no booze if you must. It's all about your interplay with the audience, and you don't have to be drinking to establish that.

Archived