Help me choose my next "ensemble!"

• Members

OK kids, this week locally is the annual "Gainesville Summer Music & FIlm Showcase," or "Moefest" for short. It's kinda a high-profile thing and runs from Wednesday night to Sunday afternoon at a bunch of different local venues simultaneously.

My punk rock (and keep that in mind during your deliberations) band is playing Saturday night. I just got some cool new surplus gear to wear, and have my choice narrowed down to two.

One would be a Swiss Alpenflage Tanker Coverall:

Alpenflagecoveralls86413.jpg

If I choose that it'd be worn with boots inside the pants leg (as high boots and a coverall would look too extreme). Downside to this is that it could get mighty hot, plus I would be limited to either a white (I have an Epi V) or black guitar (I have several black guitars, a Tele, Strat, and T-60), because just about anything else is gonna clash with that "loud" coverall. While all those guitars are serviceable, none are my really "top-tier" guitars, and for more "high-profile" shows like Moefest I tend to gravitate to the more expensive axes.

Other option would be to wear some new Swedish olive drab work pants:

SwedishODpants95848.jpg

However, rather than the combat boots as pictured, I would go with my new 14" jackboots (with the cuffs up at the top of the boots), which go up to just a couple inches below the knee:

jackboots78987.jpg

Rounding out that outfit would be a studded belt and a white T-shirt from another local band (their logo has a row of skulls across the front). Advantages of that outfit is that it is cooler (short sleeves versus long sleeves, shirt can be ditched versus only able to unzip the coveralls) and I could play almost any guitar without clashing with it. Downside is that the jackboots look a wee bit Nazi (which I am certainly not!), plus the outfit does not have quite the visual impact of the coverall, since one hardly ever sees a muso wearing a coverall/flight suit onstage).

Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks for your responses!

BK

• Members
Originally posted by ratthedd

Dude, you got the wrong coveralls.

A-2106%20ss.jpg

Get some bright orange coveralls, and stencil

Haha, should we cover "Prison Bound" while we're at it?

I like the idea but my alpengflage coveralls were only a tenner. I think you have to waste at least a couple grand in attorney's fees before you can get ahold of the orange ones.

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

Haha, should we cover "Prison Bound" while we're at it?

I like the idea but my alpengflage coveralls were only a tenner. I think you have to waste at least a couple grand in attorney's fees before you can get ahold of the orange ones.

BK

Check the link in my edit (above) $30 will get you the short sleeved coveralls, or you can get separate pants and suicide vest for under $15.

• Members

Check the link in my edit (above) $30 will get you the short sleeved coveralls, or you can get separate pants and suicide vest for under $15.

See, for that $30 I could get three alpenflage coveralls. The suicide vest for $4 ain't bad though.

I've never heard of a "suicide vest" before, what's the derivation?

BK

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Krashpad

See, for that $30 I could get three alpenflage coveralls. The suicide vest for $4 ain't bad though.

I've never heard of a "suicide vest" before, what's the derivation?

BK

I have not clue where the suicide vest terminology comes from.

Between your first two suggestions, I like the workpants and jackboots combination best. If anyone accuses you of being a Nazi just tell 'em you used to be RCMP--don't those guys wear jackboots too?

Jackboots are just begging you to wear some jodhpurs, though. You'd be the most stylish punk who ever got on stage. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6553743598&category=36046

photo_brichWWII.jpg

• Members

I have not clue where the suicide vest terminology comes from.

Between your first two suggestions, I like the workpants and jackboots combination best. If anyone accuses you of being a Nazi just tell 'em you used to be RCMP--don't those guys wear jackboots too?

Jackboots are just begging you to wear some jodhpurs, though. You'd be the most stylish punk who ever got on stage.
;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6553743598&category=36046

photo_brichWWII.jpg

My guess on the suicide vest is that's what's used for prisoners on suicide watch. But it'd be cool to know why they do.

On the whole Nazi thing, the funny thing is, they're Commie boots-- DDR.

Re jodhpurs, when the OD workpants are hiked up to the tops of those jackboots they actually look pretty jodhpurish.

BK

Archived