How much wattage is enough for a large gym

TNT

• Members

My band is playing in the homecomming at my school assembly on Friday. We will be playing in a large gym that seats about 3000 people. My bass player has a 100 watt amp w/ a 15 inch speaker. I have a 160 watt 2x12. The other guitarist has an 80 watt 1x12. And the drummer insists we don't mike the drums through the crappy gym P.A.....It really sounds crappy.

Will that be loud enough? BTW we would just rent a good PA and some louder amps but we only get to play one song and we will be in a rush to move all of that on and off the floor.

• Moderators

Well, I would have to say no, your gear is not enough for that size room. High ceiling, flat walls...lost sound. Hardwood floor...lots of bounce. Is there a stage?

I am assuming the amps are all solid state.

The 100W bass amp will never do.

But if you are only doing one song....why do it at all?

Are there other bands playing? If so, then I would seriously try to go in with the other bands on a pro quality PA rental.

A room that size (a conventional HS gym) requires a lot of PA wattage.

• Members

Originally posted by fastplant

It'll be audible, but probably won't sound too good. Best bet might be to rent a good PA and mic everything.

Rent as much p.a. as possible, and find a competent soundman. I wouldn't walk into a place like that without at least 3000 watts of p.a.

• Members

Well, we decided that renting all that gear for one song was too much trouble. (plus we knew we wouldn't have very much set up time between the drama department's skits.) We seemed to be loud enough except the drums. They were audible but not loud. We played Free Bird, and got a great response from everybody. I might see if i can post a video of it. (or at least sound).

Archived