The Battle of the 9Volt Superstars: Energizer Vs Duracell!!!

wheresgrant3

• Members

In my book there is no contest. Energizer is the all time champion of all things requiring a 9 Volt battery. Over the years I've been scared into using Energizer batteries for wireless usints, effect pedals, even active pickups by many a soundman. Nearly every soundman I've come across has praised Eneregizers over Duracell. I usually don'ty think about it much, however whenever I'm in a situation where I'm forced to use a Duracell (or other brand of battery)I'm usually left disappointed.

Here is an example why:

In July I bought an active DI unit to provide a ground lift to my keyboard ,mix. I slapped a brand new Energizer battery in and forgot about it. That battery worked flawlessly until a gig on Nov 18th. During sound check I had no keyboard signal going to the main FOH mixer. After troubleshoot a few minutes I realized the battery must have finally died. That was over 4 months and more than 60 hours of use. Unfortunately all I had was a Duracell to replace it. I slapped the new battery and put some Energizers on a to do list. I figured I'd at least get two months out of the Duracells.

No such luck. In fact I only got two weeks and less than 3 gigs. Last Wednesday I showed up to a gig and again... no signal. Cause: dead battery.

For me there is no contest. Energizer batteries do keep going and going. What batteries do you use and how long do they last?

• Members

I use Duracell Procell 9-volts (I've seldom see them in regular stores - I get them from an electrical supply house that my company deals with). I've never had a problem with them. I can't say that I've done a comparison but the Duracells last for 4 - 6 months at least, so I don't see the point.

• Members

Originally posted by Bajazz

I always use rechargables in most of my gear. I make sure to insert fresh charged ones after each gig and recharge the old ones.

Back when I used ear monitors, Radio Shack rechargables worked nicely. I use the in my camera also.:thu:

• Members

Did anyone catch that 60 Minutes (or some such show) where they traced back generic brands of batteries to the factories where they were made and found out that most of them were really Energizers and Duracells with different packaging and labeling? Pretty interesting. I've only bought generics since then.

• Members

I've never experienced ANY difference worth mentionning among different battery brands or even rechargeables ...

Nowadays I only use batteries in my wireless. The rest is plugged into the wall.

IMO the one and only time voltage becomes important is in fuzz pedals. Different voltages yield different behaviours, yet if it is a good pedal, all those different sounds remain useable.

• Members

Radio Shack Alkaline batteries are made by Eveready (Energizer). What's funny is that if you read the Consumer Reoprts tests, they consistently score as the best batteries - beating both Duracell and Energizer. The reason is their freshness. Radio Shack has an unbelievable distribution system that gets them into the stores faster and they sell millions of them.

• Members

Originally posted by JMS 2

I've never experienced ANY difference worth mentionning among different battery brands or even rechargeables ...

Nowadays I only use batteries in my wireless. The rest is plugged into the wall.

IMO the one and only time voltage becomes important is in fuzz pedals. Different voltages yield different behaviours, yet if it is a good pedal, all those different sounds remain useable.

Again... just my experience.

My Sennhieser Digital 1000 wireless radio pack for guitar:

Eneregizer: 1 full 3 set gig and enough juice left over for then some.

Duracell: 2 sets, and maybe 3 songs into the 3rd set before puttering out. Keeping my body pack on standby is no good. I must turn my receiver and radio pack completely off if I am playing keys for a few songs just to conserve battery life.

Again, this is just my experience.

• Members

Originally posted by PBBPaul

Radio Shack Alkaline batteries are made by Eveready (Energizer). What's funny is that if you read the Consumer Reoprts tests, they consistently score as the best batteries - beating both Duracell and Energizer. The reason is their freshness. Radio Shack has an unbelievable distribution system that gets them into the stores faster and they sell millions of them.

That was my hunch.

Now I use NiMH rechargables and they certainly last as long as a gig, and cheaper in the long run!

• Members

I use procells in wireless mics and have GREAT results... yo ucanget themin bulk for less that the price of a regular 9V, and they last 4x longer

a word to the wise: DO NOT USE RAYOVAC BATTERIES IN PRO GEAR. I was told by an elctrician once that out of the box they actually are OVERCHARGED - sometimes as much as 11V. This can destroy the electronics of gear. They were originally designed for use in toys, hence the extra boost. We had one installed in an electric cobination on a safe at work and we were told to go get a "regular" battery like a duracell or Energizer - anything except the Rayovac

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Again... just my experience.

My Sennhieser Digital 1000 wireless radio pack for guitar:

Eneregizer: 1 full 3 set gig and enough juice left over for then some.

Duracell: 2 sets, and maybe 3 songs into the 3rd set before puttering out. Keeping my body pack on standby is no good. I must turn my receiver and radio pack completely off if I am playing keys for a few songs just to conserve battery life.

Again, this is just my experience.

Crap, I should have read your post carefully before posting.

You're talking about how long they last not how good they were ...

Yet your experience is strange.

All batteries I tried last at least 4 hours (transmitter) and 10-12 hours (in my receiver), even the no brand ones from the supermarket.

That's way enough for my gigs (anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours). I leave the transmitter on even when playing keys.

When I was in the covers band doing longer gigs, I swapped batteries once between sets just for safety.

Archived