Question for all musicians and/or singers

RockGirl

• Members

All of the above:
I listen to some of the material I'm playing (covers) but a lot of stuff to listen to is material that is beyond my ability to play (ie: Tommy Emmanuel, Dixie Dregs, Jazz is Dead, etc.).

I try to make time every day for quiet, even if its just a few minutes.

What I need to start listening to more are recordings of our live shows. IMO a great way to improve playing/performance.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In general, I have found that the deeper I have gotten into guitar, the less I listen to music. Playing my own stuff (and even learning covers or just riffs and licks) has scratches my music itch way more than listening to CDs and/or the radio. Up until I got into guitar (I started pretty late--I was 21), I was an obsessive music fan. I was always on the lookout for great CDs (mostly obsure classic rock type stuff). Now I have a whole bunch of CDs from a broad range of genres (a lot of them I "inherited" from group houses, etc.) that I almost never listen to. I have an XM subscription and I listen to that a lot, but it's mostly just channel-surfing through the stations. It's a way for me to keep up with what's happening rather than for enjoyment of the music.

Occasionally I will get obsessed over a certain song that I am trying to learn and listen to it over and over again. I'm not that analytical when it comes to randomly listening to stuff--I can generally just "listen".

The most recent song that totally knocked me out was the White Stripes Seven Nation Army. That was a few years ago.

I listen to talk radio way more than I do music.

I also can't handle music as background noise. I can't fall asleep with music on, either.

• Members
Originally posted by Blackwatch

I love listening to good music. I often ask my daughter to recomend good tunes so I know whats happening with the"kids" these days.

I have to be careful though, because I'm one of those people who remembers what he hears like it's being played on a cd player note for note. I hear the whole peice like I'm hearing it again. Anybody else have that happen? It's both a gift and a curse. It sure sucks when you get a bad song in your head. If this happens I have to find something to play to get something else in there before I go nuts....

Are you sure we're not twins separated at birth?:eek::D

• Members
Originally posted by Blackwatch

I love listening to good music. I often ask my daughter to recomend good tunes so I know whats happening with the"kids" these days.

I have to be careful though, because I'm one of those people who remembers what he hears like it's being played on a cd player note for note. I hear the whole peice like I'm hearing it again. Anybody else have that happen?

All the time :mad:

Especially when trying to do cover songs; as much as I appreciate "Making a song your own" it's really hard for me to get the original out of my head, unless it's something completely whacky and off base so far as to be a totally new version.

But for your typical live jukebox that a lot of cover bands are expected to be, I struggle with this a lot.

• Members

There are individuals who feel that listening to music other than their own will water down their originality. I understand the concept, but I can see how that can be detrimental as well. I know a lot of fellow musicians who listen to talk radio or the sound of the motor on the way to a gig. Personally, I don't listen to the radio at all. It's become a wasteland of wanna-be's, and I could care less to hear it.

I do, however, try to listen to jazz, funk, instrumental rock (e.g. Satrianni, Vai, Petrucci...), country, blues, British invasion, retro, punk... in other words, anything that will fit onto my iPod Nano.

I remember growing up on bluegrass, funk, motown, disco, jazz, and rock. My father (God rest his soul), told me that there's no right kind of music, just a song or passage that moves you. I miss his influence and guidance daily. I list to everything from Air Supply and Barry Manilow to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" and "Die With Your Boots on" move me as much as "We've Only Just Begin" and "Two Less Lonely People". My kids have the same eclectic taste, and that's good to me. I don't care if they're hopping around to rap or rocking to metal as long as it touches them.

What was the question again? Oh yeah, I listen to music constantly. :thu:

• Members

Like some others have mentioned, I'm one of those people that don't like music in the background.

I can either hold a conversation with you, or I can listen to the music. Trying to do both is a waste of time for me. If you wanna talk, let's talk. If you wanna listen to music, then let's listen to the music.

Sometimes I listen to music purely for entertainment, and then sometimes I'm listening to gain some insight on a style of music that I'm working with.

• Members

I can either hold a conversation with you, or I can listen to the music. Trying to do both is a waste of time for me.

I'm like that to a certain extent as well. I hate when people try to talk to me while I'm listening to a song I really like. I'd just as soon turn it off than have it ruined by interruptions.

• Members

Yeah, me too. I don't like it when people try to talk to me at concerts, either.

That's what I like about going to concerts or listening to CD's with my bandmate Lyle, he's the same way. We can go to a show or listen to a CD together without talking and neither of us will be insulted or think the other is ignoring them. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't stand the radio. I'll listen to talk radio and that's about it. It seems that every station has their own version of the same old crap. The country station plays the same 5 Garth tunes every day, the rock station plays the same 5 Zep tunes every day, the "cool" station plays the sme 5 Buffet tunes every day.............

For enjoyment I'll listen to mostly jazz or classical; basically the stuff that my wedding/function/club band won't ever touch.

I play electrician at my day job and often share my work environment with other tradesmen. Whoever showes up first on a job usually rules what's being played. I'm usually tortured with one of the stations listed above if I'm not there first. If I do show up first, I get a CD player going with some of my home-made CDs. I purposely jump genres and play songs that are made to irritate and hopefully drive away other workers/bosses/home-owners. Its lots o'fun! :D

• Members

music is life. i got that tat'd on my arm and i live by it. i play guitar/sing in a punk/reggae band and also pay guitar in a death metal band. i listen to Death Metal, Rap, Reggae, Punk, Classic Rock, Blues, a bit of everything. almost all day, everyday.

• Moderators

The most irritating thing imaginable is when you're doing a final mix for some clients and two are three of them are talking away in the control room just a few feet from you. Sometimes I'll try to ignore them, nudge the mix volume up a bit (you really need to mix a various volumes including LOW to see how the vocals sit) and damn if they don't talk louder to hear themselves. :mad:

Terry D.

• Members

Hi Rock Girl...

I sing with a doowop group but I don't listen to doowop or oldies on a regular. I listen to contemporary gospel artists like CeeCee Winans, Byron Cage & Pastor Clint Brown (in Orlando FL) and Smooth Jazz (or watered down jazz) like David Sanborn, Joe Sample, Brenda Russell, Phil Perry and a few more. I can't get into today's R&B or Gansta Rap... not my scene.

Archived