How do I tell the drummer he lacks dynamics?

• Moderators

Originally posted by StratAttackJack

The guy's been playing for 20 years.

Do I just come out and tell him that he's dynamically challenged? How do I present the problem in a way that won't offend him?

Drummers are hard to come by around here so we are relying on this guy!

Try to put it in a postive way. :thu:

Tell him, "Hey, can't you PLAY ANY LOUDER during the choruses?"

;)

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by StratAttackJack

In the last couple weeks I've put this band together, 2 members which are friends of mine (we've gigged together before) except the drummer is a friend of my cousins who, up until a couple weeks ago I only met once.

The guy is good, and has really improved with fitting into our style and everything, but he lacks dynamics. Everything is HIT IT AS F**KING HARD AS YOU CAN pretty much all the time. I wasn't sure if at first he was just nervous and overdoing it, but it kinda told me a lot when he said that his favorite drummer was lars ulrich
:rolleyes:

The guy's been playing for 20 years.

Do I just come out and tell him that he's dynamically challenged? How do I present the problem in a way that won't offend him?

Drummers are hard to come by around here so we are relying on this guy!

Simple solution....rehearse next time acoustically, with only the bass in a small amp... he'll either get the idea or not.

A good drummer can play at ANY volume level, so if he can't, tell him he has X amount of time to be able to, or he'll have to be replaced.

Archived