Help - Beer Distributor Sponsorship Info

elbow

• Members

Folks,

We are headlining a local festival tomorrow... maybe 8-9 bands should be there. One of the major planners/promoters of the event told me this afternoon that there was a guy from Coors that was coming to check us out and possibly offer a sponsorship to us. I thought, "WTF does that mean?" I thanked him and told him we would see him tomorrow.

What DOES that mean? I realize this is no recording deal (prolly don't want one anyways). But what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a sponsor like that? What' in it for us? What's in it for them? What should we steer away from? What should we go after?

I'm sure there are some folks on here that have seen this before.

A little background on us: We are all middle aged day-jobbers, but we have been playing festivals nearly every week this summer and we are staying busy. We play a sorta outlaw country meets ZZ Top thing. Meaning sorta country/southern rock/classic rock with some blues flavoring.... (whatever, I hate trying to describe our {censored}). We usually play about 50/50 originals and covers.. sometimes a few more originals than covers. Tomorrow we will play 2 hours so it will be about 2/3 originals.... yes we have that many.... we're geezers ok? But, we DO get down when we play :D

• Members

Originally posted by elbow

Folks,

We are headlining a local festival tomorrow... maybe 8-9 bands should be there. One of the major planners/promoters of the event told me this afternoon that there was a guy from Coors that was coming to check us out and possibly offer a sponsorship to us. I thought, "WTF does that mean?" I thanked him and told him we would see him tomorrow.

What DOES that mean? I realize this is no recording deal (prolly don't want one anyways). But what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a sponsor like that? What' in it for us? What's in it for them? What should we steer away from? What should we go after?

I'm sure there are some folks on here that have seen this before.

A little background on us: We are all middle aged day-jobbers, but we have been playing festivals nearly every week this summer and we are staying busy. We play a sorta outlaw country meets ZZ Top thing. Meaning sorta country/southern rock/classic rock with some blues flavoring.... (whatever, I hate trying to describe our {censored}). We usually play about 50/50 originals and covers.. sometimes a few more originals than covers. Tomorrow we will play 2 hours so it will be about 2/3 originals.... yes we have that many.... we're geezers ok? But, we DO get down when we play
:D

I would guess you will get a coors banner with your band name on it ...some cuzis and some hats and shirts to give out ..... typical corp advertising stuff .......you may well get some more gigs as well ......... rat

• Members

Originally posted by rhat

I would guess you will get a coors banner with your band name on it ...some cuzis and some hats and shirts to give out ..... typical corp advertising stuff .......you may well get some more gigs as well ......... rat

Is that it? :confused::rolleyes:

:idea: Hey, I need a new cuzi... shirts would be cool too :o

I was thinking they would try to gig us into the dirt for a few shirts and maybe supply some promotion. I didn't know if there were any perks or pitfalls beyond that that we should look for.

• Members

In my experience, it could mean simply placing their banner with your name on it at shows, if it's just a local distributor.

A local band whos lead guitarist plays with us, from time to time, was on Jagrmeister's roster. They had a contract they had to sign and were required to play at least three times a week at designated places around the Southeast.

• Members

That's sorta what I was looking for.

I know that trying to get us to play much more than what we are is not going to work for us and I don't know of too many advantages to having our band name on a Coors Light banner.

We'll see... may not even happen. I was just trying to see if there were any people here that had seen this before and get some advice in case the promoter was right and we were approached.

• Members

Originally posted by elbow

That's sorta what I was looking for.

I know that trying to get us to play much more than what we are is not going to work for us and I don't know of too many advantages to having our band name on a Coors Light banner.

We'll see... may not even happen. I was just trying to see if there were any people here that had seen this before and get some advice in case the promoter was right and we were approached.

A local band here (broken up now) had a girl lea singer who used to work for Jack Daniels. When she joined the band she got them to sponsor the band. JD made them 3 large banners - 2 were hung up in large local venues permanently, one went with them to shows. JD also pressed them 100 t-shirts with a large band logo on the front and a small JD logo on the back that the band didn't pay a dime for.

I'm assuming they got such a great deal because she used to work for them, was 22, and had huge yabbos.

• Members

My band is sponsored by a major beer company.

The sponsorship includes a full color 6' x 8' banner with my bands' name and a beer glass with the beer company's logo on it.

The beer company's art department designed the theme of the banner around the name of my band. I had final approval of the art work. It came out pretty cool.

They also provide us with as many full color posters as we need.

They also pay us a monthly stipend.

Basically, the only limitation the contract stipulated was that we could never play any functions at schools or where underage kids would be and use the beer company's name/banner/posters.

• Members

As everyone else said, a corproate sponsorship is usually only for promo. They want to get their product logo in front of the demographic that you perorm for. Basically, they're using you as human billboards, but on the other hand, they're paying for your band name to get distributed at no cost to you.

• Members

We've been supported by Budweiser for going on 8 years. We approached them for sponsorship and they have given us alot over the years, T-shirts, signage and just about any kind of promotional giveaways you can think of. It has not been our ticket to fame nor did we look at it that way but it has continued to open doors for us. We announce our relationship and encourage the audience to drink Budweiser products and we drink Bud products onstage. We are a weekend warrior cover band and never signed any type of formal agreement with the local distributor who helps us out. Hope that helps...............

• Members

We have sponsorship with two Budweiser beer distributors that covers a 5 county area. One is responsive, creative and fun to work with. The other is almost non-existent. In exchange for posters, artwork, free swag and a nice 13' by 6 ft banner, we usually do 3-4 free Bud events. IT's certainly helped us... especially when negotiating with local-area clubs.

Outside the distributors territory it doesn't mean dirt.

Archived