Double Bookings/Last Minute Cancellations from Bar

ned911

• Members

This one bar we play a lot has the habit of calling 1-2 days before the gig to inform us he has rented the bar to some company that wants their own band. Top if off this weekend he double booked but made some what good by splitting the night between the two bands - at reduced rate of course but it's better than no pay.

In the past everything has been verbal agreement with this guy but since he has pulled this crap 3 weekends in a row it's time for something written.

Anyone else had this issue? More specifically how did you handle "we'll play but this is the agreement which you will sign and we get paid x% if you cancel within x days" with someone that has not done written agreements.

This is when working with a booking agent really is nice.

• Members

This is abit of a tough one.

On one hand, you need some guarantee for compensation when you are holding a night open for a booked venue and they cancel, meaning you can't now book elsewhere. = lost revenue for you (and complete disrespect of your time IMO).

On the other hand, bar owners/bookers can be notoriously flakey and might choose not to hire a band that thrusts a contract in their face upon booking.

To me, the only solution is to establish a cancellation clause, hopefully written, that stipulates that the booker must inform you of a cancellation X number of days prior to the engagement (1 week, 2 weeks? A month?). Cancellations (or alterations to your orignal terms) after this date require a percentage penalty. You have to determine what this is to recoup some of your "lost opportunity" cost.

The same applies for gigs where the booker wants you to perform (i.e. work) LONGER than agreed upon. There should be some statement upon booking that each additional hour (or whatever) of performance = $xxx in additional compensation.

Obviously a contract is the only real way to enforce this policy, and we know that's a major hurdle. So.... the pressure is up on you a little bit to be a good enough band to make this stuff worthwhile for the bookers.

PM me if you want a sample 1 page "Performance Agreement"

• Members

Thanks Dave. I've already got a copy of your PA.

The problem is this is one of the better venue's in town for cover bands. The good news is we are playing 3 new venue's in the next 3 weeks. Bad news is 2 of them are spring/summer only gigs.

Archived