First Live Gig with This Band...

• Members

Up until now it's been rehearsal after rehearsal after rehearsal... and we still haven't found a keyboard play or rhythm guitarist. But, it should be fun, I hope...

Any memories from the "professionals" on 1st time gigs, any gotchas, or things to consider, tips that might be helpful? Last time I played live was about 2 years ago and that was with a Gospel band - bit of a different crowd. This will be Cinco De Mayo celebration, outdoors, and who knows what the crowd will be like, assuming anyone shows up... :)

• Members

I'm in Austin, too - where's your gig? (I'm currently working on getting our band into a bar on 6th St. during the Pecan St. Festival...)

My first was in the afternoon, in August, in a parking lot here in Austin. I remember that I felt we were ready, I don't remember any trainwrecks (other than the fact that the guy who said he'd deal with the PA hadn't - we had to help). I remember it was HOT. I also remember it was fun.

Make sure y'all are together on beginnings and endings (takeoffs and landings, takeoffs and landings) - the flying in between is the easy part. Be confident that you're ready so you can just relax and have fun (and deal with the inevitable last-minute madness - like the PA).

• Members

I'm in Austin, too - where's your gig?

Small world... :) We'll be playing in Bartlett, TX - I'm thinking we may be the only non-Tejano band out there. Our lyrics are mostly in Spanish but our music leans more towards rock'ish - about 80% original stuff.

Know of a keyboard player or rhythm guitarist looking for a band to gig with? We're not looking to tour - just weekend stuff, festivals, etc.

Thanks for the tips!

• Members

Don't sweat the small mistakes - they always happen. No one but a musician who's sat in on your practices would notice, unless you stop the song or fall off the stage.

The bassist for UFO fell off the stage when I saw them in Odessa back in '80 but that didn't even slow the rest of the band down. There was a loud "bonk", the roadies helped him back up and he was back to it!

• Members

Our current vocalist used to sing with a band called Sister/Sister. They played a gig a few years back here in Austin at the yearly rodeo in a tent sponsored by Jose Cuervo. Their drummer at that time was so wasted that he fell backwards from his throne, off the platform, and.... well... didn't play again that night... Their percussionist took over on the drums... :)

• Members

Like gtrjones said, start together and finish together, the bit in the middle most of the audience wouldn't have a clue if anything goes wrong.

Make sure you've got a spare guitar on stage plus strings, leads, picks, drumsticks, etc, basically anything you can within reason.

No-one gets drunk before or during the gig. A beer (note single beer) to calm the nerves is perfectly fine though and often a good idea.

Oh and very important, everybody smile and have a good time. If the band looks miserable as sin, the audience will not get into it. Have a laugh and the audience will have a good time.

• Members

Like gtrjones said, start together and finish together, the bit in the middle most of the audience wouldn't have a clue if anything goes wrong.

Make sure you've got a spare guitar on stage plus strings, leads, picks, drumsticks, etc, basically anything you can within reason.

No-one gets drunk before or during the gig. A beer (note single beer) to calm the nerves is perfectly fine though and often a good idea.

Oh and very important, everybody smile and have a good time. If the band looks miserable as sin, the audience will not get into it. Have a laugh and the audience will have a good time.

Guess I need to be sure to brush my teeth before getting up there... :)

Good pointers on guitars, strings, sticks... etc. Maybe I can find a spare guitarist to have on stage while I'm at it, just in case our regular guitarist (me) panics from stage fright, stays in the key of G the whole time, or just plain forgets to play... :)

• Members

I sent an email to a friend of a friend who did her first open mic coffehouse performance recently (ironically at a place called "Jitters"), and who had confessed to significant stage fright. I'm going to post a lot of it here in hopes it will help you with your nervousness, too.

It read (in part):

"I can understand your being nervous

Archived