Looking for a band

Honky-Tonk

• Members

I have been playing music for almost 25 years. Been playing guitar for about 12, off and on. For the past year I have been practicing my ass off so I can play with a band. I feel I am a competent lead and rhythym guitarist and am ready to try playing semi-professionally. Blah Blah Blah.

I have no idea where to start looking for people to play with. When I was in school it was no problem to find other musicians who like to jam, but now that I just work, I am finding it hard to meet people who play, much less play the kinds of music I want to play. I live in Nashville and I know there must be all kinds of organizations and clubs that will help with this, I'm about to go hunting on google.

Any tips? Anyone in Nahville want to hook up? I like classic rock from 60's 70's, I like punk, funk, ska, jazz, I like some 80's hair metal but can't play all the tapping and sweep picking stuff very well, Never cared much for regular metal but have been venturing into some harder stuff lately. I have a lot of performance experience in ensembles; played violin for 14 years, bassoon for 8 years, played percussion in highschool and college, I still play drums after 15 years. I have a drumset, a bass, lots of guitar gear, and some basic recording gear. Basically I have almost everything I need to contribute to a rock band. I just don't know where to meet people who share similar goals and taste in music.

• Members

How old are you and what do you like to play music wise? Also, what are your goals?

I know of a couple situations around Nashville, but not sure where your at or looking to do. Chances are they may not be exactly right, but who knows?

:idk:

• Members

How old are you and what do you like to play music wise? Also, what are your goals?

I know of a couple situations around Nashville, but not sure where your at or looking to do. Chances are they may not be exactly right, but who knows?

:idk:

Thanks for responding and check your mail. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for emailing! :wave:

Anyways I'm going to remove my email to avoid potential spam bots.

And on another note, maybe try some jam nights? I figured I'd post that here so other musicians looking for mates would try it out possibly as well.

I know specifically in Nashville of a couple on going ones. One in Hendersonville, and another at Cragnackers on Old Hickory in Hermitage.

• Members

Just a suggestion...Start you own band and be the promoter. You have enough equipment and I quess grey hair /experience to do it. Just put an ad in Craig's list and on the bulletin board at Guitar center, ect. Screen the people you want and setup some auditions.

If you do this along with going to jams your network will be very rewarding. And, if you just want to do the trio thing, if you do vocals too. It will be easy.

• Members

Nashville? I don't know...it's not known for it's music scene. You might have a hard time finding musicians there.

j/k

;)

Seriously, if you don't know any musicians, go to the local music stores. They all have bulleton boards. Make a posting. Not one of those little business card thingies. Print an 8-1/2"x11" bulleton with your phone number/e-mail address at the bottom in columns (about 20, or however many fit) and cut them so that anyone interested can rip one off. Put your experience, similar to what you wrote above. Also, talk to the employees and the customers. Especially the customers playing well - the stuff you want to do.

Also, go out and see bands who are paying the stuff you want to play. The bands themselves are working and probably won't be looking for new members (although sometimes they are), but they may have firends into the same kind of music who ARE looking for someone with your talents.

I think this minimal amount of pavement pounding should get you a few auditions, at least. Good luck!

• Members

Go out on your front porch and pick up a rock and throw it. Chances are good that whoever it hits will be a musician. :poke: HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

Seriously, if you play violin (tell them fiddle) you should be able to find something in Nashville. Double your chances if you also play keys.

• Members

Thanks for emailing!
:wave:

Anyways I'm going to remove my email to avoid potential spam bots.

And on another note, maybe try some jam nights? I figured I'd post that here so other musicians looking for mates would try it out possibly as well.

I know specifically in Nashville of a couple on going ones. One in Hendersonville, and another at Cragnackers on Old Hickory in Hermitage.

Where did you post the jam nights? I tried googling "jam night nashville" and only got writer's nights and open mic nights. I may try some of the open mic nights. I've been working on some trio format music, and can play quite the guitar part for quite a few songs, but also been trying to arrange guitar/vocal only variations on some of the same songs. I have about four songs that I could do by myself pretty decently, only problem is that my acoustic is a cheap piece of crap, I would have to perform with one of my electrics.

Archived